Off Topic Messages

Aylmer Vance: Ghost-Seer

Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:18 am

Who?

Well, that's what I thought, too.

While finding myself with an hour or so to spare in the centre of London this week, I thought I'd grab something to read and wait it out in a cafe. I popped into the nearest bookshop and picked up the cheapest book that looked like I might while away an hour with.

Aylmer Vance: Ghost-Seer is a collection of 8 stories by Alice & Claude Askew (no idea who they are either) about two men interested in the supernatural that go ghost-hunting. The stories were written aroun 1910 from what I can gather and need to be read in sequence but are basically a series of supernatural stories in the style of Sherlock Holmes stories. Vance has some of the aloofness of Holmes, while his companion, Dexter, is the narrator for the most part.

They are remarkably entertaining (or the three I've read so far are), and a surprisingly easy read without the stodginess that mars the enjoyment of some of the other ghost stories of the period.

My question is: has anyone else read them, or even heard of them?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aylmer-Vance-Ghost-Seer-Wordsworth-Supernatural/dp/1840225394/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350695772&sr=8-1-fkmr0