Off Topic Messages

Re: Depeche Mode's Martin Gore 'Simon Cowell should be shot'

Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:12 pm

Can´t stand Depeche Mode´s "music" but he´s definately got a point...!

Sincerely MB280E

Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:16 pm

Gore is a complete idiot to come out with a statement like that.

Im not a Simon Cowell fan but you can't blame him for being successful or blaming him on todays music.
If the public are going to buy it then they are to blame.

I watch the X Factor here in the UK and the show is just so bad its funny.
People take it so seriously and get annoyed for no reason.

Im looking forward to this years Christmas Number 1 which will probably be a Cheryl Cole/Rylan duet. Can you imagine that? :lol:

Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:27 am

[quote="Bodie"

Im looking forward to this years Christmas Number 1 which will probably be a Cheryl Cole/Rylan duet. Can you imagine that? :lol:[/quote]
Please no

Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:00 am

intheghetto wrote:"His influence in the music industry over the last God knows how many years it's been now.... It's just been like, so many people think that's what music is. What happened to bands getting together?"

http://img.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sh ... t-him.html

Considering Depeche Mode gained a member through an ad in a trade magazine, I see no reason to think that's a better way to put together a group/band than what's seen on the X-Factor - where two of the three groups in the finals were made up of friends anyway.

The X-Factor is certainly entertainment first and "credible" music 2nd, but I see no reason why there is anything wrong with pure pop. It's called pop because it's "popular"; it's not meant to be like listening to Webern.

I'm sure much of the popularity of the singers on X-Factor and the like in the UK in particular is because people actually get a chance to know the singers whose music they are buying. We can't do that in the UK much anymore. We don't have chart music shows on the main TV channels where you can see your favorite singers perform, give a short interview, play stupid games on Saturday morning kids shows (even they don't exist), or whatever. We only know singers through radio airplay and music videos. The X-Factor, The Voice and others give people a chance to get to know the performers, and therefore very much fills a void.

The other reason it's popular is because it is first and foremost an entertainment programme - the nearest we have on TV now to the old variety shows. The singers may not be professionals for the most part, the pizazz and the songs and the dancers etc, gives us that old-time feel which, again, is missing from TV these days (for better or worse).

I like the X-Factor. Yes, it's had its day, but it's lighthearted viewing on a Saturday night, provides a bit of fun and a few songs. What perhaps I have found intriguing this year is that one of the alumni from a few years back, Aiden Grimshaw, released an album this year which some have claimed to be the best to come from anyone who has appeared on the show - something which I would concur with. it didn't set the charts alight, although it did OK but, presumably because it wasn't pure pop, there has been no sign of him as a guest on the results show in the way that most alumni would have been - despite the fact that he's signed to RCA who owns Cowell's label.