Off Topic Messages

Never Take Sweets (Candy) From a Stranger (1960)

Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:40 am

Hey look !!!

Anyone seen or know of this film ? .This controversial movie I saw in 1981 but to my knowledge has not been shown since on Australian television. Back then those classic Hammer House [/i productions ]and the later [i]Hammer House of Horrors TV series would get screened late on a Saturday night. Sadly it's in the disappointing 16:9 ratio so I'm going to have to alter it on my computer (bit time consuming).

phpBB [video]

Last edited by Robt on Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Never take Sweets (Candy) From A Stranger (1960)

Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:07 pm

Never Take Sweets from a Stranger remains one of Hammer's lesser-known pictures, which is unfortunate, because it was groundbreaking in many ways, but also contains some of the legendary studio's most frightening scenes. There's no sensationalism here from a studio largely renowned for, and steeped in, horror cinema -- instead, this drama frequently deals with the social and legal ramifications surrounding a paedophile who exists outside the reach of the law. Like The Detective, as discussed on another thread, this was challenging, forward-thinking cinema that pushed boundaries and broke cinematic taboos. Unfortunately, this particular film wasn't a success at the box office and remains quite obscure.

Re: Never take Sweets (Candy) From A Stranger (1960)

Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:16 am

greystoke wrote:Never Take Sweets from a Stranger remains one of Hammer's lesser-known pictures, which is unfortunate, because it was groundbreaking in many ways, but also contains some of the legendary studio's most frightening scenes. There's no sensationalism here from a studio largely renowned for, and steeped in, horror cinema -- instead, this drama frequently deals with the social and legal ramifications surrounding a paedophile who exists outside the reach of the law. Like The Detective, as discussed on another thread, this was challenging, forward-thinking cinema that pushed boundaries and broke cinematic taboos. Unfortunately, this particular film wasn't a success at the box office and remains quite obscure.

Yeah I suppose was groundbreaking. Watched it last night for the first time in 31 years. Bit creepy where the old man tries to offer candies/sweets to the two girls he enticies and they run away and try to escape on a boat.