Off Topic Messages

I seriously need help trying to discover a song's name...

Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:46 am

For some reason I suddenly heard it playing in my head and I can't figure out the song's name and the artist.

I think it's a 90's track. It's a female who sings it and the song is a slow one. I remember lots of reverb and it's usually played with other 80's/90's track on radio.
Before someone says "how the hell we're supposed to figure it out?", here:

http://www.melodycatcher.com/

If anyone cares to play these notes and think about it, these are the starting notes of the chorus, IIRC. I tried searching using that site, but it gave me songs like the Batman theme as a result. :lol:
Thanks! :D

Re: I seriously need help trying to discover a song's name..

Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:58 am

phpBB [video]

Britney Spears, "What U See (Is What U Get)" Oops!... I Did It Again (Jive 41704, March 2000)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oops!..._I_Did_It_Again#Track_listing

Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:04 am

Nop, no way. :lol:

Thanks for the help nevertheless, Doc! I think the song I have in mind is older (and hopefully better!). :wink: It's slower. I don't remember its lyrics so I can't say for sure if it's a romantic song or a sad one... I just remember that catchy melody.
It's very annoying when something's playing in your head and you can't figure out what it is...

Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:07 am

Maybe it's a hot one by Celine Dion.

Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:20 am

billyblues wrote:For some reason I suddenly heard it playing in my head and I can't figure out the song's name and the artist.

Could you tell us what genre that mystery song is ?

Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:30 am

Pop? Seriously, I just remember that melody. It's annoying me! :lol:

It's a very slow song and is mainly driven by keyboard, bass and (electronic?) drums, IIRC. I think it's from the 90's, though it could be from the 80's - it used to play a lot on radio coupled with slow/romantic songs from both decades. I must have heard it somewhere and now its melody (especially the chorus) is playing over and over... The notes I posted are from the very beginning of the chorus and reflect the singer's words. She sings the words like that, but faster. As I said, I can't remember anything from the lyrics - so I can't say for sure if it's supposed to be romantic or sad. Probably has a few "heart's", "you's" and "love's" thrown in somewhere.

I just find it terribly annoying when it's impossible to identify a song.

Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:39 am

is it this one?
phpBB [video]

Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:40 am

or this one? I'm sure it HAS to be this one..
phpBB [video]

Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:42 am

joshferrell wrote:or this one? I'm sure it HAS to be this one..
phpBB [video]

Yes ! It's called "Anna (Go With Him)" By Arthur Alexander. :mrgreen:

phpBB [video]

Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:47 am

The song you're referring to is Music Box by Mariah Carey.

phpBB [video]

Released August 31,1993

Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:47 pm

At first I thought you were to be correct (seeing as you were the only one to deliver a serious reply - thank you), but no, that wasn't it. The one I mention has (electronic) drums playing but yes, the tempo is similar. The chorus is unmistakable, though - once that thing starts, it gets stuck in your head. It gets repeated over and over at the end of the song.

I thank you nevertheless, especially for it seems that you were the only one trying to actually help me! :lol: I'm still not sure if the Britney Spears thing was serious or not.
Edit: I just found a Celine Dion (as per Doc's suggestion... :lol: ) which is very, very similar. Still, it isn't it. Oh well, I guess that one day it'll stop playing in my head.
Last edited by billyblues on Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:27 am

Billyblues, is that Hank Marvin in your avatar?

Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:37 am

Yes it is, Jove! One of my greatest inspirations as a musician. I love his work (both solo and with the great Shadows)! Now that's a man who can really play the guitar and make it sing. He puts so much feeling and passion into every single note he plays!

Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:13 am

Can you put the notes in text, so one can just input them into one of these digi-gadgets? Maybe that'll help. I keep having to look back and forth . . .

Anyway, I played with it, and played "Silent Night" perfectly, and hit search, and it came up empty! So I don't know about that one! "Si-i-lent Night. Ho-oh-ly Night. All Is Calm. All Is Bright." I play that one all the time (it's my "by ear" one! LOL!) Played the notes through for a bit, and the search button returned no results. I dunno.

Then I looked for the notes elsewhere, and put 'em in. It didn't return any results, but perhaps there's a digi-gadget out there that'll really help.

They have faux-synthsizer apps . . . they could record it. Oh, yeah! If you can hum a little bit of it, or play a little bit of it on guitar and record it on your computer, save as "MP3"?? I can record anything on my computer: I've got a trial of Mixcraft, and I've written a new song (which NO ONE WILL HEAR! You will have to pull it from my COLD DEAD HANDS! But, anyway, I did write a little ditty, with the help of mixcraft. That should help!)

I have to shell out the $75 to buy it, though. Major drag. (But I can make demos for a real singer I know. I need something recorded.)

Another idea: was there an official video? Can you remember the "action" in the video? That helped me to remember an '80s song! I could "see" in my mind what was happening, and it was The Cars. "Drive." I remembered the video: the girl against the wall, images . . . and I remembered it!

rjm

Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:43 am

It worked. Found ringtones for Silent Night. I've had trouble posting the urls.

(The forum won't take the urls!)

http://www.melodycatcher.com/search.php?s=3537353235373534&data=000000000

I found a gadget that records, if it works: http://www.oscillicious.com/sodasynth-for-chrome/

rjm (Gosh, Billy, you don't look like yourself! :smt005 )

Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:08 am

Huh? I don't look like myself? :lol: I don't think I got it lol

Yeah, I just posted "MelodyCatcher" as a reference, so one could input the notes I showed and listen to it. As for the actual search feature, it has problems working (as I said, I got the Batman theme as a result!).

I never saw any video for it, just heard it on the radio a couple of times... I mean, it was a long time ago when I last heard it. I just remembered that it must have played on the supermarket sound system when I was there sometime this week - they're usually playing this kind of music. And, you know, it IS the kind of music that usually plays on the radio, in stations that plays music from the late 70's to the early 90's. I don't have the cable to connect the guitar to the PC right now, that's the problem... If I had it here, I would have done it from the start (I mean, it would be way easier to find out the song this way). But let's try something different:
Imagine that the repeated notes is the singer elongating words. The tempo is similar to this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dI9IIKUgoI
The drums have the same kind of effect (reverb?). Note that I say that the tempo is similar. It keeps the slow beat all way through, including chorus (where once again things are similar). I actually took Doc's suggestion that it could be a Celine Dion track... :lol: But it isn't. To be honest, I had the feeling that it was a Whitney Houston song - but I've checked the "main songs" and it is not her... A similar singer, though.
Last edited by billyblues on Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:56 am, edited 3 times in total.

Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:10 am

This is a long shot. Did she ever eat Chop Suey??

Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:39 am

Roxette

Don't make me go to my keyboard.

Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:54 pm

Jennifer Rush -Power of Love ?

Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:30 pm

billyblues wrote:Yes it is, Jove! One of my greatest inspirations as a musician. I love his work (both solo and with the great Shadows)! Now that's a man who can really play the guitar and make it sing. He puts so much feeling and passion into every single note he plays!

I thought Mike Smith of DC5 and Marvin look a bit alike.