Off Topic Messages

Chicago Cubs breaking the curse...

Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:40 pm

UPDATE...

The Mets reached the World Series for the first time in 15 years, beating the Cubs 8-3 Wednesday night.

Wrigley winter begins with bitter sweep, but Cubs' future is bright. The season didn't end as the Cubs had hoped it would, but that doesn't erase what happened this summer or dampen hopes for 2016.

The Curse of the Billy Goat is a sports-related curse that was placed on the Chicago Cubs in 1945 when Billy Goat Tavern owner Billy Sianis was asked to leave a World Series game against the Detroit Tigers at the Cubs' home ballpark of Wrigley Field because his pet goat's odor was bothering other fans. He was outraged and declared, "Them Cubs, they ain't gonna win no more," which has been interpreted to mean that there would never be another World Series game won at Wrigley Field. The Cubs have not won a National League pennant since this incident and have not won a World Series since 1908.
Last edited by EPA4368 on Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:06 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Re: Chicago Cubs breaking the curse...

Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:47 pm

EPA4368 wrote:Do the Cubs finally have a team that Can End the Curse ...

Ask Marty McFly.

Chris

Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:09 am

Would love to see a Cubs-Jays World Series... but let's focus on winning the pennants first!!
Go Jays Go!!!

Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:54 am

I'll be rooting for the Cubbies.

Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:42 am

elvis-fan wrote:Would love to see a Cubs-Jays World Series... but let's focus on winning the pennants first!!
Go Jays Go!!!

Hell of a game from the Jays tonight. Bautista crushed that ball to the moon. And that sweet, sweet batflip.

Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:09 pm

Looking forward to a Cubs/Royals WS.

Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:29 pm

As a lifelong Red Sox fan, I am rooting heavily for Theo, Jonny Lester, David Ross and all their mates.

And, as a lifelong Red Sox fan, I am resigned to the fact that something quite unexpectedly awful will happen to the Cubs.

Please understand, I was there, in person, the night they lost the '75 World Series. I was in the bleachers when Bucky Dent hit the home run in '78. I can't help it.

Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:12 am

elvisjock wrote:As a lifelong Red Sox fan, I am rooting heavily for Theo, Jonny Lester, David Ross and all their mates.

And, as a lifelong Red Sox fan, I am resigned to the fact that something quite unexpectedly awful will happen to the Cubs.

Please understand, I was there, in person, the night they lost the '75 World Series. I was in the bleachers when Bucky Dent hit the home run in '78. I can't help it.
But your team has won a WS since then...so there must be hope for us Cubs fans. If I was at the game, I'd shout "win one for Mr Cub!" Yes, I believe Ernie Banks is watching from above, and smiling now. But he was always smiling. 'let's play 2!"

Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:49 pm

Lonely Summer wrote:
elvisjock wrote:As a lifelong Red Sox fan, I am rooting heavily for Theo, Jonny Lester, David Ross and all their mates.

But your team has won a WS since then...so there must be hope for us Cubs fans. If I was at the game, I'd shout "win one for Mr Cub!" Yes, I believe Ernie Banks is watching from above, and smiling now. But he was always smiling. 'let's play 2!"

Ernie loved the game, he loved Chicago, and he loved the Cubs. And us Cubs fans LOVED HIM!

pics from RIP 'Mr Cub': Dedicated and famously optimistic Chicago Hall of Famer Ernie Banks dies at 83

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... es-83.html

Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:08 pm

Big game for the Cubs tonight ...

Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:31 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Big game for the Cubs tonight ...

It sure is, Doc!

Some are already bringing up the curse is at work...

The Cubs' infamously exiled billy goat was also named 'Murphy'

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/10/chicago ... t-nlcs-mlb

Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:32 pm

All they need to do is hit the ball!