Off Topic Messages

The Killer has still got it!!!!!

Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:45 am

He had his first concert in 9 months as an honoree at the 27th Music Pioneer Awards this past August 23 and was awesome according to everybody that saw him, and watching the short clips that I am posting , you can see for yourself!!!!! He just had to recently cancel shows because of a leg injury, which is the reason he's been off for most of the past year I beleive-

http://www.jerryleelewis.org/blog/

Here is an eyewitness account of his appearance on the awards show, and also at the end, you will see a message from his wife!!-

http://jerryleelewis.org/cgi-bin/weblog ... php?p=3729

Here are clips from the show, which will be released in it's entirety this month!-

http://youtu.be/uCH0Mj8riHk

http://youtu.be/FYWivJlljhU

http://youtu.be/4Wfi5ZsBKYE

On a sad note-keyboardist/bassist, B. B. Cunningham, was shot dead on Sunday. Cunningham, age 70-

http://www.examiner.com/article/jerry-l ... -shot-dead
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ian on Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: The Killer is back and stronger than ever!!!!!

Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:10 pm

RIP BB Cunningham :cry:

Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:37 pm

Stronger than ever? :roll:

Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:41 pm

Jerry Lee may be considered a legend but he doesn't give a sh*t about the fans. And, he's high most of the time anyway.
Case in point: On two separate occasions i attempted to see his show. First time, the venue had scheduled two shows for the evening. I had tickets for the second show that night. Jerry Lee didn't show up for the first show and people were mad as hell. In order to cool the flaring tempers, they told the audience that they could get a refund or stay in their seat for the second show because Jerry Lee would definitely be there. Most everyone decided to stay. When I arrived for the second show, i was told i had to stand up against the wall or get a refund. WTF??? I took the refund. I later heard from someone who WAS at the second show, that Jerry Lee sang two songs, left the stage, then came back for two more songs before leaving the stage again. This went on for 45 minutes then Jerry Lee just camd out onto the stage said goodnight, then left for good.
The second attempt was five years later. Jerry Lee actually showed up, sang for 20 minutes and left the stage. The audience sat and waited, thinking he was taking a break and returning, when the announcer stood at the mic and thanked everyone for being there. Even Jerry Lee's band members were stunned that he had left the stage so suddenly. I even approached the stage to talk to James Burton and i asked him why the show was so short. He just shook his head, looked quite disgusted and simply said "no idea". I get the impression that even his band members never really knew what to expect from him.

Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:20 pm

I've never seen Jerry Lee, but I'm having doubts about the "stronger than ever" bit.

Re: The Killer has still got it!!!!!

Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:18 pm

I saw him twice in 2011 including the Las Vegas show pictured here where he is standing at the piano, and he was great. He really cared about the sound at the Chicago date and made them fix it until he was happy. It made the whole experience so much better. I'm sure he has done his share of bad shows due to his problems over the years, but when he is on he is still wonderful. Not the fireball he was forty or fifty years ago, but a great entertainer.

Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:00 pm

Mike Eder wrote:I saw him twice in 2011 including the Las Vegas show pictured here where he is standing at the piano, and he was great. He really cared about the sound at the Chicago date and made them fix it until he was happy. It made the whole experience so much better. I'm sure he has done his share of bad shows due to his problems over the years, but when he is on he is still wonderful. Not the fireball he was forty or fifty years ago, but a great entertainer.

I was going to make a post regarding that Chicago show this past December, because of the great and positive reviews Jerry received, and I think that I will get that together soon!!!!! 8)

Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:32 pm

elvisbot wrote:Jerry Lee may be considered a legend but he doesn't give a sh*t about the fans. And, he's high most of the time anyway.
Case in point: On two separate occasions i attempted to see his show. First time, the venue had scheduled two shows for the evening. I had tickets for the second show that night. Jerry Lee didn't show up for the first show and people were mad as hell. In order to cool the flaring tempers, they told the audience that they could get a refund or stay in their seat for the second show because Jerry Lee would definitely be there. Most everyone decided to stay. When I arrived for the second show, i was told i had to stand up against the wall or get a refund. WTF??? I took the refund. I later heard from someone who WAS at the second show, that Jerry Lee sang two songs, left the stage, then came back for two more songs before leaving the stage again. This went on for 45 minutes then Jerry Lee just camd out onto the stage said goodnight, then left for good.
The second attempt was five years later. Jerry Lee actually showed up, sang for 20 minutes and left the stage. The audience sat and waited, thinking he was taking a break and returning, when the announcer stood at the mic and thanked everyone for being there. Even Jerry Lee's band members were stunned that he had left the stage so suddenly. I even approached the stage to talk to James Burton and i asked him why the show was so short. He just shook his head, looked quite disgusted and simply said "no idea". I get the impression that even his band members never really knew what to expect from him.

Sounds exactly yhe same as the time I saw him in NYC in 1995.

Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:38 pm

I saw Jerry Lee in '64 & he was great !

I remember his piano playing sounded better than on any record !

Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:46 am

ColinB wrote:I saw Jerry Lee in '64 & he was great !

Boy, I wasn't even born then :P

Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:51 am

ColinB wrote:I saw Jerry Lee in '64 & he was great !

You got him in his prime!

Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:40 am

The one time I saw Jerry Lee, 1984, he was on an oldies show with the likes of the Shirelles, the Coasters (or at least acts using those names), Bobby Vee, and Chuck Berry. Jerry Lee closed the show...with lots of people leaving because he wouldn't play his hits...and he was downright surly about it. "Nobody tells the Killer what to play!" My friends left before the show was over. I stayed till the end, but it was not a good night for him. Chuck Berry, on the other hand, ASKED us what we wanted to hear. He had that crowd in the palm of his hands! Jerry Lee might be the Killer, but Chuck is the King!

Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:47 am

I saw him twice. In '79, at an outdoor tent in Georgia, a ways out west of Atlanta. I have a picture that I'll scan in, and lighten up for you.

And then in the early 1990s, at Knott's Berry Farm. Place was packed. No pics, though.

Anyway, I was pleased both times. Got lucky, I guess!

Today, he looks at least 10 years older than he is. He doesn't appear well at all, but he's hanging in there. This is a guy we thought would be gone thirty years ago, so more power to him.

rjm

Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:50 am

I saw him on a rock'n'roll night around 1989 with Chuck, Bo, Everlys etc...and he was a bit disappointing. He didn't really seem to want to be there while Chuck and Bo were great.

Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:58 am

He does sound better in those clips than last time I heard him. Thanks for the links

Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:12 am

rickeap wrote:He does sound better in those clips than last time I heard him. Thanks for the links

You're welcome!!! 8) And look at the piano playing, I also loved that playful hand off the piano, that was really cool!! 8)

Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:19 am

Funny I was at the show Chuck Berry passed out at and obviously he was bad. He's usually not that dire, but I haven't heard anything by him since the 1986 Hail Hail show that I would want to hear again.

Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:08 pm

Mike Eder wrote:Funny I was at the show Chuck Berry passed out at and obviously he was bad. He's usually not that dire, but I haven't heard anything by him since the 1986 Hail Hail show that I would want to hear again.

Wow, that's quite awhile ago!!! Like Kris Kristofferson says in my "I am what I am" VHS tape, Jerry is like a songbird, and no matter how many times it looks like he's done, finished or at deaths door, he keep's coming back, and it's even more amazing at the age he is now!!!!! 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ian on Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:21 pm

Speaking of Kris, he was born in '36, just a year younger, or less, and he looks great! And he's doing great, because I saw him perform not long ago. But Jerry carries a heavier burden.

Here's Kris!

rjm

Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:39 pm

rjm wrote:I saw him twice. In '79, at an outdoor tent in Georgia, a ways out west of Atlanta. I have a picture that I'll scan in, and lighten up for you.

And then in the early 1990s, at Knott's Berry Farm. Place was packed. No pics, though.

Anyway, I was pleased both times. Got lucky, I guess!

Today, he looks at least 10 years older than he is. He doesn't appear well at all, but he's hanging in there. This is a guy we thought would be gone thirty years ago, so more power to him.

rjm

Like Kris Kristofferson say's in the I am what I am VHS (have it, and it's great!) he was amazed at how Jerry Lee was surviving all kinds of ordeals that would have killed off pretty much anybody else, and this is back in the early to mid eighties along with the 70's!!!!! And here he is today, at his age, recovering from his injured leg problem and whatever else he's dealing with health wise at any given time, and he just keeps getting back up on stage and playing the heck out of the piano, (I can't believe how fast his hands are), and putting on one helluva show!!!!! Like Kris said, he's like a songbird.I have another VHS of his 1981(?) concert at Knottsberry Farm and it's awesome!!!!! 8)

Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:55 pm

rjm wrote:Speaking of Kris, he was born in '36, just a year younger, or less, and he looks great! And he's doing great, because I saw him perform not long ago. But Jerry carries a heavier burden.

Here's Kris!

rjm

I have seen Kris a few times in the last 16 years,he has always put on a good show

Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:57 pm

I love this video from Las Vegas last year, how the crowd absolutely loves it, and jerry clearly feeds off it, and the super cool arm pull at the end!!!!!-

http://youtu.be/SeDgVsN1Plg

And this great performance of Whole lotta shakin' goin' On, where he does a little dance at the end, and he kicks his piano bench away, and sits on the keys!!!!!-

http://youtu.be/RpM0pNPJ2wo

I'm sure Elvis would be proud of how he is doing!! 8)

Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:26 pm

Thanks for all the great posts on Jerry, Ian. There aren't too many entertainers I like as much as Jerry Lee. He's the only solo artist I like as much as Elvis.

Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:27 pm

keninlincs wrote:
rjm wrote:Speaking of Kris, he was born in '36, just a year younger, or less, and he looks great! And he's doing great, because I saw him perform not long ago. But Jerry carries a heavier burden.

Here's Kris!

rjm

I have seen Kris a few times in the last 16 years,he has always put on a good show

Thank's rjm, that's a great pic!!! I've included a picture of them, where Jerry Lee is being honored, and that's great that you got to see Kris Kristofferson put on some good shows ken! 8)
Last edited by ian on Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:33 pm

Mike Eder wrote:Thanks for all the great posts on Jerry, Ian. There aren't too many entertainers I like as much as Jerry Lee. He's the only solo artist I like as much as Elvis.

You're welcome and I completely agree with you, he's got that bit of Elvis in him doesn't he?!!!! 8)