Off Topic Messages

CBS Beatles tonight at 8PM EST

Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:32 pm

"The Beatles: The Night That Changed America - A GRAMMY® Salute!": http://www.cbs.com/shows/the-night-that ... d-america/

Re: CBS Beatles tonight at 8PM EST

Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:34 am

Cant wait!

JEFF d
EP fan

Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:59 am

What would it take to get the Beatles back together?

Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:32 am

BillySmith3577 wrote:What would it take to get the Beatles back together?

A time machine.

Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:15 pm

BillySmith3577 wrote:What would it take to get the Beatles back together?

Is that a joke ? Is there a punch line after this ? Is it a multiple choice question ?

Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:29 pm

elvis4life wrote:"The Beatles: The Night That Changed America - A GRAMMY® Salute!": http://www.cbs.com/shows/the-night-that-changed-america/

We tuned in to watch the first five minutes, but the program was so surprisingly good we enjoyed all two and a half hours.

To see how various contemporary performers handled their Beatles song was always at least interesting, with some fantastic work done by Stevie Wonder with "We Can Work It Out" (of course), Pharrell Williams and Brad Paisley being quite fresh with "Here Comes The Sun," Alicia Keys and John Legend on facing pianos singing "Let It Be," a kick-ass rendition of "Hey Bulldog" from Dave Grohl and Jeff Lynne, and a kid I knew almost nothing about, Ed Sheeran, standing alone with an acoustic doing a lovely version of "In My Life." And did anyone notice the stellar house band included Kenny Aronoff, Don Was and Peter Frampton? Wow.

The side pieces, David Letterman touring the Ed Sullivan studio with Paul and Ringo, interviewing each, and hearing from other people who attended the show (!!) or worked on the crew was fascinating.

Ringo and Paul closed it out, and it was a kick to see Starr banging the drums and singing "Boys." McCartney, as usual, showed the magic is still there at the age of 71, with that wonderful backing band he's had since April 1, 2002 (I was at that show, too). Among others, choosing to do "Birthday," was very amusing. And how cool was it to see Ringo drumming right behind Paul as they finished the evening with "Hey Jude"?

For those who did or could not see the show, this page has some photos from the January 27 taping:

The Beatles, A GRAMMY Salute 50 Years Later << CBS Boston
http://boston.cbslocal.com/photo-galleries/2014/02/09/the-beatles-a-grammy-salute-50-years-later/

It is highly doubtful any other rock 'n' roll band will ever receive such a U.S. network tribute, and rightfully so.

Thanks, John, Paul, George and Ringo for the music, and so much more.

Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:44 pm

Instead of watching this I watched the original full-length Ed Sullivan 2/9/64 program as it aired with all of the commercials, put it on exactly at 8pm. It was amazing!!!

I DVR'd the CBS program which will come in handy so I can fast forward through the crappy bands...I don't think you need me to tell you who that is.

Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:58 pm

I didn't see any "crappy bands," just some less stellar performances. What made last night fun was enjoying the 50th broadcast in the same manner so many experienced the magic of 1964 way back when. We've had the Ed Sullivan DVD set for years, and chose to enjoy the shared experience of the new program, rather than roll out the archive. Some of the interviews revealed new facts about February 9, 1964, too.

Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:23 am

It didn't air in the UK but I managed to see it tonight and was pleasantly surprised at how entertaining it was. The only performance that I didn't really enjoy was the Eurythmics, because Annie Lennox's voice unfortunately doesn't cut it now.

It was a fitting and fun tribute. Ringo seems to have the energy of a man half his age.

Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:51 pm

It didn't air in Argentina but I got it through the magic of bit torrent :D

Will watch with Beatle friends next weekend.

A splendid time is guaranteed for all.

Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:02 am

It was wonderful. Had tears in my eyes. The most possible re-union. Thanks for posting, I probably would have missed it.

Ringo_Paul.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:42 am

Letterman interviews were great. It was interesting to see Paul and Ringo back at Studio 50. I thought it was also a nice touch tracking down the girls in the audience that were caught on tape 50 years ago. And of course seeing Paul and Ringo performing together one could only wish that John and George were still around. I think it's safe to say they would've gotten back together for this if they wouldn't have reunited prior, but that's something we'll never know. I guess that would be the only time Paul and Ringo performed Sgt. Pepper live together. That's a pretty big deal!