Off Topic Messages

Christmas Morning - Titus Turner ("Tell Me Why" songwriter)

Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:22 am

A really dynamite slice of R&B from 1952, that arguably rivals any of Elvis' greatest sides in the genre of bluesy Christmas material.

As a kind of low-down Santa Claus Is Back In Town / Merry Christmas Baby hybrid, we can hear some of the shared vocal traits and mannerisms that any self respecting fan of Presley will instantly recognize.

And whilst it is unknown if Elvis was familiar with this track [I'd wager he probably was], he did go on to cut the "lost" 50's track - Turner's Tell Me Why in January 1957.
When belatedly issued in late 1965 [the flip-side being Blue River], it sold very well indeed - becoming a moderate Billboard hit in the process.
And one can but hope that the success of the single gained some nice royalties for Turner to rest upon.

Sadly, Titus Turner passed away in 1984, aged just 51 years old.

Enjoy his dirtiest of Christmas mornings...

Titus Turner performing at Apollo Theater.jpg

phpBB [video]

Christmas Morning - Titus Turner (Okeh 6929)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Christmas Morning - Titus Turner ("Tell Me Why" songwrit

Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:28 am

Thanks for that !

I enjoyed it !

Wouldn't mind betting that Leiber & Stoller took inspiration from this when they penned Santa Claus is Back in Town !

Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:18 am

I didn't like his yelling, uh... singing at all, elvisalisellers, but thank you very much for the interesting info.

Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:40 pm

ColinB wrote:Thanks for that !
I enjoyed it !

Glad you dig it!

ColinB wrote:Wouldn't mind betting that Leiber & Stoller took inspiration from this when they penned Santa Claus is Back in Town !

That was my initial thought when I first heard it on a R&B LP comp 20 or so years ago.

Blue River wrote:I didn't like his yelling, uh... singing at all, elvisalisellers, but thank you very much for the interesting info.

Turner's vocal does lack the finesse Elvis could bring to the table [even in the 50's], but is more than made up for in his impassioned performance, IMO.

phpBB [video]

Tell Me Why (Titus Turner) - Elvis Presley