Off Topic Messages

Where do you keep the Big Boy?

Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:19 pm

I'm thinking of finding a not-too-expensive dictionary stand for it. THE BOOK. THE BIG BOOK. It doesn't go on anything but a low shelf, and then it's hard to retrieve it without damage . . . I have a trolley for my laptop, and used that a bit, but it won't work with it on a low shelf.

Anyone sort of solved this? A member mentioned the condition of his spine, and I have a real back problem, so I'd like to hear some solutions that people have come up with!

I'm dead serious.

rjm

Re: Where do you keep the Big Boy?

Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:39 pm

It's under my pillow, every night.

Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:48 pm

i just sit mine on top of A Boy From Tupelo set

Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:14 pm

I use it as a coaster for all my MRS releases.

Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:27 pm

smt154

Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:43 pm

There are shelves that you can buy and adjust to any height that you need them. It does not have to be on the bottom shelf. Mine is on the bottom shelf, along with all of my other bigger sets. However, I can get to it with no trouble whatsoever.

Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:45 pm

In an old cabinet I have in which all my LPs and music-related stuff are kept, along with other mementos (like the box in which BR sent it). It's not the nicest piece of furniture around (it'll need some painting in the near future), but does its job well. As I don't plan to needlessly revisit the book - because I want to keep it in the best condition as possible - it'll be safe there... I'm keeping it standing with the cover to front, not sideways - that way it looks like a "center piece" to the collection.

And yes, the spine gets damaged because of the book's weight as you read it... Even if you protect it, you'll notice that it gets looser and the part with glue (which holds the pages) gets separate from the hard cover spine. I was terrified when I first noticed it!

Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:13 am

My only real gripe with the book is that it is too large and heavy and thus quite cumbersome to comfortably read. It should have been split into two volumes within the same box. This would have maintained the large format presentation and increased the likely longevity of the product with much use.

Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:24 am

Matthew wrote:My only real gripe with the book is that it is too large and heavy and thus quite cumbersome to comfortably read. It should have been split into two volumes within the same box. This would have maintained the large format presentation and increased the likely longevity of the product with much use.

It's very likely that option was financially untenable.

I kind of like the weight and dimensions of A Boy From Tupelo. It harkens back to the days when ardent fans listened to their music on LPs. One had to make a physical commitment to the product, and devote time and energy to playing the disc, or not at all. The same holds true for this new publication.

Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:28 am

I keep mine in the remains of old salt mine that I own.
It has a pallet all its own.
I use a forklift to retrieve it.

It sits right next to my 16mm color movies of all the Hayride performances.

Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:35 am

I have a backpack that it fits in nicely that I can carry around 24/7.

Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:36 am

Francesc wrote:smt154

Stop! :evil:

Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:50 am

promiseland wrote:

smt122

Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:04 am

Francesc wrote:
promiseland wrote:

smt122

Have a nice trip Francesc post some pics when you return!

Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:15 am

I will ! :smt006

Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:02 am

It's designed to fit next to the YMWTBB box-set and both sit very nicely on one's vinyl LP shelf, under the record player which is under the CD player, which is next to the drinks shelf.

Where else would you keep it?

Cheers
Piers

Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:09 am

rjm wrote:I'm thinking of finding a not-too-expensive dictionary stand for it. THE BOOK. THE BIG BOOK. It doesn't go on anything but a low shelf, and then it's hard to retrieve it without damage . . . I have a trolley for my laptop, and used that a bit, but it won't work with it on a low shelf.

Anyone sort of solved this? A member mentioned the condition of his spine, and I have a real back problem, so I'd like to hear some solutions that people have come up with!

I'm dead serious.

rjm

I think you're right about a dictionary stand but I'd recommend a tabletop stand... something mobile and practical to take out and put away. Maybe something like this...

Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:36 am

PiersEIN wrote:It's designed to fit next to the YMWTBB box-set

Well, almost. They didn't get the measurements quite right though, since Big Beat is larger in all but width.

Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:56 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:One had to make a physical commitment to the product, and devote time and energy to playing the disc, or not at all. The same holds true for this new publication.

No doubt you are referring to the trend for downloads...which ardent fans tend not to do because more Elvis releases aimed at them are not available that way.

Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:06 am

EPA4368 wrote:
rjm wrote:I'm thinking of finding a not-too-expensive dictionary stand for it. THE BOOK. THE BIG BOOK. It doesn't go on anything but a low shelf, and then it's hard to retrieve it without damage . . . I have a trolley for my laptop, and used that a bit, but it won't work with it on a low shelf.

I'm dead serious.

rjm

I think you're right about a dictionary stand but I'd recommend a tabletop stand... something mobile and practical to take out and put away. Maybe something like this...

That looks good, IF it's sturdy! And if it can go on top of another table, or something that gives it height. You just can't haul it around.

Definitely a physical commitment! Just don't want to be "committed" to a hospital, for spinal surgery! Whoa, that's heavy. I will try to treat it tenderly, and keep in mind about the pages "loosening." At the same time, I really want to explore it. And right now, that is difficult. I'm doing it, but once I'm done for a bit, it has to be slid onto the trolley, then slid onto something else, and then it ended up on a low shelf because it's so heavy, and I don't want to break anything (or have it fly off in an Earthquake!)

There's a place around here that does wood. Rockler. Just wood. They make custom stuff, and DIY stuff, but I'd like them to put a little thing together. They sell wood, and everything related to wood. I'll see what they can do.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=1508&rrt=1

Something along those lines, have to see about the cost.

Now, for the real McCoy: Levenger is WAY expensive! Forget that. But if I could, this would be the one! $379. Not good . . . but oh, it's perfect!

rjm
P.S. -- When I die, that one goes in the box with me! (I'll will the recordings, but the book? You CAN take it with you! I want it on my chest, for all to see, where it can no longer crush my sternum with any harm done.)
Last edited by rjm on Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:51 am, edited 5 times in total.

Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:23 am

Books are made to be read folks, it's no Da Vinci or Rembrandt. When you die it will end up in the trash.

Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:02 am

Simon1 wrote:Books are made to be read folks, it's no Da Vinci or Rembrandt. When you die it will end up in the trash.

Ummm... not mine, it's going with me.

Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:10 am

I keep mine on top of my vintage Playboy magazines in case my ex comes over for dinner.

Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:44 am

I opened mine at the half way point and hacksawed it in half now it's only half as heavy when I read it!

Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:39 am

What about him?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.