Off Topic Messages

BRUCE ROCKS TELETHON - LINES REMAIN OPEN!

Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:28 am

It just ended. Bruce was fantastic doing a pastiche of "This Train" and "People Get Ready" and he really must have pulled in a lot of donations! "You don't need no ticket; you just get on board!"

Text: "REDCROSS" to 90999 to make a $10 donation

http://www.redcross.org
1-800-RED-CROSS

Direct to the web: http://www.redcross.org/hurricane-sandy?scode=RSG00000E017&subcode=paiddonationsbrand&gclid=CNfwqZCcrLMCFQtxQgodhUMAOg

Just open your ITunes, and go to the "store," hit "American Red Cross," and there you are, hit a button. DONE! I did it!
DONATE_ITUNES.jpg

rjm
------------------

http://www.nbc.com/hurricane-sandy-coming-together/

Friday, a joint live broadcast of a huge benefit for SANDY victims will take place on NBC related channels, and other channels, not yet known. It is TONIGHT!

NEW YORK, N.Y. (WTVA) -- Kevin Bacon, Mary J. Blige, Tina Fey (NBC’s “30 Rock”), James Gandolfini, Al Roker (NBC’s “Today”) and Jon Stewart are the newest stars to join NBC Universal’s broadcast of “Hurricane Sandy: Coming Together.”

The one-hour live benefit telethon will air Friday, November 2, (8-9 pm EST - ADJUST FOR TIME ZONE - I think it's live everywhere, so tune in a little early so you won't miss it!) across the networks of NBC Universal, including NBC, Bravo, CNBC, E!, G4, MSNBC, Style, Syfy and USA.

The NBC Sports Network and The Weather Channel also have now signed on to air the event.

Bacon, Blige, Fey, Gandolfini, Roker and Stewart join the current lineup of previously announced performers, including Christina Aguilera (NBC’s “The Voice”), Jon Bon Jovi, Billy Joel, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, and Sting, with appearances by Jimmy Fallon (NBC’s “Late Night with Jimmy Fallon”) and NBC News’ Brian Williams.

Hosted by NBC “Today” anchor Matt Lauer, the telethon will be broadcast from the New York studios of NBC at 30 Rockefeller Plaza. It will air live across the East Coast and tape-delayed on the West.

Additional networks are expected to join the broadcast of the telethon prior to airtime.

Money collected will be donated to the American Red Cross relief efforts for Hurricane Sandy.

The telethon also will be live-streamed on NBC.com.

Doesn't matter if you like, or do not like some of the artists performing. This is VERY important, and there's sure to be SOMEBODY you enjoy! Bruce is on! Lots of Jersey people.

Watch it, and get out your credit of debit cards, for relief efforts! The need is enormous, and the need is NOW!

http://thecelebritycafe.com/feature/2012/11/hbo-nbc-join-together-hurricane-sandy-live-benefit-concert

http://news.yahoo.com/nbc-benefit-concert-friday-aid-sandy-victims-143251705.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20121101/us-superstorm-sandy-benefit-concert/

If you can't tune in for whatever reason: just go the American Red Cross: http://www.redcross.org/hurricane-sandy?scode=RSG00000E017&subcode=paiddonationsbrand&gclid=CNfwqZCcrLMCFQtxQgodhUMAOg

"Hurricane Sandy: Coming Together will air Friday, November 2 at 8 PM Eastern/7 PM Central (which is three hours earlier on the west coast) on several channels within the NBC Universal family, including Bravo, CNBC, E!, G4, MSNBC, Style, Syfy and USA. You can also catch via live-stream on NBC.com."

Tune in! Enjoy, and give! (You can also go to your local Red Cross and give blood. But mostly, they need the green stuff. Do not send in old clothes, or food; they're not storing that stuff. They will distribute what is actually and presently needed according to triage methods. {Any agency who asks for such - and they will, probably won't even distribute most of it. And certainly not now. I was in such a warehouse, a HUGE warehouse - a major charity that is not the Red Cross, a year AFTER Katrina, and it was all just sitting there. New clothes, brand new bicycles, food (yes, food!) . . . none of it disbursed.}

P.S. -- The video I made is a BENEFIT; if you like it, please click the associate link in the comment section, and give whatever you can. It's a direct link. http://www.redcross.org/hurricane-sandy?scode=RSG00000E017&subcode=paiddonationsbrand&gclid=CNfwqZCcrLMCFQtxQgodhUMAOg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by rjm on Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:06 am, edited 5 times in total.

Re: HUGE LIVE SANDY TELETHON! 11-2-12! TONIGHT!

Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:04 pm

Telecast update for TONIGHT! Please see above. The show is only one hour long, apparently, so don't miss it! And give!

If you can't http://www.redcross.com

Also, this! You may donate through your ITunes account. Easy-peasy. http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/1/3585280/american-red-cross-donations-for-hurricane-sandy-relief-now-being

You don't need a Mac! (Nor an IPhone, nor an IPad, or even an IPod.) Just the free ITunes program, and an account. This is a screenshot from my 'puter, which is a Windows computer.

DONATE_ITUNES.jpg

rjm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: HUGE LIVE SANDY TELETHON! NOW!!

Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:06 am

It's over, but you may still give, of course! Bruce closed the show; see above!

---------
LIVE NOW!!! STREAM:

Bruce has been playing guitar; I think he'll probably close the show. Don't miss this! And please donate. I just did in my ITunes. It's easy! Just open up the "store" click "Red Cross" and donate! That's all. If you can buy some collectible record for a lot more money, remember that the death toll has climbed into three figures, and uncounted numbers lost EVERYTHING! All their belongings . . . they have no "collections." PLEASE HELP!!!

rjm

Re: BRUCE STAR OF TELETHON - LINES REMAIN OPEN!

Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:33 am

I screwed up and only caught the last 2 mins. I forgot that because of our clocks going back, we are now only four hours ahead of the US east coast.

What did Billy Joel sing?

Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:33 am

TJ wrote:I screwed up and only caught the last 2 mins. I forgot that because of our clocks going back, we are now only four hours ahead of the US east coast.

What did Billy Joel sing?

Aw, gee, I forgot! I kept looking to see Bruce playing guitar! :oops: He was good! They were all good! Bruce was fantastic, I thought, and I DO remember what he did! (See above.) I should have written them down. And most sang most appropriate songs, but I . . . for the life of me, I can't recall. Several, together, sang and played an oldie together at one point, with Bruce on guitar. A very appropriate number, but uh, I forgot! I just kept looking to see who was playing in the background!

It was exciting; Jon Stewart was there, and there were actually three hosts, with Fallon taking a back seat to Williams and Stewart who are both from Jersey. Bon Jovi had himself filmed on a tour of his hometown. That was really good.

I'm sorry!

rjm

Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:35 am

Ok, TJ. There were reporters who wrote it all down!

Songs offer messages of hope at Sandy benefit show
November 3, 2012
Associated Press
Save |
NEW YORK (AP) — From "Livin' on a Prayer" to "The Living Proof," every song Friday at NBC's benefit concert for superstorm Sandy victims became a message song.

New Jersey's Jon Bon Jovi gave extra meaning to "Who Says You Can't Go Home." Billy Joel worked in a reference to Staten Island, the decimated New York City borough. The hourlong event, hosted by Matt Lauer, was heavy on stars and lyrics identified with New Jersey and the New York metropolitan area, which took the brunt of this week's deadly storm. The telethon was a mix of music, storm footage and calls for donations from Jon Stewart, Tina Fey, Whoopi Goldberg and others.

The mood was somber but hopeful, from Christina Aguilera's "Beautiful" to Bon Jovi's "Livin' on a Prayer" and a tearful Mary J. Blige's "The Living Proof," her ballad of resilience with the timely declaration that "the worst is over/I can start living now." Joel rocked out with "Miami 2017 (Seen the Lights Go Out on Broadway)," a song born from crisis, New York City's near bankruptcy in the 1970s, while Jimmy Fallon endured a faulty microphone and gamely led an all-star performance of the Drifters' "Under the Boardwalk" that featured Joel, Bruce Springsteen and Steven Tyler. The Aerosmith frontman then sat behind a piano and gave his all on a strained but deeply emotional "Dream On." Sting was equally passionate during an acoustic, muscular version of The Police hit "Message In a Bottle" and its promise to "send an SOS to the world."

The show ended, as it only could, with Springsteen and the E Street Band, tearing into "Land Of Hope and Dreams."

"God bless New York," Springsteen, New Jersey's ageless native son, said in conclusion. "God bless the Jersey shore."

The stable of NBC Universal networks, including USA, CNBC, MSNBC, E! Entertainment, The Weather Channel and Bravo, aired the concert live from the NBC studios in Rockefeller Center in midtown Manhattan, several blocks north of where the city went days without power.

NBC Universal invited other networks to televise the event, but not everyone signed on.

That might have something to do with network rivalries.

In the wake of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, the networks organized a benefit together behind the scenes and it was televised on more than 30 networks simultaneously, including all the big broadcasters.

After Hurricane Katrina, NBC televised its own benefit before the other broadcasters, one that became best known for Kanye West's off-script declaration that "George Bush doesn't care about black people." The other broadcasters cooperated on their own telethon a week later, and NBC televised that one, too.

Also this year, NBC organized and scheduled a telethon and gave others the chance to air it.

Others declined to televise Friday's telethon, even though ABC parent Walt Disney Co. said it would donate $2 million to the American Red Cross and various ABC shows will promote a "Day of Giving" on Monday. The CBS Corp., Viacom Inc., parent of "Jersey Shore" network MTV, Fox network owner News Corp. also announced big donations to the Red Cross.

And I forgot that "Land of Hopes And Dreams" from the recent album includes the "This Train" and "People Get Ready" that I mentioned, as a pastiche. But this was much, much more moving. It really, really worked!!

rjm

Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:20 am

No Kanye West?!?!

This is an outrage!

Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:24 am

iplayastrat wrote:No Kanye West?!?!

This is an outrage!

Your unsurprising, out-of-the blue comment is the real outrage.

Thanks for the thoughtful topic and follow-up posts, rjm.

P.S. Kanye was right.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:40 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Your unsurprising, out-of-the blue comment is the real outrage.

P.S. Kanye was right.

Glad you enjoyed it. You must be sitting on ready this morning.
I suppose with equal time Hank Jr. if he'd been invited might have
said something as racist as Kanye did. You agreeing with him says
a lot about yourself. Though I going to give you a little more credit
than that. I know you don't believe what Kanye said was right.

Before you start tearing up on a sensitive topic (the hurricane), I'll
tell you right quick like Longshanks that I've been through some terrible
storms, more hurricanes than I'd like to remember. And you don't know
what it's like until you've been in one or more. Matter of fact I can look
out my window and still see what one of the storms did to our silos. Not
to mention being without power and running water for over two weeks.
So put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:09 pm

iplayastrat wrote:I suppose with equal time Hank Jr. if he'd been invited might have said something as racist as Kanye did.

Ironic.

As someone with African-American friends, you may be surprised to learn that my affirming West's statement of fact is shared by every single one of them. Clearly your memory of how the Bush administration mishandled the Hurricane Katrina disaster is as short as your attention span on FECC.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:10 pm

Thanks for posting the overview rjm. Sounds like there were some interesting performances. I'm hoping that they are streaming the recording here:

It's not loading right now, but perhaps it will later.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:05 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
As someone with African-American friends, you may be surprised to learn that my affirming West's statement of fact is shared by every single one of them. Clearly your memory of how the Bush administration mishandled the Hurricane Katrina disaster is as short as your attention span on FECC.

Who are you George Costanza? You remind me of him when he was trying to prove he
had a black friend for his boss. Just by chance, one of your friends isn't named Karl "The
Exterminator"
is he? What's most surprising by your statement is that you say you have
friends. I hope that's true.

Short attention span must be some kind of disease that's spreading on the FECC.
While you're able to recall every detail of the Bush Administration, you seem oblivious
to what's happening now. Did you happen to see your Democratic friends walking around
getting shouted down by all the people that are suffering? But you wouldn't blame anyone
but the president for something like this based on your countless previous posts.

I don't blame President Obama, which I'm assuming you do. I don't care what you say,
the storm is not his fault. It's time to quit blaming presidents for things they can't control.
Could Obama have done a better job concerning the storm? Of course he could have.
He's not perfect you know.

To end on a positive note and let RJM's thread continue, I'm very encouraged to find out
you have friends of any color.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:53 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
iplayastrat wrote:No Kanye West?!?!

This is an outrage!

Your unsurprising, out-of-the blue comment is the real outrage.

Thank you, Doc. :smt006

drjohncarpenter wrote:P.S. Kanye was right.

Yes, he apparently was - considering the neglect of the Katrina victims. The question is whether it was the right venue to say it? I don't know: perhaps the situation was so desperate at the time, that it was the right place, or maybe he could have chosen to hold his own press conference. It's a judgement call, as to what was better for the people of Katrina.

Let's recall that Fats Domino was stranded in his place in the 9th ward for some time before finally being rescued. Can you imagine any well-know Jersey icon being left stranded in an apartment, this time, in say, Hoboken? If Buddy the Baker was stranded, would not the current President send in the Army to get him out? (I LOVE the Valastros, okay? And I would be going crazy if they were in such trouble; as it is I was very worried. But within an hour of finding out about the dire situation in Hoboken, the National Guard rolled in to the small-sized big town, and began rescuing people.)

Why would, exactly, Hank, Jr., have any REASON to say the President "doesn't care about (white) people" this time? He clearly DOES!

(CBS makes you click out to YouTube to watch it; sorry for that.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4y2_wmYjR5Q&hd=1

Dubya, in Haiti (wiping his hand on Bill Clinton's shirt, after shaking a Haitian person's hand):

At 00:51 seconds.

phpBB [video]

Now, this is Dubya's closest family member, who showed that the New Orleans disaster just prayed on their minds, all the time! Why, all they could think of . . . was . . . that hurricane. What was it's name again??? Hmmm. Hard question; I guess her husband, The President, must have talked about the name of that hurricane all the time, because HE CARED SO MUCH!

phpBB [video]

It is certainly debatable whether West should have chosen that venue to make his critique.

What would Hank, Jr. have to say, exactly with his "equal time"? (And what does that mean, anyway? That only Democrats care about THIS storm, or the other one(s) . . . I don't know??? What does that mean?) And did Jr. volunteer to help? At any time? In any of these disasters? Perhaps. What is he doing, now? This would be a good time to shore up his rep. by doing something good for the people, and all are welcome to help. Show me, even though I'm not from Missouri.

rjm
P.S. -- One more thing; people in New Orleans thought Fats was dead, and wrote RIP on the wall. He was alive in there, and was rescued.
FatsDomino_Katrina.jpg

Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:17 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:As someone with African-American friends......

http://ideas.time.com/2012/04/09/theproblem-with-the-my-best-friend-is-black-defense/

Chris

Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:01 am

ChrisUK wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:As someone with African-American friends......

http://ideas.time.com/2012/04/09/theproblem-with-the-my-best-friend-is-black-defense/

Chris

What does he have to defend? Hank Jr. might could use that one!

rjm (And why do people take a thread like this, and once again use it to kick a certain person - not me, around, just for kicks? There's a time and place for everything - well, almost everything, and this sure ain't it. Hey, maybe his black friends are VERY UNUSUAL in their disdain for Dubya, and most others just adore ex-President Bush (43). Anything is possible . . . :roll: You will also note that this sort of disdain is most often reserved for Bush (43), and rarely, if ever for his dad. That says a lot, I think!)

P.S. -- TJ, you're welcome! (So much sturm and drang going on, I missed it!) :smt006