Off Topic Messages

abbott and costello question for djc

Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:11 am

How many radio shows exist still?

Re: abbott and costello question for djc

Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:55 am

Hi Ritchie,

You might find this information of interest:

Are there more A&C radio episodes in existence, other than the two dozen or so shows that have surfaced on cassette over the past 20 years?

Yes, there are more. Hundreds more. In 1985, the archivist for the A&C estates, Bob Furmanek, rescued 25 boxes of discs and recordings from a warehouse in Van Nuys. When he inspected the long-forgotten crates, Bob was shocked to discover that the boxes contained more than 300 Abbott and Costello radio appearances, from their earliest Kate Smith shows in 1938 to their last pre-recorded ABC programs in 1949. There were other recordings, too, including live performances at the Hollywood Bowl in 1946 and the War Bond Tours of 1942. Metacom released a few of these radio shows in 1986 (without the commercials), but this A&C goldmine has yet to be tapped!

http://www.abbottandcostellofanclub.com/faq.html

Best,
Bob

Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:08 pm

Don't know if this is any use.

http://www.myoldradio.com/old-radio-shows/abbott-and-costello

It says you can listen to 138 shows there.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:45 am

Ritchie, if you like Abbott and Costello, I highly recommend our book "Abbott and Costello in Hollywood."

Published by Perigee Books/Putnam Publishing in 1991, this highly detailed look at the making of Bud and Lou's feature films received excellent reviews. Library Journal called it a “definitive guide to their 36 movies.” Film historian Leonard Maltin said “More details on the making of their films than any book I've ever seen” and Anthony Slide in Classic Images said “This is about as good a "Films of" book as it is possible to compile. It cannot be better. Highly recommended.”

In the spirit of the season, if you send me your address and cover the postage, I will be happy to send you a complimentary copy.

Merry Christmas!

Bob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.