Off Topic Messages

The Left Banke - Walk Away Renee / Pretty Ballerina

Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:54 am

"Walk Away Renee" by the Left Banke has always been a favorite of mine.

phpBB [video]

Another of the major hits was "Pretty Ballerina"

phpBB [video]

Unfortunately, a rift betwen pianist / main songwriter of the group Michael Brown and the others in the group split the group. Brown would later become a member of the group Stories (1973 hit "Brother Louie"). A few years ago while looking up some information about the group I came across an interview on youtube with bassist Tom Finn of the group. It was his then girlfriend, Renee Fladen, that inspired Brown to write the song "Walk Away, Renee." In the interview he basically felt that he would never reform the Left Banke, let alone Brown would join them on-stage for a live performance....

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Lo and behold, like the title of the Eagles reunion album, Hell does indeed freeze over.

phpBB [video]

And the total surprise is that Michael Brown even joined them on stage to play piano on "Pretty Ballerina"

phpBB [video]

Daryl
Last edited by Daryl on Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Re: The Left Banke - Walk Away Renee / Pretty Ballerina

Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:36 pm

Great group, duly influenced by the Byrds and Beatles. The first album is really good. My friend's band used to cover "She May Call You Up Tonight" in concert to great effect. They later put it on an album.

phpBB [video]

The Sneetches, "She May Call You Up Tonight," Slow (Alias Records, 1990)

Great U.K. singer-songwriter Billy Bragg released a unique, sweet cover of "Walk Away Renee" as a B-side:

phpBB [video]

Billy Bragg, "Walk Away Renee (Version)" (Go! Discs GODX 12, 1986)
Note: one B-side of "Levi Stubbs' Tears"
http://www.discogs.com/Billy-Bragg-Levi-Stubbs-Tears/release/1238713

Re: The Left Banke - Walk Away Renee / Pretty Ballerina

Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:43 am

I love this song very much.

Here are a few covers
phpBB [video]

The Four Tops took this song to #14 in 1968.

phpBB [video]

In 1992 Australian singer Rick Price had a monster hit in Asia.