Off Topic Messages

ETA Jon Cotner Sings John Lennon

Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:55 am

Another one in the ETA clown file......ETA Jon Cotner attempts to sing one of Lennon's signature tunes...........enjoy.

Re: ETA Jon Cotner Sings John Lennon

Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:02 am

He is . . . the only one.

Oh. That was not even amusing. He sounded like a dying animal. (Sorry, whoever you are, but that's probably the worst thing I've ever heard.)

rjm

Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:47 am

And some people think this fellow is Elvis! Imagine is one of the songs that just shouldn't be covered. There's just too much that can go wrong.

Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:17 pm

I managed 22 seconds of that,it will take me days to recover

Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:33 pm

keninlincs wrote:I managed 22 seconds of that,it will take me days to recover

I have to go eat now because after listening to that I have puked up everything I have eaten today.

Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:19 pm

Jon Cotner is neither an ETA nor Elvis (he has said it himself multiple times), although he definitely sounds VERY much like an older E.P (in his 70's and 80's). The tone and range of his voice are eerily reminiscent of Elvis', but it's completely Mr. Jon's natural voice - both singing and speaking. Also his looks and personality (including his positively crazy sense of humor and a strong faith in God) are very Elvis-like. He's exactly as old as Elvis would be now (yes, he was born on January 8th, 1935). He's probably not Elvis (and if he is, it's a giant miracle indeed), but he's really an unbelievable double.

Here's Mr. Jon singing "Loving Arms" - trust me, the voice is 100% natural, 'cause I know a forced voice impersonation when I hear it:

https://youtu.be/93ZWmoA8StA

For a comparison, here's Elvis' version of the same song:

https://youtu.be/OsrBhBJnZgE

Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:38 am

ElvisFan99 wrote:Jon Cotner is neither an ETA nor Elvis (he has said it himself multiple times), although he definitely sounds VERY much like an older E.P (in his 70's and 80's). The tone and range of his voice are eerily reminiscent of Elvis', but it's completely Mr. Jon's natural voice - both singing and speaking. Also his looks and personality (including his positively crazy sense of humor and a strong faith in God) are very Elvis-like. He's exactly as old as Elvis would be now (yes, he was born on January 8th, 1935). He's probably not Elvis (and if he is, it's a giant miracle indeed), but he's really an unbelievable double.

Here's Mr. Jon singing "Loving Arms" - trust me, the voice is 100% natural, 'cause I know a forced voice impersonation when I hear it:

Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:44 am

ElvisFan99 wrote:Jon Cotner is neither an ETA nor Elvis (he has said it himself multiple times), although he definitely sounds VERY much like an older E.P (in his 70's and 80's). The tone and range of his voice are eerily reminiscent of Elvis', but it's completely Mr. Jon's natural voice - both singing and speaking. Also his looks and personality (including his positively crazy sense of humor and a strong faith in God) are very Elvis-like. He's exactly as old as Elvis would be now (yes, he was born on January 8th, 1935). He's probably not Elvis (and if he is, it's a giant miracle indeed), but he's really an unbelievable double.

"He's probably not Elvis ..."

Please.

Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:15 pm

Hey, don't be so serious! He definitely isn't Elvis, I was just fooling around. Yes, I still think Mr. Jon has an incredibly similar, 100% NATURAL voice to Elvis' one, as well as are his looks and personality eerily reminiscent of Elvis', but even in my (our?) wildest dreams he ISN'T Elvis. He's just a very, very close natural double. And as I said in my previous post, Mr. Jon has always DENIED himself to be Elvis.

Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:21 pm

ElvisFan99 wrote:Hey, don't be so serious! He definitely isn't Elvis, I was just fooling around. Yes, I still think Mr. Jon has an incredibly similar, 100% NATURAL voice to Elvis' one, as well as are his looks and personality eerily reminiscent of Elvis', but even in my (our?) wildest dreams he ISN'T Elvis. He's just a very, very close natural double. And as I said in my previous post, Mr. Jon has always DENIED himself to be Elvis.

Utter garbage,his voice is as natural as Elton Johns hair

Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:56 pm

How is it impossible to have an identical - but still completely natural - voice to Elvis' one? Please remember, Mr. Jon is 80 years old, so he's certainly not a spring chicken anymore, and that can clearly be heard in his voice. It's the voice of an older Elvis, and it's coming from the mouth of someone who is neither Elvis nor an ETA. Jon Cotner is just a regular guy with a unique voice.

Do you remember a man named Jimmy "Orion" Ellis? He wasn't an ETA either, but many people believed he was Elvis. He wasn't, but he NATURALLY had the voice of Elvis. The Zorro-like mask his managers forced him to wear was just a business trick invented by the "Big Boss Men" of Sun Records (yes, you read that right) - Jimmy didn't want to wear the mask at all.

Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:11 pm

ElvisFan99 wrote:How is it impossible to have an identical - but still completely natural - voice to Elvis' one?

Natural? I don't think so. He doesn't really sound like Elvis anyway. He's trying to, but failing. And what's with the "Mr Jon" thing?

Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:45 pm

So???

Sue his a**!!! :P

Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:06 pm

Jon Cotner isn't trying to sound like Elvis, he just does (at least in my opinion)! I also think he's without a doubt the best Elvis sound-alike ever. LET ME TELL YOU, HE'S NOT A F***ING IMPERSONATOR!!!

Let me ask you, TJ, the following question: should I call him "Mrs Jon", "some old man with an Elvis-like voice", or what? Because I'd like to be polite, for me the man is "Mr. Jon Cotner". That's (sh)it.

Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:09 am

How about Jon or Mr Cotner? Would you say Mr Elvis?

You have made five posts on this board and four have been about Jon Cotner, including one where you became unusually defensive with the upper case cussing. Odd.

Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:01 pm

promiseland wrote:
keninlincs wrote:I managed 22 seconds of that,it will take me days to recover

I have to go eat now because after listening to that I have puked up everything I have eaten today.

i lasted 2 seconds longer than you promiseland and that was only because i wanted to give him a second chance but no you were right ...that was truely FOOOOOOOOOKKKKKIINNNNN awful.

i now need to go and syringe my ears to get that awful sound out of them smt172 smt172

Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:24 am

ElvisFan99 wrote:Jon Cotner isn't trying to sound like Elvis, he just does (at least in my opinion)! I also think he's without a doubt the best Elvis sound-alike ever. LET ME TELL YOU, HE'S NOT A F***ING IMPERSONATOR!!!

The video gives us a few fleeting, obscured shots of Elvis Presley at the piano from a "That's The Way It Is" rehearsal in July 1970, and during his live TV performances at NBC Burbank in June 1968, while offering none of Jon Cotner. This is meant to persuade the listener they are hearing Elvis.

And that spoken verse at the end, a la Elvis, is the only deviation from the 1971 Lennon arrangement. It is also meant to give the listener the idea they are hearing Presley.

Not good.

Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:24 am

Better.

phpBB [media]
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:50 pm

ElvisFan99 wrote:How is it impossible to have an identical - but still completely natural - voice to Elvis' one? Please remember, Mr. Jon is 80 years old, so he's certainly not a spring chicken anymore, and that can clearly be heard in his voice. It's the voice of an older Elvis, and it's coming from the mouth of someone who is neither Elvis nor an ETA. Jon Cotner is just a regular guy with a unique voice.

Do you remember a man named Jimmy "Orion" Ellis? He wasn't an ETA either, but many people believed he was Elvis. He wasn't, but he NATURALLY had the voice of Elvis. The Zorro-like mask his managers forced him to wear was just a business trick invented by the "Big Boss Men" of Sun Records (yes, you read that right) - Jimmy didn't want to wear the mask at all.

How in your wildest dreams can you claim "he NATURALLY had the voice of Elvis" ????

Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:01 pm

promiseland wrote:
ElvisFan99 wrote:How is it impossible to have an identical - but still completely natural - voice to Elvis' one? Please remember, Mr. Jon is 80 years old, so he's certainly not a spring chicken anymore, and that can clearly be heard in his voice. It's the voice of an older Elvis, and it's coming from the mouth of someone who is neither Elvis nor an ETA. Jon Cotner is just a regular guy with a unique voice.

How in your wildest dreams can you claim "he NATURALLY had the voice of Elvis" ????

He must be Pedro Sanches from the movie "Napoleon Dynamite" :D Surprisingly some Elvis fans' wildest dreams is that Elvis never died and is now using aliases - and still singing instead of keeping a very low profile. :roll: And all too many even believe it :facep:

Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:54 pm

At least he didn't record to a karaoke backing track like the other impersonators do. Oh wait.
I couldn't take any more after about 30 seconds in, let alone FIN(N)ISH the song.

No need for impersonators when you can listen to the real thing, imho.

Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:21 pm

fecc-mechanic wrote:At least he didn't record to a karaoke backing track like the other impersonators do. Oh wait.
I couldn't take any more after about 30 seconds in, let alone FIN(N)ISH the song.

No need for impersonators when you can listen to the real thing, imho.

Especially when they sound like sh*t like this Cotner Clown. :roll:

Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:31 pm

We all know Jon Cotner is not Elvis. Elvis has been dead since August 16, 1977. Jon Cotner neither is an impersonator nor ever was. He's just a regular old man from the USA. He just happens to have a voice that sounds very much like Elvis, both singing and speaking - at least to me. He also has quite a bit of similarities in his looks and personality. He has never implied he's Elvis - if he wants to record his music in the style Elvis would have done them, it's his business - not ours. The spoken verses are clearly meant to be Elvis-like, but MR. COTNER HAS NEVER WANTED TO MAKE PEOPLE BELIEVE HE'S ELVIS! He's just an Elvis-like singer, just like - for example - the late Jimmy "Orion" Ellis. By the way, Jimmy also had spoken verses on some of his songs.

PS. Let me have my own opinions of things, please!

Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:36 pm

ElvisFan99 wrote:We all know Jon Cotner is not Elvis. Elvis has been dead since August 16, 1977. Jon Cotner neither is an impersonator nor ever was. He's just a regular old man from the USA. He just happens to have a voice that sounds very much like Elvis, both singing and speaking - at least to me. He also has quite a bit of similarities in his looks and personality. He has never implied he's Elvis - if he wants to record his music in the style Elvis would have done them, it's his business - not ours. The spoken verses are clearly meant to be Elvis-like, but MR. COTNER HAS NEVER WANTED TO MAKE PEOPLE BELIEVE HE'S ELVIS! He's just an Elvis-like singer, just like - for example - the late Jimmy "Orion" Ellis. By the way, Jimmy also had spoken verses on some of his songs.

PS. Let me have my own opinions of things, please!

As I noted in my previous post, my review of the video you shared indicates he very much wants to tie himself closely to Elvis Presley:

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=73528&p=1420710#p1420710

There are no two ways about it.

Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:55 am

Interesting to simply put the name "Jon Cotner" in the search bar in YouTube ...I had known of this fraudster before but only seen videos with him singing and being gob-smacked at the comments praising him and some even claiming him to be Elvis!

I had always been quite bewildered how a guy, who would still be a multi-millionare and yet still apparently in hiding from the public (even though he would be releasing songs!), would use such a third-rate recording equipment; because he sounded like sh-- in these YouTube videos.

UPDATE: as I was typing out my comment above I watched a "debunking" video about him and apparently he must confirm all comments on his own videos, so no wonder why they were in praise of him! :smt078

This is the video I was watching:

Interesting also videos that claim that the faker Jon Cotner is a preacher who goes by the name Robert Joyce