Off Topic Messages

Re: Official FECC Feature Request Thread

Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:32 pm

The ratings column is a good idea, Jordan.

They will act as a good barometer of how popular some threads/posts actually are, and at the same time, will perhaps offer a degree of transparency.

Re: Official FECC Feature Request Thread

Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:05 pm

R2-D2 wrote:I'd like to see the "Location" info have some actual meaning. Seeing members listed as being located "under the bed" makes the board appear childish. Would possibly help members appreciate some of the language difficulties if we knew the poster's first language wasn't English. Seeing a member offering items for trade but not knowing where they are located can be really frustrating.

what's the difference between having "under the bed" and no location at all..? if you want to know all members locations that would mean that everyone would have to fill it out with what country they live in, and maybe not everyone feels like doing that. so if they have "under the bed" as their location, or no location at all really doesn't make a difference, because neither will tell you where people are from
Last edited by Elvisgirl on Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Official FECC Feature Request Thread

Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:16 pm

Loving the new look so far Jordan! Fair play to ya, as we say here in Dublin!
I'm not seeing the preview working yet - is that something I need to enable on a control panel level, though I don't see where?
Thanks,
K.

Re: Official FECC Feature Request Thread

Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:49 pm

Elvisgirl wrote:
R2-D2 wrote:I'd like to see the "Location" info have some actual meaning. Seeing members listed as being located "under the bed" makes the board appear childish. Would possibly help members appreciate some of the language difficulties if we knew the poster's first language wasn't English. Seeing a member offering items for trade but not knowing where they are located can be really frustrating.

what's the difference between having "under the bed" and no location at all..? if you want to know all members locations that would mean that everyone would have to fill it out with what country they live in, and maybe not everyone feels like doing that. so if they have "under the bed" as their location, or no location at all really doesn't make a difference, because neither will tell you where people are from


Exactly. Surely that's the whole point of being asked your LOCATION when you join the board. If it's serving no real purpose other than allowing members to enter a smart ass comment then why bother with it at all.

Re: Official FECC Feature Request Thread

Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:48 pm

Can someone please inlighten me..about the differnce between..the red letter rolling and not rolling and the star..?

Re: Official FECC Feature Request Thread

Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:53 pm

Ciscoking wrote:Can someone please inlighten me..about the differnce between..the red letter rolling and not rolling and the star..?


The red rolling means it's a "hot" topic.
Not rolling and a star mean unread posts in which you have previously replied.
The plan red letter means unread posts.

Re: Official FECC Feature Request Thread

Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:53 pm

KevinK wrote:Loving the new look so far Jordan! Fair play to ya, as we say here in Dublin!
I'm not seeing the preview working yet - is that something I need to enable on a control panel level, though I don't see where?
Thanks,
K.


Hi Kevin,
It had to be disabled. It was a good add-on in theory, but it cluttered things up way too much.

Re: Official FECC Feature Request Thread

Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:44 pm

fecc-mechanic wrote:
KevinK wrote:Loving the new look so far Jordan! Fair play to ya, as we say here in Dublin!
I'm not seeing the preview working yet - is that something I need to enable on a control panel level, though I don't see where?
Thanks,
K.


Hi Kevin,
It had to be disabled. It was a good add-on in theory, but it cluttered things up way too much.


Ah yes, I saw you mentioned that on another thread alright.
I may as well ask, is it maybe possible to put a delay on the preview? So that it doesn't pop up straight away - say maybe one second or something.. that way it's not so in your face.
I'm just fond of it because it's there on another forum I frequent, and it's one of the best features.
No worries either way.

K.

Re: Official FECC Feature Request Thread

Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:52 pm

KevinK wrote:
fecc-mechanic wrote:
KevinK wrote:Loving the new look so far Jordan! Fair play to ya, as we say here in Dublin!
I'm not seeing the preview working yet - is that something I need to enable on a control panel level, though I don't see where?
Thanks,
K.


Hi Kevin,
It had to be disabled. It was a good add-on in theory, but it cluttered things up way too much.


Ah yes, I saw you mentioned that on another thread alright.
I may as well ask, is it maybe possible to put a delay on the preview? So that it doesn't pop up straight away - say maybe one second or something.. that way it's not so in your face.
I'm just fond of it because it's there on another forum I frequent, and it's one of the best features.
No worries either way.

K.


Hi Kevin,
Sure thing - I will look into this!

Re: Official FECC Feature Request Thread

Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:52 pm

For those wanting a style closer to the old one, please see: viewtopic.php?style=6&f=2&t=73954

Re: Official FECC Feature Request Thread

Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:09 pm

Hey Jordan - Good luck in ya life and ambitions -
- I mean that from the heart - Grt new look on this Great Elvis forum buddy - Its kewl - I love It -

You and all Moderators re doing a great job on this Elvis site - Lovn It -
Jordan - may I wish you and ya family a Happy Xmas and a Prosperous New Year - God Bless -

::rocks

Re: Official FECC Feature Request Thread

Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:25 am

fecc-mechanic wrote:
Matthew wrote:We're DESPERATELY in need of a 'Facepalm' smiley.


BAM! Ask and you shall receive! :facep:

can we get a kissing smiley?

Re: Official FECC Feature Request Thread

Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:18 am

Jordan...is it possible to add a preview of the thread when you touch die title with the comouter mouse..a very helpful tool when you don`t want to read every thread....

Re: Official FECC Feature Request Thread

Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:21 am

I see sections/threads are 'rated' now by up to ten stars !

How does that work ?

I think we should be told !

Re: Official FECC Feature Request Thread

Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:09 pm

I have found a comfortable "Kindle View" - in case anyone else browses with an e-reader. (Easy on the eyes at night.)

Neat!

rjm

Re: Official FECC Feature Request Thread

Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:53 pm

ColinB wrote:I see sections/threads are 'rated' now by up to ten stars !

How does that work ?

I think we should be told !


Hi Colin!
It is rated by how many posts in a thread are "thanked". Then it is compared and averaged with other threads in the particular section.

Re: Official FECC Feature Request Thread

Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:54 pm

Ciscoking wrote:Jordan...is it possible to add a preview of the thread when you touch die title with the comouter mouse..a very helpful tool when you don`t want to read every thread....


Hi Joachim.
It was enabled for a little while, but proved to be too "busy".. I am currently trying to tweak the code for that option so it is less intrusive.

Re: Official FECC Feature Request Thread

Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:03 pm

I was just wondering..what would we do without you, Jordan..?..Man..what you are doing is just fantastic..at this very place a special "thank you very much"..from an old friend... :smt006

Re: Official FECC Feature Request Thread

Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:19 pm

Hi Jordan:

For some reason, the indicator on the far left (next to the topic name) is not changing to the color white, after I have read all of the posts in that particular topic. But this is only happening to SOME of the topics. There are some that have in fact changed to white, after reading all the posts. Also, I think it's only happening to topics that have more than 1 page (not 100% sure on this, but I think this is the case).

Re: Official FECC Feature Request Thread

Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:24 pm

Hi Rich!
Thanks! I will look into this!
Some quick trouble-shooting first. When you go to the main listing (all-elvis, etc) force a hard-refresh by pressing the "ctl" and "f5" keys on your keyboard. Do the indicators change after doing so??? If so, your browser was just holding onto the cache'd copy of that particular page.

Re: Official FECC Feature Request Thread

Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:34 pm

Hi Jordan:

I thought of the same thing and tried that, but it didn't work. By the way, I'm now 100% sure it's with topics with more than 1 page. I just did an experiment and read topics with 1 page, and then topics with multiple pages. The topics with 1 page turned to white instantly, the other topics with multiple pages did not change to white.

Re: Official FECC Feature Request Thread

Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:43 pm

Thanks Rich for the additional info.
When this occurs, do you just click on the thread link like normal, or do you click the "unread" icon to the left of the thread title (it's a little icon that looks like a sheet of paper with an arrow pointing to the bottom right)??
If you do the second, or click directly on the last page of a multi-page thread it should change the thread to read after returning to the topic-list (and pressing refresh).

Re: Official FECC Feature Request Thread

Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:45 pm

Welcome sir!

I always click on the thread link, whether it's one page or multiple pages.

Re: Official FECC Feature Request Thread

Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:04 pm

This issue should now be resolved. I have modified the code to jump directly to the first unread post when clicking the thread title.

Re: Official FECC Feature Request Thread

Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:26 pm

Hi Jordan:

I'm still experiencing the same problem. The indicator stays at the gold color, and not changing to white. But after clicking the thread title, it took me directly to the new post on the thread, which is a nice feature!