Off Topic Messages

Helen Reddy - Raised on Rock (1974)

Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:52 am

phpBB [video]

From her Free and Easy record. Written by Mark James. . Interestingly Helen's rendition contains the lyric " While I was in the backroom digging the Stones" which Elvis refused to record and he changed it to "Rockin on" Guess Elvis was not a Rolling Stones fan.. What do others think ?

Re: Helen Reddy - Raised on Rock (1974)

Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:15 am

Robt wrote:
phpBB [video]

From her Free and Easy record. Written by Mark James. . Interestingly Helen's rendition contains the lyric " While I was in the backroom digging the Stones" which Elvis refused to record and he changed it to "Rockin on" Guess Elvis was not a Rolling Stones fan.. What do others think ?

That was different! Not good, but different. (Not that it was ever "good.") She didn't have that rhythm in her soul. I rather liked her big hit back then. "Hear me roar!" ;)

Naw, he didn't dig the Stones, I don't think. Jagger was the thing, I think. (He danced "like a chicken on Acid.") He must have seen the T.A.M.I. show, where they followed J.B. Didn't present them in the best light.

rjm

Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:29 am

Nobody could have followed James Brown after that performance!

Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:08 pm

Interesting find, thanks for sharing. I like Helen Reddy, but that performance was a bit thin for my tastes. In fact, for me, there's always been something about that song that just....screams for more.

But more what??

Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:11 pm

Makes me appreciate the Elvis version more

Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:15 pm

rjm wrote:
Robt wrote:
phpBB [video]

That was different! Not good, but different. (Not that it was ever "good.") She didn't have that rhythm in her soul. I rather liked her big hit back then. "Hear me roar!" ;)

Naw, he didn't dig the Stones, I don't think. Jagger was the thing, I think. (He danced "like a chicken on Acid.") He must have seen the T.A.M.I. show, where they followed J.B. Didn't present them in the best light.

rjm

Elvis could hardly have dug the Stones when we was growing up as they didn't exist...unless the lyrics are about building a rockery!

Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:44 pm

rjm wrote:
Robt wrote:
phpBB [video]

rjm

In 1966 (or was it '65), he told Peter Noone of Herman 's Hermits that he liked the Stones, but of course, EP may have gone off them later. I don't know what he really thought of them by 1973.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:08 pm

I could only make it through the first verse and chorus. That track should replace waterboarding at Guantanamo!

Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:18 am

I feel the same way about Elvis' version though Pete. Well ok, it's not tantamount to torture, but I really don't like anything about it, not least because it makes no sense for him to have sung it in the first place.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:47 am

Jagger in a 1966 interview with some magazine said Elvis has been putting out rubbish for years now. Perhaps he read that. PHS had just been released so he was sort of telling it like it was. As for this Reddy version, dont like it, but dont like the song anyway. It was all wrong for Elvis in 1973.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:45 am

A very nice discovery and post Robt.
In all due respect to Ms. Reddy, this was not her finest recording. I didn't really like her cover of this song. Honestly, even Elvis' version seemed strange to me in 1973 and remains that way to me today. He started the whole rock thing, why was he singing a song like this. I have no clue what possesed Elvis to even record this.

rlj

Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:53 pm

Like other have mentioned-this is an interesting find. I've personally never been a Reddy fan. Does she still perform? As far as the song-not a song I cared for. I, too, wondered why Elvis would record it. It didn't make sense to me that the one who started it all would sing in a lyric that he was raised on it. Maybe we're thinking too hard on it-it's just a song. Elvis certainly knew who he was.

Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:11 pm

Is there any song where Elvis mentions another band in the lyrics?
Elvis was the King of Rock N Roll and I doubt he would have ever have bragged on another act in the lyrics of any of his songs.
Just wasn't him.

Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:06 pm

promiseland wrote:Is there any song where Elvis mentions another band in the lyrics?
Elvis was the King of Rock N Roll and I doubt he would have ever have bragged on another act in the lyrics of any of his songs.
Just wasn't him.

Immediately the song "Never Been to Spain" comes to mind where the Beatles are mentioned. Will have to think about some others.

rlj

Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:45 am

I have had this Album for years..... it's 'ok'., but that's all.Helen Reddy retired quite a few years ago.

Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:50 am

rlj4ep wrote:A very nice discovery and post Robt.
In all due respect to Ms. Reddy, this was not her finest recording. I didn't really like her cover of this song. Honestly, even Elvis' version seemed strange to me in 1973 and remains that way to me today. He started the whole rock thing, why was he singing a song like this. I have no clue what possesed Elvis to even record this.

rlj

I think just going by the lyrics alone, the song suits her a lot more than it does Elvis.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:00 am

i dig Johnny Winter's version. Thought it suited him better than Elvis and I feel that way because it doesn't make any logical since. How can he be Raised On Rock when it didn't exist when he was being raised? I don't know what to think of it, but heres Johnny Winter's version of Raised On Rock
phpBB [video]

Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:03 pm

Are you sure Mark James wrote "in the backroom digging the Stones" in his original lyrics?
Elvis' version was released the year before Helen Reddy's. So it could have been her version that changed the lyrics.

Was Elvis the first artist to record this song? Who else was Mark James pitching it to?

I guess the lyrics made sense for Mark James by listing the records that inspired him:
"Honky Tonk" (Bill Doggett 1956)
"Hound Dog" (obviously referring to Elvis' 1956 version)
"Johnny B. Goode" (Chuck Berry 1958)
"Chain Gang" (Sam Cooke 1960)
"Love is Strange" (Mickey & Sylvia 1956)
"Knock on Wood" (Eddie Floyd 1966)

But for Elvis, this is ridiculous! (with or without the Stones in the lyric). Must be Elvis' worst ever single!!!
Wonder if he had any saying in selecting this as a single release...

Regards,
Tom Ogland
from Norway

Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:35 am

tomogland wrote:Are you sure Mark James wrote "in the backroom digging the Stones" in his original lyrics?
Elvis' version was released the year before Helen Reddy's. So it could have been her version that changed the lyrics.

Was Elvis the first artist to record this song? Who else was Mark James pitching it to?

I guess the lyrics made sense for Mark James by listing the records that inspired him:
"Honky Tonk" (Bill Doggett 1956)
"Hound Dog" (obviously referring to Elvis' 1956 version)
"Johnny B. Goode" (Chuck Berry 1958)
"Chain Gang" (Sam Cooke 1960)
"Love is Strange" (Mickey & Sylvia 1956)
"Knock on Wood" (Eddie Floyd 1966)

But for Elvis, this is ridiculous! (with or without the Stones in the lyric). Must be Elvis' worst ever single!!!
Wonder if he had any saying in selecting this as a single release...

Regards,
Tom Ogland
from Norway

Somehow, even if the song titles were changed, it wouldn't have helped. I kinda like Winters' version some, but really, the song does "scream." In a high, tiny falsetto voice: "help me. help me!"

I'm sorry: I just don't like it.

rjm