Off Topic Messages

Dusty Springfield

Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:01 pm

I've really come to appreciate Dusty Springfield's talent in recent weeks. What a fabulous performer she was, particularly in the 1960s, when she was Britain's premier female vocalist. I was only previously aware of her because Elvis covered her song, 'You don't have to say you love me.' In one of her interviews, she mentions that Elvis covered it and seemed quite pleased about that. I also find it interesting that Dusty recorded what many believe is her best album at American studios in Memphis. I don't think they met, but does anyone know if Elvis liked Dusty's work, other than the aforementioned song?

Re: Dusty Springfield

Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:05 pm

I am a huge fan of Dusty's and I asked Marty Lacker this very question. He said Elvis was aware of Dusty's work and that she recorded in Memphis and liked her music but didn't go on about her. I would have thought he would have loved her work as she was a very soulful singer. She is my favorite.

Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:31 pm

heathbarclay wrote:...I also find it interesting that Dusty recorded what many believe is her best album at American studios in Memphis...

She was so 'in awe' of her surroundings, her performances were adversely affected !

She had to re-record her vocals in another studio later...........

Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:42 pm

True Colin, although I suspect her performances were just fine in reality.

She recorded the final vocals in New York.

Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:13 pm

r&b wrote:I am a huge fan of Dusty's and I asked Marty Lacker this very question. He said Elvis was aware of Dusty's work and that she recorded in Memphis and liked her music but didn't go on about her. I would have thought he would have loved her work as she was a very soulful singer. She is my favorite.

Thanks for that info. I can't get enough of her at the moment. Don't know how she passed under my radar for so long!

Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:25 pm

heathbarclay wrote:
r&b wrote:I am a huge fan of Dusty's and I asked Marty Lacker this very question. He said Elvis was aware of Dusty's work and that she recorded in Memphis and liked her music but didn't go on about her. I would have thought he would have loved her work as she was a very soulful singer. She is my favorite.

Thanks for that info. I can't get enough of her at the moment. Don't know how she passed under my radar for so long!

Dusty Springfield has been underrated.
Unfortunately she had to sell her rights to her record company because she needed the money for het medical bills.
This results in box sets with some unreleased songs or outtakes or remixes and a lot of songs the fans already have in their collection.
Latest issue is the pink box "Going back - The definitive Dusty Springfield" which has DVD's of her TV shows, CD's, a biography book and a comprehensive discography book including song-by-song information so you can figure out what remixes and outtakes there are and on which release you can find them.