Off Topic Messages

Love Me Do

Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:51 am

5th Oct 1962, The Beatles debut single 'Love Me Do' was released in the UK. It spent 26 week's on the chart peaking at No.17. Beatles producer George Martin has said when 'Love Me Do' was released, it was the day the world changed.

Read the full story: http://www.thisdayinmusic.com/pages/love_me_do

Re: Love Me Do

Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:33 am

I wouldn't go that far. :D

Re: Love Me Do

Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:08 am

5th October 1962 was also the date of the premiere of Dr. No. Maybe that was what Martin was referring to. :wink:

Re: Love Me Do

Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:54 am

Spiritinthesky wrote:5th Oct 1962, The Beatles debut single 'Love Me Do' was released in the UK. It spent 26 week's on the chart peaking at No.17. Beatles producer George Martin has said when 'Love Me Do' was released, it was the day the world changed.

Read the full story: http://www.thisdayinmusic.com/pages/love_me_do

Thanks for posting this topic!

Sir George Martin is absolutely correct.

And it is as important an event as the release of an obscure indie single in the southern U.S. on Monday, July 19, 1954.



621005_Parlophone R4949_Beatles.JPG
The Beatles, "Love Me Do" (Parlophone R4949, Friday. October 5, 1962)
Note: Ringo Starr is the drummer on this track, along with John, Paul and George on their respective instruments.
When it appeared on the Please Please Me LP in 1963, it was replaced with a take that featured session drummer Andy White, and Ringo on tambourine.




---

Here's a neat other page on the official single debut of the Beatles, the greatest rock 'n' roll group of all time:

The "Love Me Do" single on Parlophone -- The Beatles begin an incredible recording career
http://www.thebeatlesrarity.com/2011/10/22/the-love-me-do-single-on-parlophone/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Love Me Do

Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:16 am

I was just reading about the new:
The Beatles Stereo Albums 180g 16 LP Limited Edition Box Set

And this might come as a surprise but Help and Rubber Soul
was sourced from the George Martin 1987 CD resolution mixes.

Re: Love Me Do

Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:34 pm

iplayastrat wrote:I was just reading about the new:
The Beatles Stereo Albums 180g 16 LP Limited Edition Box Set

And this might come as a surprise but Help and Rubber Soul
was sourced from the George Martin 1987 CD resolution mixes.

It ties in with the Stereo CD set, so maybe when the Mono box is released next year they'll include 'bonus albums' using the original 60s stereo mixes. That's what they did with the Mono CD box. It will also make up for the fact that there were no dedicated mono mixes of the later albums, which would mean that the Mono Vinyl box would otherwise have fewer records in it.

If that makes sense.

Re: Love Me Do

Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:07 am

Spiritinthesky wrote:5th Oct 1962, The Beatles debut single 'Love Me Do' was released in the UK. It spent 26 week's on the chart peaking at No.17. Beatles producer George Martin has said when 'Love Me Do' was released, it was the day the world changed.

Read the full story: http://www.thisdayinmusic.com/pages/love_me_do


Any and all musical freedoms were busted open by Elvis, so nothing after Elvis was going to change the world, because he had already been there, done that!!!!! 8)

Re: Love Me Do

Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:53 am

ian wrote:
Spiritinthesky wrote:5th Oct 1962, The Beatles debut single 'Love Me Do' was released in the UK. It spent 26 week's on the chart peaking at No.17. Beatles producer George Martin has said when 'Love Me Do' was released, it was the day the world changed.

Read the full story: http://www.thisdayinmusic.com/pages/love_me_do


Any and all musical freedoms were busted open by Elvis, so nothing after Elvis was going to change the world, because he had already been there, done that!!!!! 8)


That's the thing with the Beatles, man. They changed the world as well.

Re: Love Me Do

Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:27 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ian wrote:
Spiritinthesky wrote:5th Oct 1962, The Beatles debut single 'Love Me Do' was released in the UK. It spent 26 week's on the chart peaking at No.17. Beatles producer George Martin has said when 'Love Me Do' was released, it was the day the world changed.

Read the full story: http://www.thisdayinmusic.com/pages/love_me_do


Any and all musical freedoms were busted open by Elvis, so nothing after Elvis was going to change the world, because he had already been there, done that!!!!! 8)


That's the thing with the Beatles, man. They changed the world as well.


Elvis and the Beatles will never be equaled!!!!! 8)

Re: Love Me Do

Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:49 am

You forget BTR.

Re: Love Me Do

Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:14 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ian wrote:
Spiritinthesky wrote:5th Oct 1962, The Beatles debut single 'Love Me Do' was released in the UK. It spent 26 week's on the chart peaking at No.17. Beatles producer George Martin has said when 'Love Me Do' was released, it was the day the world changed.

Read the full story: http://www.thisdayinmusic.com/pages/love_me_do


Any and all musical freedoms were busted open by Elvis, so nothing after Elvis was going to change the world, because he had already been there, done that!!!!! 8)


That's the thing with the Beatles, man. They changed the world as well.



:smt003 :smt003 :smt003

Re: Love Me Do

Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:28 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ian wrote:
Spiritinthesky wrote:5th Oct 1962, The Beatles debut single 'Love Me Do' was released in the UK. It spent 26 week's on the chart peaking at No.17. Beatles producer George Martin has said when 'Love Me Do' was released, it was the day the world changed.

Read the full story: http://www.thisdayinmusic.com/pages/love_me_do


Any and all musical freedoms were busted open by Elvis, so nothing after Elvis was going to change the world, because he had already been there, done that!!!!! 8)


That's the thing with the Beatles, man. They changed the world as well.


As ian posted, Elvis kicked down all the doors & changed the world forever !

The Beatles sauntered through the openings he'd created & changed the [musical] direction a tad.

Granted, they made themselves wildly popular in so doing.........

Re: Love Me Do

Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:59 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Sir George Martin is absolutely correct.


It seems Sir George Martin is only correct when it suits your argument, but according to some he wasn't always correct in what he said.