Off Topic Messages

TV shows - what do you watch?

Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:13 pm

We have quite a few threads on here at various points about films we have enjoyed, or non-Elvis music we have enjoye, but we very rarely mention TV. It seems ironic that it's me starting the thread as I actually watch very little!

i confess most of the stuff that I watch is what I would class as "guilty pleasures", and often is just an easy watch that is a great alternative to the often "heavier" films I have to watch for the phd. So, while I could possibly be enjoying the high quality dramas from PBS, I land up watching lighthearted, often bland, shows. Supernatural is a prime example - although season 8 is so horrendous, I am likely to part company with Sam and Dean after 7 years unless it improves drastically.

When I do "catch up" with a series, it is often because I watch a single episode and somehow get hooked. The pilot of Jericho, from a few years back now, was shown on the science fiction module when I was doing my BA degree, and I landed up watching that from start to finish, and enjoying it very much. I also picked up the first season boxed set of a series called Kyle XY for £1 at a record fair, and enjoyed that very much too, although it's not the type of show I would normally even think about watching.

This last week I have been watching a very strange series called The United States of Tara that I got curious about (downloaded it, I confess - but not available in the UK). I have watched a series and a half and am still not sure whether i like it or not, but I'm intrigued as to where it's going to go, and so will no doubt see it through to the end.

As for what's on now, I confess that I am hooked on the UK teatime quiz show, Pointless. The lighthearted nature of it reminds me very much of the quizzes that were on when I was growing up in the 1980s when the host used to have fun with the contestants. There is something very "warm" about Pointless, I think, and it's perfect viewing with a cup of tea and a packet of biscuits.

what for you folks is "must-see" TV - either something on now, or something from a few years back that you have watched via a DVD boxed set?

Re: TV shows - what do you watch?

Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:25 pm

What do i currently watch that's still showing new episodes?

Revolution
Happy Endings
Sons of Anarchy
Modern Family
Homeland
Dexter
Boardwalk Empire
Game of thrones
Breaking bad
Mad men

I watch the NFL and the NBA.

I occasionally watch Criminal minds and Law & order SVU but i'm not a regular viewer.

Shows from a long time ago that i use to watch.

Gunsmoke
Bonanza
The Twilight Zone
Gilligan's island
The munsters
The Big valley
Alias Smith & Jones
MASH
All in the family
Sanford & Son
Dallas
Hill street blues
Dynasty
Family ties
The Cosby show
Who's the boss
Growing pains
Family matters
Quantum leap
The Simpsons
Pickett fences
Seinfeld
Home improvement
The X-Files
Homicide: life on the street.
NYPD Blue
ER
Early edition
Angel
The Sopranos
Monk
The Shield
Battlestar Galactica
Lost
Prison break
Friday night lights
Chuck
Last edited by brian on Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:46 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:26 pm

there's already a thread about this about 10 threads down viewtopic.php?f=2&t=71304

Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:43 pm

Elvisgirl wrote:there's already a thread about this about 10 threads down viewtopic.php?f=2&t=71304

That thread is three months old and no one bothered to comment on it.

Unlike that other thread this topic is already so much better because i have chosen to participate in it.

Now do you have some favorite t.v. shows Elvisgirl?

Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:33 am

damn, it must have got buried under the political efforts!

Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:30 am

brian wrote:
Elvisgirl wrote:there's already a thread about this about 10 threads down viewtopic.php?f=2&t=71304

That thread is three months old and no one bothered to comment on it.

Unlike that other thread this topic is already so much better because i have chosen to participate in it.

Now do you have some favorite t.v. shows Elvisgirl?

yes...i posted them in the other thread