Off Topic Messages

St. Louis Rams set to beat New England Patriots at Wembley

Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:16 am

http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Rams-Adjusting-Well-to-London/46ad5dc8-2d10-4d7d-85aa-3aed885d30c0

Anyone going to the game on Sunday at Wembley? Please cheer on our lads in Blue and Gold!!

Re: St. Louis Rams set to beat New England Patriots at Wembl

Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:50 am

MaryAnn wrote:http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Rams-Adjusting-Well-to-London/46ad5dc8-2d10-4d7d-85aa-3aed885d30c0

Please cheer on our lads in Blue and Gold!!

I will for the sake of the Dolphins.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:59 am

iplayastrat wrote:

COOL!

The owner of the St. Louis Rams, Stan Kroenke, also owns the prestigious Arsenal soccer team.

The world is on the brink of shrinking yet again.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:21 am

MaryAnn wrote:
COOL!

Not so cool MaryAnn. My local CBS station WKRG
is choosing to show the Rams/Patriots game instead
of my Dolphins. Boo!!!

I bet Joe Biden had something to do with this.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:52 am

iplayastrat wrote:
MaryAnn wrote:
COOL!

Not so cool MaryAnn. My local CBS station WKRG
is choosing to show the Rams/Patriots game instead
of my Dolphins. Boo!!!

I bet Joe Biden had something to do with this.

I'm sorry, IPAS. All about the almighty advertising dollar.

Don't give Joe Biden so much credit. LOL

Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:48 am

I didn't know! They did this a few years ago, as I recall. (Fill me in if I missed something.) Anyway, you guys have got to GET WITH THE PROGRAM! You will LOVE this sport! Try to play a little flag or touch, at least, and you'll see: it's fun!

If y'all start playing, it'll finally get into the Olympics. Beats heck outta Beach Volleyball or synchronized swimming!

Enjoy some good old-fashioned American violence! (Controlled, controlled!)

THIS is what we call a "football"!

rjm

Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:03 am

rjm wrote:THIS is what we call a "football"!

rjm

Indeed RJM.

Back in the day I could throw one of those odd shaped things
well over 50 yards. But now, not so much...

Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:14 am

MORE fun!!! :D

http://www.stlouisrams.com/media-center/videos/Cheerleader-Beatles-Photo-Shoot/0c530e5a-6976-4b23-b2ea-2d5225cf3494

Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:35 am

Not sure how the Rams are "set" to beat the Patriots in the UK. Yes, the could win, but they certainly aren't going in as favorites....

Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:50 am

midnightx wrote:Not sure how the Rams are "set" to beat the Patriots in the UK. Yes, the could win, but they certainly aren't going in as favorites....

When a team from St. Louis, Missouri takes the field, they are always "set" to win. That's the goal and the hope of the team and their fans anyway. Nothing wrong with being the underdog! :wink:

Perhaps being from.... ummm... wherever you're from.... you see it differently. :P

Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:38 am

MaryAnn wrote:MORE fun!!! :D

http://www.stlouisrams.com/media-center/videos/Cheerleader-Beatles-Photo-Shoot/0c530e5a-6976-4b23-b2ea-2d5225cf3494

Well, why not "barefoot"? They have "bared" much else! :mrgreen:

rjm
P.S. -- I don't know if I ever got "50 yards," but I got it pretty far! The secret? Centrifugal force! (Read Joe Namath and Bob Oates's A Matter of Style. Seriously. You can get it used for cheap. I read this book over and over, and then, in Dec. 1980, he autographed it!!! And he kissed me. :smt007 http://www.amazon.com/matter-style-Joe-Willie-Namath/dp/0316596906/ref=pd_sim_b_1 )

Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:08 am

MaryAnn wrote:
midnightx wrote:Not sure how the Rams are "set" to beat the Patriots in the UK. Yes, the could win, but they certainly aren't going in as favorites....

When a team from St. Louis, Missouri takes the field, they are always "set" to win.

Guess you missed the NLCS this year? ;-)

Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:52 pm

iplayastrat wrote:

Love the way you think!! Go FISH!!! Nice win over the Jets Sunday...:)

Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:22 pm

Well at least they got one touchdown.

Go Pats!

Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:13 am

Read in tonight's Evening Standard that there could be an NFL franchise (I believe that is your term for a club) based at the London Olympic Stadium.

What do you American's think about that?

Personally I just can't see the point. It's seen as so gimmicky here and despite the sell out crowd at Wembley the other day, nobody here cares about American Football. There was such little press coverage, nobody knows a damn thing about the sport, it will just never catch on big. Just like proper Football will never do in the States.

Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:03 am

KHoots wrote:
iplayastrat wrote:

Love the way you think!! Go FISH!!! Nice win over the Jets Sunday...:)

:twisted:

Good Time Charlie wrote:Read in tonight's Evening Standard that there could be an NFL franchise (I believe that is your term for a club) based at the London Olympic Stadium.

What do you American's think about that?

:smt026 :smt026 :smt026

(Yes, that's our name for a "club." :lol: Seriously, colleges have "club sports" which are not the same as the standard Varsity sports, but are intercollegiate. I started a Rugby Club at 'bama for the gals, but after a while, they got all upset about breaking their fingernails. Bummer. But we had a great flag football intramural program, and Tutwiler, under my guidance, made the championships with The Legal Eagles in '77! {After that, they voted me out of "office," because they didn't want to do team meetings and stuff. But hey, we won!})

Good Time Charlie wrote:Personally I just can't see the point. It's seen as so gimmicky here and despite the sell out crowd at Wembley the other day, nobody here cares about American Football.

They WILL!!! It's . . . so great! It's like a religion here! Elvis loved it, played it! Why do you think he had those uniforms made up? Because . . . it's SO GREAT! I bet you never even played a game of touch! (The "brain damage" problem is easily solved with new helmet techniques; a Georgia company is making something called "The Cap" - which goes over helmets, and just about eliminates the problem with a simple solution.) Gimmicky? It's a thinking-person's game; you have a playbook to memorize, meetings, "films" (well, video now) to watch and analyze, and you stop every play to huddle and get signals from the sidelines, and the coaches up in the box, via radio transmission, and plays are often called at the line, and each back is numbered, but generally differently from game to game, and there are "live colors" that can be called to change the play right then, or not . . . it's very mathematical! (Ever seen diagramed plays? I used to do that when I was bored in class, diagram imaginary plays for the Jets in my notebooks.) And it's fun!

Good Time Charlie wrote:There was such little press coverage, nobody knows a damn thing about the sport, it will just never catch on big. Just like proper Football will never do in the States.

Yeah, well, we did pretty good for ourselves!

U.S. Women's "Football" Gold Medal Team, 2012 London, England!

rjm (We Rock! ;) )
P.S. -- I have this burning desire to post the entire documentary "A Man Named Lombardi," but I will exercise self-control, and not do so. You can Google it.

Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:05 am

American Football will never catch on in the UK. I don't know a single person that understands it or is interested in it.
It seems too showbiz for me, The same goes for baseball.

Our American friends will just have to get with the program and make football(soccer) your national sport.
It will happen and you won't regret :smt023

Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:02 am

AFC East Fans on FECC?!?
Alright MIAMI!!!

I don't think we need the NFL to expand to other countries.
When they expanded to 32 teams it weakened the league.
There's just not enough talented quarterbacks to go around.

Maybe the next President can give one of the 32 teams away
to London. I nominate the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Speaking of football I believe there's a big SEC Game on this
Saturday Night. I can't think of their name right now, but they
wear crimson jerseys. Darn, I still can't think of their name. Do
any of you know who I'm talking about? The team that pounds
the others into the ground. Championship after championship.
Oh, why can't I think of the name of that great university..? Can
someone help me out?

Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:38 am

iplayastrat wrote:AFC East Fans on FECC?!?

YES!!!

iplayastrat wrote:Alright MIAMI!!!

Never!!!

"Once you're Jet, you're a Jet all the way, from your first (NOT cigarette) to you last dying day!"

{arms folded}

rjm
P.S. -- Americans LIKE soccer, very much. Kids play it every day, everywhere! We have "soccermoms"! But, we don't just "like" football, we LOVE football! It is . . . inextricable. It is the smell of fall, the fresh grass, the noise of the equipment, 4 people in a practice passing formation, just passing, and catching, and handing it off, the kicker going through his paces, the nerves and excitement . . . the weirdo cheers, the race out of dressing rooms to screaming crowds, the Lombardi Trophy Ceremony, the controlled violence, the JOY! Ah, you'll probably never know. I hope you do! :smt006 :D

iplayastrat wrote:I don't think we need the NFL to expand to other countries.
When they expanded to 32 teams it weakened the league.
There's just not enough talented quarterbacks to go around.

Maybe the next President can give one of the 32 teams away
to London. I nominate the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Speaking of football I believe there's a big SEC Game on this
Saturday Night. I can't think of their name right now, but they
wear crimson jerseys. Darn, I still can't think of their name. Do
any of you know who I'm talking about? The team that pounds
the others into the ground. Championship after championship.
Oh, why can't I think of the name of that great university..? Can
someone help me out?

Oh, wild guess! They were once coached by the man in this picture, standing with his arm around . . . ME!!!

bear.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:20 pm

daylon wrote:American Football will never catch on in the UK. I don't know a single person that understands it or is interested in it.
Our American friends will just have to get with the program and make football(soccer) your national sport.
It will happen and you won't regret

That will never happen. There has been plenty of time for that to happen, but it hasn't. The sport is popular here, with millions playing it, but "national sport"? Nuh-uh. Not even close.

Most of us can't get excited over 0-0 ties.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:50 am

rjm wrote:Oh, wild guess! They were once coached by the man in this picture, standing with his arm around . . . ME!!!

bear.jpg

That's stinking cool. I don't remember you saying you met him.
What year was that?

I dreamed of playing for him and Don Shula. For some reason
the Dolphins picked Marino over me.

Again not to hijack this NFL thread, but there's a really important
game on tonight...

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!

Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:45 pm

iplayastrat wrote:
rjm wrote:Oh, wild guess! They were once coached by the man in this picture, standing with his arm around . . . ME!!!

bear.jpg

That's stinking cool. I don't remember you saying you met him.
What year was that?

I dreamed of playing for him and Don Shula. For some reason
the Dolphins picked Marino over me.

Again not to hijack this NFL thread, but there's a really important
game on tonight...

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!

Thanks! It was SO thriling! 1977. It was for a campus charity. I was so nervous, and he said "been seein' you around." I would watch practice from the tennis stadium with binoculars, and I wrote sports for the CW. Scared me, though! He saw me watching practice! I don't think he liked it. Maybe he saw me at Bryant Hall - did some interviews there.

Thanks for asking. It was seriously cool!

Now back to the pros. :)

rjm

Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:52 pm

KHoots wrote:
daylon wrote:American Football will never catch on in the UK. I don't know a single person that understands it or is interested in it.
It will happen and you won't regret

That will never happen. There has been plenty of time for that to happen, but it hasn't. The sport is popular here, with millions playing it, but "national sport"? Nuh-uh. Not even close.

Most of us can't get excited over 0-0 ties.

I'd be bored to death watching a 0-0 draw, but what makes it riveting for a European would be if your team is playing. A large part of the excitement in football is the history of the clubs or nations, off-the pitch rivalry between fans. It goes beyond just what happens on the field of play on a Saturday afternoon.

Supporting a football team in England, is nothing like supporting an American Football team in the States. In Europe and South America especially, football allegiances have become so strong, so embedded into the culture and fabric of the working and now the middle classes that it divides continents, nations, cities, towns and even familys. In some cases, there is a strong religious sentiment - one only has to research into the Old Firm rivalry in Glasgow to understand that it is a lot more than just supporting a football team.

This is why it is virtually impossible for America to ever grasp Football like we do, beause you can't change your own history, culture and traditions. Well, certainly not over night. I also think it is very hard to explain about Football allegiances and rivalries because there is no parallel to any major sports in the States.

For example, research some of the following rivalries and you will understand that these cause strong divides amongst populations of relatively otherwise sane individuals.

Boca Juniors v River Plate (Buenos Aires, Argentina)
Palmeiras v Corinthians (Sao Paulo, Brazil)
Arsenal v Tottenham Hotspur (London, England)
Liverpool v Manchester United (North-West, England)
Olympiakos v Panathinaikos (Athens, Greece)
Milan v Inter (Milan, Italy)
Roma v Lazio (Rome, Italy)
Ajax v Feyenoord (Netherlands)
Celtic v Rangers (Glasgow, Scotland)
Partizan Belgrade v Red Star Belgrade (Belgrade, Serbia)
Real Madrid v Barcelona (Spain)
Fenerbahche v Galatasaray (Istanbul, Turkey)