Off Topic Messages

Tennis - Murray vs Djokovic Shanghai final.

Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:03 am

Hey Tennis fans,

It's Murray vs Djokovic, a rematch of the this year's U.S. Open final at Shanghai masters final. Murray's won the last two matches versus Nole. The last time they played the match lasted 5 hours. One thing's for sure, this will be best of 3 all tiebreak sets. Who do you think wins ? I am going with Murray continuing his hot streak. There's no doubt he's been increasingly getting better since Lendl became his coach (albeit part time one).

Re: Tennis - Murray vs Djokovic Shanghai final.

Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:14 am

Being a 3 setter means fitness isn't so much of a factor so it's all about taking the chances and winning points.I'll go 2- 1 Murray as his confidence is at an all time high after the Us open and beating Federer today.Close call though.

norrie

Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:19 am

norrie wrote:Being a 3 setter means fitness isn't so much of a factor so it's all about taking the chances and winning points.I'll go 2- 1 Murray as his confidence is at an all time high after the Us open and beating Federer today.Close call though.

norrie

Methinks It's about time Australia, French and Wimbledon followed suit and made the final set a tiebreak set, wouldn't you agree ?

Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:31 am

Robt wrote:
norrie wrote:Being a 3 setter means fitness isn't so much of a factor so it's all about taking the chances and winning points.I'll go 2- 1 Murray as his confidence is at an all time high after the Us open and beating Federer today.Close call though.

norrie

Methinks It's about time Australia, French and Wimbledon followed suit and made the final set a tiebreak set, wouldn't you agree ?

No.

Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:39 am

Me neither.

norrie

Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:36 am

poormadpeter wrote:
Robt wrote:

norrie

No.

Howcome Pete ? Another thing, Best of 5 set matches in the Slams should be done away with until the final. It's about blanketing the rules across the ATP and WTA tour and Grand Slams.

Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:52 am

Robt wrote:Methinks It's about time Australia, French and Wimbledon followed suit and made the final set a tiebreak set, wouldn't you agree ?

No.

Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:09 am

Robt wrote:Methinks It's about time Australia, French and Wimbledon followed suit and made the final set a tiebreak set, wouldn't you agree ?

Yes !!!

Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:46 am

midnightx wrote:

No.

Seriously my friend. Think about this - These days it's too much play from the baseline. The absurdity of equal prizemoney, when women's tennis, lets face it, doesn't deserve it. I can't agree with female players earning the same money where their matches are over 60-80 minutes when the men could be on court 4-5 hours. Got to go Murray vs Djokovic has just started here.
Last edited by Robt on Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:40 pm

OUTRAGEOUS! 3 hours 20 minutes to play thee sets !! Remarkable baseline duel eventually won by Nole after Murray served for the match at 5-4 in the second set and 5 match points. You got to hand it to the serb for being resilent and calmness. Also coming back after losing the last two times they've played. Final score Novak Djokovic defeated Andy Murray, 5-7,7-6,6-3.

Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:41 am

It was an entertaining match which could have gone either way - Murray had 5 match points after all.

What a weird first set though. Not sure I've ever seen a set with so many breaks.

Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:40 am

Robt wrote:
midnightx wrote:

No.

Seriously my friend. Think about this - These days it's too much play from the baseline. The absurdity of equal prizemoney, when women's tennis, last face it, doesn't deserve it. I can't agree with female players earning the same money where their matches are over 60-80 minutes when the men could be on court 4-5 hours. Got to go Murray vs Djokovic has just started here.

You are talking about two different things here. The 5th set tiebreaker and equal prize money are not really intertwined. I personally like the tradition of the 5th set going the distance in the grand slams. The players cannot rely on the tiebreaker to essentially derail the natural flow of the match at the mental stamina required to win. With regards to equal prize money; I agree. The men play the best of five sets which creates a significant additional degree of difficulty mentally and physically. If the women played the best of five sets; then I wouldn’t have a problem with equal prize money.

Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:55 am

To build the point. Tennis today is predominately war of attrition from the baseline. Matches as a result are taking longer to complete. Why, the Shanghai final lasted well over three hours, unheard of 10 years ago, on a fast indoor surface. That's why I reckon it should be best of 3 tiebreak sets for the men in the Slams until the final. Another thing is, that there a different rules for different tournaments which cannot be healthy. It's time the rules was blanketed and applied for at all the tournaments. .

Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:55 am

There are really only a handful of guys that can play with the lengthy precision and execution that Djokovic and Murray play with. There is a reason only a handful of guys have largely dominated the sport for the past 10 years. Few can play that way. So, the fact that the two best players in the world right now are having lengthy battles should not dictate how the entire sport governs its match set-up. Additionally, there is nothing stopping these guys from incorporating more net-play into their games; which ultimately shortens points.

Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:07 am

Thanks. But you must agree the game has changed from 10-15 years ago. It's because there is no serve volley play, Players Raquets and Strings, Here's a good article, Should the Men Play Best-of-3 at the Grand Slams worth reading up -

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1319 ... -davis-cup

Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:05 pm

I lost most interest in tennis when it took nothing but aces and speed to win a game.

The problem is that players are now significantly taller than 30 years ago, increase the height of the net by 1ft or more, let them require skill and dexterity to win rather than the fastest servers