Off Topic Messages

'Microsoft Support Team' phone call scam.,

Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:32 pm

Just got a phone call from some one pretending to be from 'Microsoft' saying i have a security risk to my PC and he led me to a website called 'show my pc' which allows you to share your PC with another person.
Just wanted to warn others if you ever get a call like this thinking its from Microsoft, its not but from cybercriminals, mainly operating out of India.

I didn't fool for it and hung up on him.

Re: 'Microsoft Support Team' phone call scam.,

Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:39 pm

It it amazing how easy people can be fooled. Lets hope your post will stop some of them from being...

Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:42 pm

Bodie wrote:Just got a phone call from some one pretending to be from 'Microsoft' saying i have a security risk to my PC and he led me to a website called 'show my pc' which allows you to share your PC with another person.
Just wanted to warn others if you ever get a call like this thinking its from Microsoft, its not but from cybercriminals, mainly operating out of India.

Exactly the same phone call I had 2 months ago......... I hung up as well.

Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:47 pm

They try it regularly

Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:47 pm

Bodie wrote:Just got a phone call from some one pretending to be from 'Microsoft' saying i have a security risk to my PC and he led me to a website called 'show my pc' which allows you to share your PC with another person.

When I hung up, they immediately rang back.

When I didn't pick up the phone, they left a message on my machine:

"Colin, you're an arsehole !"

Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:08 pm

ColinB wrote:

They rang me back as well but i haven't got an answering machine.

People who do things like that are just scum.

Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:32 pm

Bodie wrote:
ColinB wrote:

Did he sound like he had an Indian accent ? I thought the authorities had caught up with them - Big Time.. That was in the news recently. If it happens again, tell them that you had parted with the machine and do not have any plans to get another.

Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:45 pm

Robt wrote:
Bodie wrote:
ColinB wrote:

Did he sound like he had an Indian accent ? I thought the authorities had caught up with them - Big Time.. That was in the news recently. If it happens again, tell them that you had parted with the machine and do not have any plans to get another.

Yes, he had an Indian accent. Funny thing is i was not convinced and told him that i needed some proof if he was genuinely from Microsoft and he got another person from the 'support team' to confirm it was genuine, i also heard a number of people in the background talking to 'customers' or victims, on the phonelines.
I only realised it was a con when he got me to go on the website 'spare your PC'. Im assuming this website is one that is set up for these cybercriminals.

Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:28 am

I always find that a hearty "f*** off" sends the bleeders on their way.

Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:30 am

Andrew you haven't had a thing to say re. my "Gimme Shelter" topic :cry: . I thought you loved the Rolling Stones!

Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:37 am

londonflash wrote:I always find that a hearty "f*** off" sends the bleeders on their way.

I don't get it. Less than a week ago, there was news that microsoft had caught up with the hoax (see my own topic here) which was spread over six countries and now Bodie's saying that he just recieved a call ?!!!

Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:43 am

Robt wrote:Andrew you haven't had a thing to say re. my "Gimme Shelter" topic :cry: . I thought you loved the Rolling Stones!

I shall go and investigate!

Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:45 am

I doubt there's just one set of people behind this. Before the Microsoft scam I was getting regular phone calls telling me that I needed to 'renew the insurance on my SKY television box'. Before that it was something else. Fraud like this is always going to be around, and you can't stop it. You can only move it to a different location.

Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:46 am

londonflash wrote:
Robt wrote:Andrew you haven't had a thing to say re. my "Gimme Shelter" topic :cry: . I thought you loved the Rolling Stones!

I shall go and investigate!

Do that and let me know if you reckon it's authentic or if somebody has been extending it with their home equipment.

Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:47 am

The Pirate wrote:I doubt there's just one set of people behind this. Before the Microsoft scam I was getting regular phone calls telling me that I needed to 'renew the insurance on my SKY television box'. Before that it was something else. Fraud like this is always going to be around, and you can't stop it. You can only move it to a different location.

You tried changing your phone number or getting private one ?

Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:14 pm

Robt wrote:You tried changing your phone number or getting private one ?

Hell, no. I'm not putting myself out and incurring extra expense to stop a few phone calls. If you assume that anyone who rings you that you don't know, is either trying to rip you off or sell you something you don't need, then you'll not go far wrong.

Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:37 pm

I did call up BT to try and stop calls that try and con you and also callers that want to sell you things but you can't block any overseas callers.

I don't normally answer my house phone just cause most of the callers are sales people or people trying to rip you off.

Its bad enough when they knock at your door.

Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:18 pm

Bodie wrote:I did call up BT to try and stop calls that try and con you and also callers that want to sell you things but you can't block any overseas callers.

I don't normally answer my house phone just cause most of the callers are sales people or people trying to rip you off.

Its bad enough when they knock at your door.

Did you try registering with TPS . I did and I still received a few but not as much, I then contacted them again and they have stopped now. W******seal were particularly bad offenders trying to sell windows etc... stopped now

Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:22 pm

Whenever I receive a crank call, I ask the caller "for security purposes, could you tell me which take of 'Wearin' that loved on look' is the master?" That always gets 'em!

Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:13 pm

daylon wrote:
Did you try registering with TPS . I did and I still received a few but not as much, I then contacted them again and they have stopped now. W******seal were particularly bad offenders trying to sell windows etc... stopped now

That only works - if at all - with UK callers. Most of the scam calls originate from abroad.

Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:28 pm

A few months ago an asian fellow called and said something about my computer being infected or something, and that I had to go on to it, and I of course hung up, but it was a weird call for sure!!!!!

Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:53 am

ian wrote:A few months ago an asian fellow called and said something about my computer being infected or something, and that I had to go on to it, and I of course hung up, but it was a weird call for sure!!!!!

Yeah there's a lot of that going on. Tell them your PC is Mac and to go f-uck themselves :mrgreen:

Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:48 pm

Obvious scam and funny, my brother usually gives them hell when they call. Leads them on and makes THEM hang up. Usually ends him with him saying something like "so which button do I press on the microwave again?", or "I'm getting hard now, keep going", or "sorry, can you say that again, I was taking a sh*t?"

Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:21 pm

ECC83 wrote:Obvious scam and funny, my brother usually gives them hell when they call. Leads them on and makes THEM hang up. Usually ends him with him saying something like "so which button do I press on the microwave again?", or "I'm getting hard now, keep going", or "sorry, can you say that again, I was taking a sh*t?"

Thats funny. :lol:

Most calls i get on my home number are people trying to selling something etc. I should get a telephone recording device and wind them up when they call then upload the conversation onto youtube :lol:

Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:05 am

ECC83 wrote:Obvious scam and funny, my brother usually gives them hell when they call. Leads them on and makes THEM hang up. Usually ends him with him saying something like "so which button do I press on the microwave again?", or "I'm getting hard now, keep going", or "sorry, can you say that again, I was taking a sh*t?"

That's a classic. Thanks for posting this. :smt006 Out of curiosity, did it sound like some prick with an indian accent and kept on saying OK after each sentence ?