Off Topic Messages

Donna Mills - Bait (1973)

Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:34 pm

It's a 1973 gem of a telemovie that starred the sexy actress, Donna Mills. Anyone here seen this before ? Been trying to find a number of other telemovies such as The Hunted Lady and Intimate Encounters but they're not available -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDtOfZVg0xo

Re: Donna Mills - Bait (1973)

Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:43 am

Thanks for this, Rob.
I've bookmarked this movie, and will make sure to watch it when I get the chance.

I love Donna Mills in the seventies.

Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:05 am

Your Welcome, my Friend. And I Love Donna Mills in the 80's. Unfortunately she might be gay. You read about that one ?

Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:18 am

Robt wrote:It's a 1973 gem of a telemovie that starred the sexy actress, Donna Mills. Anyone here seen this before ? Been trying to find a number of other telemovies such as The Hunted Lady and Intimate Encounters but they're not available -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDtOfZVg0xo

She was a hottie back in the day.

Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:03 am

Hey Robt,

I like that you are downloading all these old t.v. movies.

Could you download Contract on Cherry Street.

Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:19 am

:shock:

I wouldn't go that far, my friend. In my country, I have limited monthly quota of 200 gigbytes. Some of these videos I have saved for future downloading or just for watching :smt002

Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:30 pm

I haven't seen The Bait in some time, but remember it as being quite effective, even daring for the time, but a notch below the likes of Police Woman. Donna Mills was good in the lead, however -- the role was surely challenging for her. And the story, although transparent, and lacking finesse, played on some of the same social mores that made Dirty Harry and Death Wish so popular.

brian wrote:Hey Robt,

I like that you are downloading all these old t.v. movies.

Could you download Contract on Cherry Street.

Contract on Cherry Street is available on DVD, Brian.

Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:29 pm

Thanks again greystoke. I remember that Sinatra 1977 film but wasn't really impressed. Certainly not nearly as good as 1968's The Detective. Donna also starred in a similar movie called "The Hunted Lady" (also 1977). You seen that one ?

Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:53 pm

I haven't seen The Hunted Lady, Robt. But I consider Contract on Cherry Street to be a very good thriller. Of its kind, its one of the decade's best, in my opinion -- second only to The Marcus-Nelson Murders, perhaps. Sinatra was excellent here, and looked terrific. The location shooting in New York City was a huge asset, however. And although it's bleak; uncompromising, in fact, the main drawback now, is that it's a two-part feature that feels a bit disjointed removed from its roots.

The main cast is very good, too. Especially Martin Balsam and Johnny Barnes. As is William Graham's direction -- he also directed Change of Habit, incidentally. The tone is different to that of The Detective, but that film, and its central character, probably played a part in Sinatra's approach to this project. Especially in playing a character whose personal life isn't underwritten or blanked out of the proceedings. Had this been made for cinema, it's likely that some of the film's quiter moments would have been removed to allow for better pacing. But this was a project that achieved most of what was intended, especially in finding good ratings.