Off Topic Messages

HOLY 48th ANNIVERSARY, BATMAN !!

Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:50 am

660311_Adam West_02.JPG

On the heels of the 48th anniversary of the January 12, 1966 debut of "Batman," one of the most beloved, iconic, live action U.S. television programs ever produced, came a VERY exciting announcement this past January 15th:

660311_Batman_Life Magazine.JPG

The popular 60s-era Batman television show starring Adam West and Burt Ward as the Dynamic Duo is finally getting a home entertainment release.

The news came via an unusual, but appropriate, source. Longtime comic book fan and TV personality Conan O’Brien.

140115_Conan and Batmobile_Twitter.JPG

The date of release is as yet unknown, but with Batman more popular than ever, the Batman ’66 comic book in stores and Batman celebrating his 75th year as a pop culture icon this year, the timing couldn’t be better.

660311_Adam West_01.JPG

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman_(TV_series)
http://teamcoco.com/content/conans-twitpics/photo-76023
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2014/01/15/batman-tv-show-complete-series-dvd/4496197/
http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2014/01/15/breaking-news-adam-wests-batman-gets-a-home-video-release

Wow. I guess there's nothing left to do but ...

To ... the ... BATCAVE!!

660311_Burt Ward_Adam West_03.JPG

Thanks to "elvis4life" for noting this update on another topic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: HOLY 48th ANNIVERSARY, BATMAN !!

Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:26 am

Great news!

Thanks for posting this Doc.

I have all the episodes on DVD in my old Batman lunch box that my Mom bought for me when I started first grade.

I also have the original TV Guide that came out with Adam West on the Cover in there too. :)

It's too full to put in the thermos.

I was always a big fan of this series and it will be great to have all the episodes uncut and in better picture quality.

I recorded them off TV with my DVD-R and sometimes they chopped some of the scenes out to make room for more commercials.

Mitch

Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:50 pm

You're welcome Doc for the shout out & great topic that you have started on this classic show. I just wish we didn't had to wait 48 LONG years for this official release, however I guess the saying "good things comes to those who wait" was worth it in this case. Enjoy your day my friend & lets hope that this'll be out SOONER [like in the next month or two] then we expected!

Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:15 pm

Great news !

What a fabulous series that was. I still have some episodes locked away in their Betamax plastic boxes, somewhere.

By the way, we should start the Julie Newmar Appreciation Society !

Catwoman004.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:26 pm

Mister Moon wrote:By the way, we should start the Julie Newmar Appreciation Society

Count me in!

Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:29 am

Mister Moon wrote:Great news !

What a fabulous series that was. I still have some episodes locked away in their Betamax plastic boxes, somewhere.

By the way, we should start the Julie Newmar Appreciation Society !

There isn't one already?

Julie Newmar RULES.

660311_Julie Newmar_Catwoman.JPG

Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:02 am

What's the release date?
Will there be a blu-ray release as well?

I bought the entire series from a Canadian. He said the episodes were sourced from beta masters and I believe him because the quality is excellent. There is also a ton of extras which, I must admit, I never watched. The first season is clinically insane and quite brilliant. After that, the program begins to get tiresome. Producer William Dozier was also the narrator who spoke "Same Bat-time! Same Bat-channel!" Creatively, the program was his vision, and he exercised a rigid control over it. I've heard that his colleagues tried to get him to bend a little on the self-ridicule and the self-references, but he wouldn't listen to anyone. The actors wanted to play it a little more serious -- I don't think they meant "serious" in the modern sense of constant misery and suffering, no -- and pleaded with him for a change in approach. In the end audiences got tired of the program, ratings fell drastically, and it was canceled in the third season. Everybody blamed Dozier.

With a few small but important changes Batman could have been a terrific movie series in the 1970s. Adam West would have stuck with it. Audiences would have met the films, with the personal growth in tone, halfway and it would have been successful. Another wasted opportunity. So far as I'm concerned, the cast of the program are still the best actors to take on those rolls.

Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:04 pm

Julie backstage.

Dig the Catwoman make up, hairdo and ears !

Newmar backstage.jpg

Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:43 am

Mitch wrote:Great news!

Thanks for posting this Doc.

I have all the episodes on DVD in my old Batman lunch box that my Mom bought for me when I started first grade.

I also have the original TV Guide that came out with Adam West on the Cover in there too. :)

It's too full to put in the thermos.

I was always a big fan of this series and it will be great to have all the episodes uncut and in better picture quality.

I recorded them off TV with my DVD-R and sometimes they chopped some of the scenes out to make room for more commercials.

Mitch

Thanks, Mitch. All of your memories echo mine. It's going to be fun to see how this set is presented.