Off Topic Messages

Re: The Killer has still got it!!!!!

Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:49 pm

He looks like a singer in desperate need of retirement. I don't say that to be unkind, to knock the man or the legend; I like his recordings as much as anyone - but really and truly he looks and sounds old, without any fire in his belly, slurring his words and not even playing the keyboard that well - and the fact that Jerry Lee Lewis is playing a keyboard and not a piano shows just how far the mighty can fall. Surely that fact alone shows that it's all too much effort to fight for the self-respect of having an actual piano at the end of his fingers? Lewis has abused himself nearly all his life and, like his stable-mate Johnny Cash, it shows. Cash managed to turn the ravages of old age into an art form, but on thie evidence of those clips, Lewis isn't able to do the same.

Retirement is never an easy word for any singer, and it's always going to come at different times. Sinatra slugged it out until he was 79. There were some rough nights, but the good outweighed the bad. Tony Bennett is still going strong in his mid-80s with little sign of slowing down. The same can be said for Sedaka, who I saw this week and is a couple of years younger than Lewis. Nina Simone's last recorded concert is on TV this evening (Sky Arts) and it's a sad affair, with her voice almost completely gone in just her mid-60s.

One just wishes that our favourite singers retired with their dignity intact instead of attempting that "one more time".

Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:55 pm

Honestly I thought he was very good for his age.

Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:10 pm

I think that's my point, though. While we should make some allowances for age, there is still the issue that Sinatra, Sedaka, Bennett and others are/were still who they used to be. With Lewis (going by this footage) or Simone (going by the concert on tonight on TV), it would be a case of going to see the man who used to be jerry lee lewis.

Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:51 am

ian,thanks for posting this! Jerry Lee can still play the hell out of the piano, can't he? And he seemed to be in good form in Memphis. I'll have to check out the video when it appears...

Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:48 am

Rtn 2 Sndr wrote:ian,thanks for posting this! Jerry Lee can still play the hell out of the piano, can't he? And he seemed to be in good form in Memphis. I'll have to check out the video when it appears...

You're welcome and yes his hands are still lightning fast aren't they!!!!! 8) Are you talking about his Beale Street concert?

Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:01 am

poormadpeter wrote:He looks like a singer in desperate need of retirement. I don't say that to be unkind, to knock the man or the legend; I like his recordings as much as anyone - but really and truly he looks and sounds old, without any fire in his belly, slurring his words and not even playing the keyboard that well - and the fact that Jerry Lee Lewis is playing a keyboard and not a piano shows just how far the mighty can fall. Surely that fact alone shows that it's all too much effort to fight for the self-respect of having an actual piano at the end of his fingers? Lewis has abused himself nearly all his life and, like his stable-mate Johnny Cash, it shows. Cash managed to turn the ravages of old age into an art form, but on thie evidence of those clips, Lewis isn't able to do the same.

Retirement is never an easy word for any singer, and it's always going to come at different times. Sinatra slugged it out until he was 79. There were some rough nights, but the good outweighed the bad. Tony Bennett is still going strong in his mid-80s with little sign of slowing down. The same can be said for Sedaka, who I saw this week and is a couple of years younger than Lewis. Nina Simone's last recorded concert is on TV this evening (Sky Arts) and it's a sad affair, with her voice almost completely gone in just her mid-60s.

One just wishes that our favourite singers retired with their dignity intact instead of attempting that "one more time".

8) It doesn't seem that the audiences agree with you, or the people commenting on YouTube!!!!! 8) :smt006 8)