Off Topic Messages

Re: CNN: PRESIDENT OBAMA RE-ELECTED PRESIDENT!!!

Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:47 am

For those who'd like a souvenir of the night!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/election-2012/wp/2012/11/07/first-look-at-tomorrows-front-page/?Post+generic=%3Ftid%3Dsm_twitter_washingtonpost

To print.

rjm

Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:48 am

Congratulations to Mr Obama

Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:51 pm

The people have spoken. Four more years! Congrats to President Obama!

Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:21 pm

Mitch wrote:Where are all the Republicans?

Oh wait...............

They'll be back in four weeks.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:51 pm

YES!! :smt023

I'm sooooooooooooooooo relieved . . .

Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:08 pm

No real surprise that he won, now let's move on.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:33 pm

I'm going to take the high road and offer my congratulations to the President and his supporters on this board. It was a hard-fought election, but the people have spoken.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:43 pm

Mitch wrote:Where are all the Republicans?

phpBB [video]

Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:11 pm

Pete Dube wrote:I'm going to take the high road and offer my congratulations to the President and his supporters on this board. It was a hard-fought election, but the people have spoken.

You're a class guy Pete and while I don't agree on some of things you've posted in the past, that certainly was considerate. I thought Romney's speech last night was the right thing to do and he sent the message to Americans that it's now time to pull together as a nation. It's what America needs to get the economy back on the road to recovery... and boost that U.S. greenback. While I'm not American, I'm glad (for Canada's sake) that Obama is still in office. Congratulations Mr. President!!!

Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:16 pm

ECC83 wrote:No real surprise that he won, now let's move on.

Nah.....we're going to milk it for awhile.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:37 pm

For progressives, this was an incredibly consequential election.

Why It Matters:

Had Obama been defeated, his progress on health care, green energy, wall street reform, and student loan reform would have been rolled back. Our social safety net would have been slashed to pay for tax cuts for millionaires and billionaires. Romney would have been able to steal credit for the coming economic rebound, the foundation of which was predicated on the President's stimulus and recovery package. Romney's pivot to the center on social issues would have allowed him to reposition the mainstream of the Republican party (however uncomfortably for their base), and left him in a strong position for re-election. Obama's legacy would have been decimated, and it's likely he would have become a Jimmy Carter-like persona non grata even within the Democratic party. Democrats would have blamed his loss on his constant desire for compromise and reconciliation with Republicans and centrist Democrats, and the nation would have become even more polarized.

But, We won.

Obamacare is settled. America chose a future that values the availability of health insurance to all it's citizens, that values our auto industry, reigning in wall street, investing in the security of our elderly rather than the copious excess of Donald Trump's bank account. The nation chose a politically responsible future by punishing the Republican party for the reckless hostage-taking they've engaged in to try to ensure that Obama was a "one term President" -- he's still there, like it or not, he's the nation's choice for President, and you have to deal with it. We told future political candidates that you can't hide your investments, your policy proposals, take every side of every position, and blatantly lie to the public and expect to win the Presidency simply because you aren't the other guy. In that, we rewarded the serious and practical over the glib and supercilious. Obama's legacy is secure, and he might get to appoint a supreme court justice or two, decisively reshaping the court. I think he has a real opportunity to get even more done, and perhaps go down in history alongside Bill Clinton as one of the most effective presidents of the modern era.

A Changing Electorate:

The Republicans in this country fought a hard battle last night, and left nothing on the table. It looks like they almost replicated their 2008 turnout levels (current totals show them with about 2 million less voters) , while the Dems appear to have brought about 10 million fewer voters to the polls than in 2008. The problem for the GOP is that the demographic reality of the American electorate will allow the democrats to do that and still win. With every election, it becomes increasingly difficult to win with only older, white, primarily male voters, it looks as if it might have become impossible with this one.

The GOP has to do some real soul searching now, and alter their platform to appeal to women, minorities, non-Christians, and voters under 30. If they side with the party's severely conservative base, and move even further to the right, they risk total irrelevance. As Republican senator Lindsay Graham noted "We’re not losing 95 percent of African-Americans and two-thirds of Hispanics and voters under 30 because we’re not being hard-ass enough." Within the last two cycles, the ideological cleansing by the tea party (ousting safe moderate Republicans for nuttier extremists) has cost them 5 senate seats, which makes the difference in the balance of power. It's also clear that the cultural tide in the debate over abortion has shifted in the Democrats favor. It's going to be a hard road for the GOP, and I don't think it will be an easy one.

When you sit down and think about the future of the party, working with President Obama to get something done for the country all of a sudden becomes an attractive proposition.

It's going to be an interesting 4 years.

The country is moving FORWARD.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:50 pm

*And the world breathes a sigh of relief*

Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:42 pm

memphisound wrote:Pulling out my soapbox. Over the past 4 years I have been unbelievably restraint in voicing my opinion on Barack Obama. I am an extremely patient person and I gave Obama a fair shot despite not voting for him in 2008. I thought Romney was clearly the better man in this race. With that being said, I'm disappointed by the outcome of this election and strongly believe that Obama did not deserve a second term in office. I'm disappointed in the direction the American spirit is going. Many Americans feel entitled to what is not rightfully their's while hardworking people like my father and Matt Wyatt are penalized. The morals in this country are at an all time low and the level of arrogance people display along with their selfishness irks me beyond belief. I like Mitt Romney. I think he's a good man and I think he put up a good fight. Obama seems more concerned with being a celebrity in the spotlight. As such, he fits in nicely with our networking crazed society where we worship celebrities more sincerely than God (for those of you just finding out, yes, I do in fact believe). For those of you who supported Obama, I congratulate you. For those of us who were behind Romney I urge you to hold your heads up and to not act with disrespectful recoil. We're better than that. Anybody can feel free to condemn me if it makes you feel better. You can take solace in the fact that I won't stoop to calling you something disrespectful in return.

Although I agree not a whit with your sentiments, many of which simply do not jibe with reality, the overall civil tone of your post is refreshing, and I commend you for your effort. If only every deeply conservative person in the United States expressed themselves in such fashion, the country would move forward more quickly.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:48 pm

elvis-fan wrote:
Pete Dube wrote:I'm going to take the high road and offer my congratulations to the President and his supporters on this board. It was a hard-fought election, but the people have spoken.

You're a class guy Pete and while I don't agree on some of things you've posted in the past, that certainly was considerate. I thought Romney's speech last night was the right thing to do and he sent the message to Americans that it's now time to pull together as a nation. It's what America needs to get the economy back on the road to recovery... and boost that U.S. greenback. While I'm not American, I'm glad (for Canada's sake) that Obama is still in office. Congratulations Mr. President!!!

Thank you Brad.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:53 pm

Pete Dube wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:

Thank you Brad.

I appreciated your civility as well, Pete.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:17 pm

Thank you also Doc.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:40 pm

memphisound wrote:Pulling out my soapbox. Over the past 4 years I have been unbelievably restraint in voicing my opinion on Barack Obama. I am an extremely patient person and I gave Obama a fair shot despite not voting for him in 2008. I thought Romney was clearly the better man in this race. With that being said, I'm disappointed by the outcome of this election and strongly believe that Obama did not deserve a second term in office. I'm disappointed in the direction the American spirit is going. Many Americans feel entitled to what is not rightfully their's while hardworking people like my father and Matt Wyatt are penalized. The morals in this country are at an all time low and the level of arrogance people display along with their selfishness irks me beyond belief. I like Mitt Romney. I think he's a good man and I think he put up a good fight. Obama seems more concerned with being a celebrity in the spotlight. As such, he fits in nicely with our networking crazed society where we worship celebrities more sincerely than God (for those of you just finding out, yes, I do in fact believe). For those of you who supported Obama, I congratulate you. For those of us who were behind Romney I urge you to hold your heads up and to not act with disrespectful recoil. We're better than that. Anybody can feel free to condemn me if it makes you feel better. You can take solace in the fact that I won't stoop to calling you something disrespectful in return.

I totally agree with you. Our society is becoming much more selfish and immoral. I don't know what the answer is or what politicians can or should do. A teenage girl committed suicide in my area a few weeks ago, due to cyber bullying, and the posts that have appeared under her youtube appearances since her death are horrifying. There is a twisted generation out there and we should be afraid.

Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:25 am

Steve G wrote:

I totally agree with you. Our society is becoming much more selfish and immoral. I don't know what the answer is or what politicians can or should do. A teenage girl committed suicide in my area a few weeks ago, due to cyber bullying, and the posts that have appeared under her youtube appearances since her death are horrifying. There is a twisted generation out there and we should be afraid.

The world isn't becoming more immoral, it is simply easier to do more damage these days. With regards to bullying, it is a problem everywhere, not just in the USA. That said, some of the American issues with it have even made our news in the UK in recent years - particularly when there a large amounts of bullying-related suicides of homosexual gay and lesbian teenagers a few years back in the US. The plight of young gay teens in a Romney-led government was genuinely terrifying, and a real scare after all the great work Obama has done towards equality in America.

Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:30 am

Rob wrote:
ECC83 wrote:No real surprise that he won, now let's move on.

Nah.....we're going to milk it for awhile.

Good idea, more arm-chair commentary and useless analytics is just what every forum needs.

Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:15 am

One more thing: if you look closely at my "toast" picture (and I would have toasted either winner), on the mantel, you'll see a Santa Sleigh, in front of the candelabra. It's a gift from shopelvis! It's an Elvis-Santa Sleigh, and Santa and his Reindeer are bringing Gold Records, Graceland, Cadillacs . . . to Elvis). It says "TCB-Christmas." It's really, really nice: excellent quality, very heavy, and it was the Bradford Exhange, who made it, and it's really high quality! A gift! I'll get a close-up by the time the holidays really kick in.

I found a picture of it on the 'net! It's really nice, and I'll get you a close up!

Did anyone else ever get this?

Just zoom the browser, and you can see it! Nice collectible. :D

rjm (now back to the festivities, and back to work)

Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:07 am

rjm wrote:For those who'd like a souvenir of the night!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/election-2012/wp/2012/11/07/first-look-at-tomorrows-front-page/?Post+generic=%3Ftid%3Dsm_twitter_washingtonpost

To print.

rjm

Nice.

Find ALL the major newspaper front pages for 11-07-2012 here:

Newseum | Today's Front Pages | Gallery View
http://www.newseum.org/todaysfrontpages/default.asp