Actors whose careers were ruined by stardom

Off Topic Messages

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
likethebike
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Actors whose careers were ruined by stardom

Post by likethebike »

Happened to catch a piece of Jubal on cable tonight and couldn't help noticing a very interesting, albeit brief supporting part for Charles Bronson. It got me thinking how much longer Bronson would wait for stardom and how unappealing it would be when he finally got it. Over the years, he developed a nice oeuvre of films and performances as a character actor- Jubal, the Great Escape, the Magnificent Seven, the Dirty Dozen, Once Upon a Time in the West, even his tough but gentle performance in Kid Galahad. When he finally became one of Hollywood's superstars with Death Wish in 1974 (although he had slowly been building lead parts to that time) it's amazing how little it paid off for him in terms of building a quality career. In the first year or two after the movie, he landed some interesting roles- Hard Times, Breakhart Pass, From Noon Til Three (which contained one of his all time best and funniest performances) after that it was like the bottom dropped out and he was doomed to repeat his character in Death Wish one way or another for the rest of his career. After awhile, not only were the movies bad but his performances suffered as well. This was certainly not the case in his character actor days.

What are some other actors whose careers have been marred by hitting the big time? Part of me says Nicolas Cage who built up a resume of interesting non-commercial parts, then made Con-Air which ushered in an era of dumb action films where his characters would often have dumb names. Unlike Bronson, though, every fourth or film Cage can still come up with something interesting like Adaptation where he brushes true greatness.

poormadpeter

Re: Actors whose careers were ruined by stardom

Post by poormadpeter »

likethebike wrote:Happened to catch a piece of Jubal on cable tonight and couldn't help noticing a very interesting, albeit brief supporting part for Charles Bronson. It got me thinking how much longer Bronson would wait for stardom and how unappealing it would be when he finally got it. Over the years, he developed a nice oeuvre of films and performances as a character actor- Jubal, the Great Escape, the Magnificent Seven, the Dirty Dozen, Once Upon a Time in the West, even his tough but gentle performance in Kid Galahad. When he finally became one of Hollywood's superstars with Death Wish in 1974 (although he had slowly been building lead parts to that time) it's amazing how little it paid off for him in terms of building a quality career. In the first year or two after the movie, he landed some interesting roles- Hard Times, Breakhart Pass, From Noon Til Three (which contained one of his all time best and funniest performances) after that it was like the bottom dropped out and he was doomed to repeat his character in Death Wish one way or another for the rest of his career. After awhile, not only were the movies bad but his performances suffered as well. This was certainly not the case in his character actor days.

What are some other actors whose careers have been marred by hitting the big time? Part of me says Nicolas Cage who built up a resume of interesting non-commercial parts, then made Con-Air which ushered in an era of dumb action films where his characters would often have dumb names. Unlike Bronson, though, every fourth or film Cage can still come up with something interesting like Adaptation where he brushes true greatness.
I don't know if careers are ruined, but certainly there are actors with interesting careers and interesting choices of films that then go down the safe route once the really big role comes along. Johnny Depp is a key example. His film career was at least a case of one Hollywood movie then one interesting movie up until Pirates came along, but now it's all pretty safe stuff with nothing really challenging or demanding coming from him. I've been watching a few things that ahd a young actor called Keir Gilchrist in them recently, and he says in one interview that he would like a career like Johnny Depp, and I'm hoping he has a far more interesting one than that.

I would say that Robert Pattinson of Twilight fame has probably had his career ruined by that franchise. Time will tell, but it seems his heart is much more in small, independent, edgy movies than blockbusters - and yet sources suggest that outside of the franchise he is known for he really isn't pulling in the punters. Oddly, Daniel Radcliffe is succeeding very well to create the career he wants for himself.

There are various rumours online linking Ryan Gosling with the Fifty Shades of Grey film. Again, I hope they are not correct. Gosling is possibly the most interesting and talented scren actor of his generation and to see him going down the blockbuster route considering all he has achieved would be very sad indeed.

promiseland
Registered for: 12 years 11 months

Post by promiseland »

George Reeves would be a prime example.

rickeap
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by rickeap »

Bronson had one good later role in the Sean Penn film Indian Runner.

The most obvious whose potential acting career was ruined by stardom might be the guy we honour on this board.

rjm
Registered for: 13 years 2 months

Post by rjm »

Oh, I know one. Had a . . . funny kinda name. And he was in this REAL big hit called "Blue Hawaii." Although this young actor made a couple of fine films in his early twenties, that was never to happen again.

Carry on.

rjm

"And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God."
Aeschylus

"Treat me mean and cruel, treat me like a fool, but love me!"

My Tumblr blog: https://robinmark64.tumblr.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/robinmark64

keninlincs
Registered for: 15 years 9 months
Mood:

Post by keninlincs »

Boris Karloff was a fine example

-instagram kenh1964

promiseland
Registered for: 12 years 11 months

Post by promiseland »

rjm wrote:Oh, I know one. Had a . . . funny kinda name. And he was in this REAL big hit called "Blue Hawaii." Although this young actor made a couple of fine films in his early twenties, that was never to happen again.

Carry on.

rjm
Yes James Dean will be missed.

Scarre
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Scarre »

poormadpeter wrote:is possibly the most interesting and talented scren actor of his generation
When people say things like this, it almost makes me laugh. For some reason it is considered that all the best actors must speak english and/or have a part in an english spoken movie.

There are many actors just as good, or better, as Gosling. In many countries. The only difference is that they don´t pursue/want a "Hollywood" career, haven´t had the chance to try to get a "Hollywood" career or they simply do not look good enough...
But still great actors.

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

keninlincs wrote:Boris Karloff was a fine example
Not really. In many ways, Karloff had a remarkable career despite his stardom. Yes, he made some cheap and tacky films but there are movies after Frankenstein and The Mummy throughout his career that were/are critically acclaimed. For example:

The Lost Patrol (1934)
The Black Cat (1934)
The Raven (1936)
The Walking Dead (1936)
Tower of London (1939)
The Body Snatcher (1945)
Isle of the Dead (1945)
Bedlam (1946)
Secret Life of Walter Mitty (1947)
Black Sabbath (1963)
The Raven (1963)
Targets (1968)

He also had a three year Broadway run in Arsenic and Old Lace (1941-44), and a lengthy run as Hook in Peter Pan from 1949-1950.

If any horror star's career was ruined by stardom or, rather, by one role, then it was Lugosi's. After Dracula he never managed to escape the role, simply repeating it over and over in one form or another and consigned to poverty row studios or very small roles for the majority of his career.

keninlincs
Registered for: 15 years 9 months
Mood:

Post by keninlincs »

poormadpeter wrote:
keninlincs wrote:Boris Karloff was a fine example
Not really. In many ways, Karloff had a remarkable career despite his stardom. Yes, he made some cheap and tacky films but there are movies after Frankenstein and The Mummy throughout his career that were/are critically acclaimed. For example:

The Lost Patrol (1934)
The Black Cat (1934)
The Raven (1936)
The Walking Dead (1936)
Tower of London (1939)
The Body Snatcher (1945)
Isle of the Dead (1945)
Bedlam (1946)
Secret Life of Walter Mitty (1947)
Black Sabbath (1963)
The Raven (1963)
Targets (1968)

He also had a three year Broadway run in Arsenic and Old Lace (1941-44), and a lengthy run as Hook in Peter Pan from 1949-1950.

If any horror star's career was ruined by stardom or, rather, by one role, then it was Lugosi's. After Dracula he never managed to escape the role, simply repeating it over and over in one form or another and consigned to poverty row studios or very small roles for the majority of his career.
ok i still think he could never top playing the monster so that was my reasoning
he made lots of great films right up until a very old age ,but he never shook off that famous role in Frankenstein or the Bride of etc

-instagram kenh1964

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

likethebike wrote:Part of me says Nicolas Cage who built up a resume of interesting non-commercial parts, then made Con-Air which ushered in an era of dumb action films where his characters would often have dumb names. Unlike Bronson, though, every fourth or film Cage can still come up with something interesting like Adaptation where he brushes true greatness.
I'd agree with that for the most part... I do enjoy some of Cage's work but mostly the lighter stuff where he doesn't really have to act... like It Could Happen to You, The Rock, Face Off (which I though was a great flick), Gone in 60 Seconds, The Family Man... there hasn't been much lately that has got my attention accept maybe Ghost Rider (which was fairly corny but mildly entertaining). He's made some strange choices in his career and I wouldn't necessarily class him as any great actor but I do enjoy some of his films.
On the flip side, an example of an actor who's career just keeps getting better and better with every film he makes is Daniel Day Lewis... I'm looking forward to seeing Lincoln... I would definitely put him at the top of the list in terms of pure acting ability... not sure if there's anyone that comes close to this guy... what an impressive body of work!

TCB-FAN
Registered for: 15 years

Post by TCB-FAN »

Speaking of "Ruined" careers (as the thread title suggests).......

Lindsay "The Ruined One" Lohan

Such a shame, 'cause she's got quite a pretty face and nice body. Oh well.

"If The Songs Don't Go Over With The Crowd, We Can Always Do A Medley Of Costumes."

Elvis A. Presley, 1970

brian
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Post by brian »

I don't know if i'd say Bronson's career was ruined by stardom.

Charles Bronson was 53 years old when he got Death Wish which is old in Hollywood.

He did make a handful of good films after that one of my favorites was Breakout.

In the early 1980s Charles Bronson was 60 years old which again is very old for an actor to get good leading roles or even good character parts.

Charles Bronson was lucky to even get to play the lead in Death Wish and it made him a bigger star than he otherwise would have been.

Johnny Depp is going through a slump right now but he could always come back with a great role in a great movie.

Nicholas Cage has always had an up and down career he'll come out with 2 or maybe 3 good roles followed by a handful of bad ones.

I can't really think of anyone's career that was ruined by stardom as it usually helps a person.

Topic author
likethebike
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by likethebike »

You obviously can't include Elvis because he was a massive star even before took a spot on the screen. You could make a case that his screen career was ruined by a certain massive success, but he was a star long before that.

On Bronson, Brian usually a big break role opens up a lot of opportunity for an actor. With Bronson, that didn't seem to be the case as the roles he played in his character movies were generally far superior to what he did as a leading man. As I noted, those first two years had some good stuff and then it was off the map. I was actually unaware of the Penn film, I'll have to check that out.

Your 50s can be a good time for an actor. Look at what Lancaster did. Or look at Clint Eastwood, who achieved superstardom at 41 with Dirty Harry and save for a bump here and there just kept getting more interesting.

I agree with Poormadpeter that Karloff staged a fine career after bursting into stardom with Frankenstein on stage and on screen. It limited him in many ways to horror as a leading man, but he did more with that genre than virtually any other actor. His work in the 1945's The Body Snatcher ranks with the great performances of the 1940s.

Poormadpeter- I actually thought of Johnny Depp, but he still does interesting pieces from time to time like Sweeney Todd which was a great success but was at the same time a very individualistic process.

I think Lugosi is a good choice but not necessarily because he always played the Count. I think he had real skill and flair as a character player as evidenced by his work in Son Of Frankenstein, and The Wolf Man but his ego demanded starring parts and many of those were in those poverty row films.

TCB fan, Lohan I think is a good choice because I think she has talent and charisma, but fame has worn her down to where she can't capitalize on those traits. She has trouble even being insured for work.

I definitely agree about Daniel Day Lewis being an actor who seems to score every time out. I personally would add George Clooney to that list. It seems when he's in a movie, it's automatically interesting and what's more I think his movies say a lot about the human condition. Some of the stuff he's done recently like Up in the Air and The Descendants is just beautiful work.

brian

Post by brian »

likethebike wrote:On Bronson, Brian usually a big break role opens up a lot of opportunity for an actor. With Bronson, that didn't seem to be the case as the roles he played in his character movies were generally far superior to what he did as a leading man. As I noted, those first two years had some good stuff and then it was off the map. I was actually unaware of the Penn film, I'll have to check that out.

Your 50s can be a good time for an actor. Look at what Lancaster did. Or look at Clint Eastwood, who achieved superstardom at 41 with Dirty Harry and save for a bump here and there just kept getting more interesting. .
I understand but that doesn't happen with every actor particularly ones that first find stardom in their fifties.

To me Death Wish, Hard Times and Breakout were his best films.

To be honest he only had a handful of good character parts in the 1960s.

Just because Bronson didn't get a lot of great leading parts over a long period of time doesn't mean his career was ruined.

He wouldn't have got to play the lead in Hard Times, Breakheart pass, Breakout, Teleflon etc. if not for Death Wish.

Maybe Charles Bronson was offered some other good films after he hit it big but turned them down.

brian

Post by brian »

If you are going to say Charles Bronson's career was ruined by stardom another example in the same vein would be Lee Marvin.

Lee Marvin probably got a lot more interesting character roles than Bronson did but when he hit leading man status with Cat Ballou his superstardom wasn't long lived either.

He played the leads in The Dirty Dozen, The Professionals, Point blank and Paint your wagon.

After that not nearly as many high profile starring roles in the 1970s.

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

Scarre wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:is possibly the most interesting and talented scren actor of his generation
When people say things like this, it almost makes me laugh. For some reason it is considered that all the best actors must speak english and/or have a part in an english spoken movie.

There are many actors just as good, or better, as Gosling. In many countries. The only difference is that they don´t pursue/want a "Hollywood" career, haven´t had the chance to try to get a "Hollywood" career or they simply do not look good enough...
But still great actors.
There is no point in being an interesting or talented actor if no-one knows who you are. There might have been greater rock n roll singers than Elvis, but if the only singing they do is in living room, then there is not much we can do about that. The key point about Gosling, and what makes him interesting, is that he chooses his vehicles extremely wisely and adds an emotional and intellectual depth them in a way that most other actors would envy. What's more, he has managed to do that despite being in Hollywood and remaining in Hollywood film. The German actor Daniel Bruhl made some wonderful films and gave wonderful performances in the first years of his career, but in recent years has almost thrown that away in films that really are not worthy of his talent. Gaspard Ulliel is another great actor who has almost thrown it all away in recent years despite wonderful performances in films such as "Strayed," The Last Day" and A Very Long Engagement" at the start of his career.

In many respects it is easier for non-English speaking actors to have a more interesting career and have their acting muscles flexed. This is why Gosling stands out - he has managed to partake in mainstream Hollywood films such as "Fracture" and yet use those as a vehicle with which to make more interesting, independent movies. It's almost the "one movie for Hollywood, one movie for me" mentality that Johnny Depp used to have.

I'm not sure, LTB about Sweeney Todd or its individuality. To me it simply came of the Tim Burton production line. Good though it is, it sees Depp staying with a tried and tested formula, albeit in the musical genre.

Sadly, the majority of those with wasted careers are young and those no longer with us. River Phoenix is a good example, and Brad Renfro (the boy in The Client) is an even better one. After a couple of fine starring roles, including the under-rated Apt Pupil, Renfro had it all laid out in front of him and literally threw his career and life away.

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

Cage's problem isn't so much with superstardom, but rather with managing the big money that comes with achieving big box-office success. He acts in a lot of stuff beneath his talents because he has to. He declared bankruptcy a fews years back, so he takes a lot of high salary effects-heavy action/adventure roles to pay the bills and to try to work himself out of the financial hole he dug himself in.

Mike Eder
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by Mike Eder »

TCB-FAN wrote:Speaking of "Ruined" careers (as the thread title suggests).......

Lindsay "The Ruined One" Lohan

Such a shame, 'cause she's got quite a pretty face and nice body. Oh well.
She came to mind for me too but I'm not sure she really was such a great actress to start. Maybe she had potential to be one.

Mike Eder

Scarre

Post by Scarre »

poormadpeter wrote:
Scarre wrote:

But still great actors.
There is no point in being an interesting or talented actor if no-one knows who you are. There might have been greater rock n roll singers than Elvis, but if the only singing they do is in living room, then there is not much we can do about that. The key point about Gosling, and what makes him interesting, is that he chooses his vehicles extremely wisely and adds an emotional and intellectual depth them in a way that most other actors would envy. What's more, he has managed to do that despite being in Hollywood and remaining in Hollywood film. The German actor Daniel Bruhl made some wonderful films and gave wonderful performances in the first years of his career, but in recent years has almost thrown that away in films that really are not worthy of his talent. Gaspard Ulliel is another great actor who has almost thrown it all away in recent years despite wonderful performances in films such as "Strayed," The Last Day" and A Very Long Engagement" at the start of his career.

In many respects it is easier for non-English speaking actors to have a more interesting career and have their acting muscles flexed. This is why Gosling stands out - he has managed to partake in mainstream Hollywood films such as "Fracture" and yet use those as a vehicle with which to make more interesting, independent movies. It's almost the "one movie for Hollywood, one movie for me" mentality that Johnny Depp used to have.

I'm not sure, LTB about Sweeney Todd or its individuality. To me it simply came of the Tim Burton production line. Good though it is, it sees Depp staying with a tried and tested formula, albeit in the musical genre.

Sadly, the majority of those with wasted careers are young and those no longer with us. River Phoenix is a good example, and Brad Renfro (the boy in The Client) is an even better one. After a couple of fine starring roles, including the under-rated Apt Pupil, Renfro had it all laid out in front of him and literally threw his career and life away.
I´m not sure you understand my point. You don´t have to be world famous. If you do it as to make a living and do it good, that´s all it takes. They don´t have to be world famous. And they are satisfied with that. People who watch non english movies knows what I´m talking about. Great actors who are just as good as "Hollywood" actors. A good example was Stellan Skarsgård. He was a famous actor long before he started making Hollywood movies. Another one was Noomi Rapace. They chose to pursue a career "over there" but many do not. Those are the ones I´m talking about. Actors that you never even heard of. Be honest, had you heard about NR, say back in 2007? No? She was no less of an actor then...

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

Scarre wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Scarre wrote:

But still great actors.

I´m not sure you understand my point. You don´t have to be world famous. If you do it as to make a living and do it good, that´s all it takes. They don´t have to be world famous. And they are satisfied with that. People who watch non english movies knows what I´m talking about. Great actors who are just as good as "Hollywood" actors. A good example was Stellan Skarsgård. He was a famous actor long before he started making Hollywood movies. Another one was Noomi Rapace. They chose to pursue a career "over there" but many do not. Those are the ones I´m talking about. Actors that you never even heard of. Be honest, had you heard about NR, say back in 2007? No? She was no less of an actor then...
Considering by 2007 she had made just 4 feature length films for cinema (and only two of which saw her in a sizeable role), I really don't think her work could be judged alongside people who have had a career for over a decade and been starring in films for all of that time. Skarsgard, meanwhile, had been an actor for decades before he started doing Hollywood films, but he still partakes in Danish productions anyway. My point regarding Gosling still stands. Before he was snapped up for his first big Hollywood role, he too was making films that nobody saw - one of which, The Slaughter Rule, was only released in the UK last year. That there are other actors elsewhere who are probably just is good is neither here nor there. I simply said that he was one of the best actors of his generation, and other names being thrown into the mix from other countries don't change that. But this thread is about actors whose career were ruined by the big roles they were in - if you are not in big films, you can hardly be classed as having reached "stardom" (at least in the context of this thread).
Last edited by poormadpeter on Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scarre

Post by Scarre »

poormadpeter wrote:
Scarre wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Scarre wrote:

But still great actors.

Considering by 2007 she had made just 4 feature length films for cinema (and only two of which saw her in a sizeable role), I really don't think her work could be judged alongside people who have had a career for over a decade and been starring in films for all of that time. Skarsgard, meanwhile, had been an actor for decades before he started doing Hollywood films, but he still partakes in Danish productions anyway. My point regarding Gosling still stands. Before he was snapped up for his first big Hollywood role, he too was making films that nobody saw - one of which, The Slaughter Rule, was only released in the UK last year. That there are other actors elsewhere who are probably just is good is neither he or nor there. I simply said that he was one of the best actors of his generation, and other names being thrown into the mix from other countries don't change that. But this thread is about actors whose career were ruined by the big roles they were in - if you are not in big films, you can hardly be classed as having reached "stardom" (at least in the context of this thread).
You are correct in that I went a bit off topic, but I just wanted to make a point about great actors. What do you mean with the text that I have highlighted? (it is a serious question).

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

Scarre wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Scarre wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Scarre wrote:

But still great actors.

Considering by 2007 she had made just 4 feature length films for cinema (and only two of which saw her in a sizeable role), I really don't think her work could be judged alongside people who have had a career for over a decade and been starring in films for all of that time. Skarsgard, meanwhile, had been an actor for decades before he started doing Hollywood films, but he still partakes in Danish productions anyway. My point regarding Gosling still stands. Before he was snapped up for his first big Hollywood role, he too was making films that nobody saw - one of which, The Slaughter Rule, was only released in the UK last year. That there are other actors elsewhere who are probably just is good is neither he or nor there. I simply said that he was one of the best actors of his generation, and other names being thrown into the mix from other countries don't change that. But this thread is about actors whose career were ruined by the big roles they were in - if you are not in big films, you can hardly be classed as having reached "stardom" (at least in the context of this thread).
You are correct in that I went a bit off topic, but I just wanted to make a point about great actors. What do you mean with the text that I have highlighted? (it is a serious question).
That should have been "here or there" - a typo, sorry. My point was simply that I said that Gosling was one of the finest actors of his generation, not that he was THE finest actor, so throwing other actors into that mix doesn't really change what I'm saying.

joshferrell
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by joshferrell »

Charlie Chaplin,although his career was indirectly responsible,his political statements etc got the government after him deporting him,and even though he still had great movies afterwards,they didn't do that well until more recent times with the age of dvd/cable..

Rosco Fatty Arbuckle,also could be an example of someone who had it all but,because of circumstances beyond his control with the death of a lady in his home from a drug overdose,his carrer came to an immediate halt.

Delboy

Post by Delboy »

A few years ago Robert Downey Jr would have easily topped this list. However, he's completed a comeback, including popcorn, that has firmly put his career back on track.