Off Topic Messages

LIVE Tonight! Presidential Debates, Number One 2012

Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:33 pm

YouTube is covering it, so everyone should get it.

9 PM Eastern, 6 PM Pacific, Which is, I think, 3 AM in the U.K. -- figure it out beyond that.

Get out your nachos, Doritios, Fritos, chips, cookies {"biscuits" in "English" ;) } . . . etc. Enjoy! Should be fun! Really.

http://www.youtube.com/politics?feature=inp-hp-ype-26

rjm

Re: LIVE Tonight! Presidential Debates, Number One 2012

Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:38 pm

What do our friends across the pond think about this? I won't be watching it live but have an inkling Romney is the more likely candidate to put his foot in it.

Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:45 pm

I'll be in bed at 3am but I'll catch up with it tomorrow.

Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:17 pm

Delboy wrote:What do our friends across the pond think about this? I won't be watching it live but have an inkling Romney is the more likely candidate to put his foot in it.

We'll see. They're both trying to play themselves down. The POTUS says he hasn't debated in a LONG time, and so he'll be rusty, might mess up. ;)

(The Prez had a twinkle in his eye when he was doing this, though!)

Romney compared Obama's oratory to Abraham Lincoln (nobody livin' ever actually HEARD Lincoln), and so one should cut him some slack on that account. :lol:

I have my popcorn ready to pop! :D (The "best" part of the debates are the silly "focus groups" afterwards. I always LMAO at 'em!)

rjm

Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:28 pm

delboy wrote:
What do our friends across the pond think about this?

Uh - that would be you - :wink:

RKS

Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:23 am

I say GO ROMNEY!

And don't be afraid to call Obama out on his lies....respectfully of course.

I'll be watching LIVE from here in Oz.

Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:28 am

And don't be afraid to call Obama out on his lies....respectfully of course.

That could take up a majority of the hour and a half of the debate time!

RKS

Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:28 am

I'll be watching with popcorn popped -- it's going to be just like you say, rjm, alot of fun.

The more I think about this, the less chance I think Romney has to come out of this the victor. Think about the sheer size of the list of things he doesn't want to talk about:

Romneycare
Bain Capital
pretty much anything he did as Governor of Massachusetts
His taxes
His tax plan
Specifics of his budget - or really any of his other policies
His 47% comments
His running mate
Medicare & Social Security
"Let Detroit Go Bankrupt"
His misleading welfare ads
George W. Bush
and on and on and on...

The nightmare scenario for Romney is not being attacked by President Obama, but being called out by the moderator as a BS artist if he tries any of his 'you didn't build that' or the redistributionist nonsense.

Romney's only hope is not being put on the defensive, and that's a pretty impossible place to be for a candidate in a debate. Considering the unforced errors Romney has made even in situations that can be carefully scripted, I don't see how he comes out of this precariously unscripted environment without somehow doing even more damage to himself. He's just not "ready for primetime".

Obama has the easiest job in the world tonight, his only mistake can be overconfidence. If he keeps Romney on the defensive about his campaign and making him explain the details of policies he can't explain, he comes away the winnner.

Game on.

Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:26 am

So how did it go?

I didn't watch it live, but they talked about it on the news this morning, and it appears Mitt Romney did pretty good... unfortunately! I would have voted for Obama myself.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:13 am

Obama acted like a whipped pup. Romney rolled over the moderator, not letting him speak. And said he was gonna basically FIRE him, in cutting funding to PBS. "I like Big Bird, and I like you Jim, but . . ." And he let him get away with everything. I tweeted live everything as it was happening. I was saying FIGHT, FIGHT!! But he just . . . well, it's just the first round. It's maybe a rope-a-dope thing, I hope. I keep posting the end of that fight - the old Ali fight with Foreman, to demonstrate the possible strategy.

Last time he was "I'm going to KILL Bin Laden." And he killed Bin Laden. But this time, he didn't want to touch a fly. Romney was pretty savage. He is a good debater.

But you could SEE the POTUS holding back. You could see it. They timed it, and he actually clocked in more time, but you'd never guess.

That's how it went, apparently.

rjm
P.S. -- "FiredBigBird" has his own Twitter account, already. Really. @FiredBigBird

FiredBigBird.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:42 pm

I was kinda shocked at Obama's performance.He just didnt seem prepared.His body language was very subdued.He mainly just stared at the podium every time Romney spoke.On the other hand Romney seemed sharp as a tack.He never took his eyes off Obama.Im not a fanboy of either but Romney was the one who looked presidential last night.Going in I would have said Obama would come across more favorably of the two.That was the best I have ever seen Romney look.They both somewhat bullied the moderator.I thought he could have been a little more direct with them at times.Overall it was a very interesting evening.The next one will be very telling.Im sure Obama's people will be working overtime to work on Obama's performance.

Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:10 pm

Well, well...after all of my trying to guess what would happen last night, this was a...surprise to say the least.

I tried to pick what strategy Romney would take, and was admittedly completely wrong.

Apparently, he and advisers cooked up a strategy that involved his pretending to be a completely new candidate, who was not associated with and could not be held accountable for all of the things this guy named "Mitt Romney" has said and done for the last 8 months.

It was breathtaking, it took me aback, and it obviously had the same effect on the President.

Never before has a candidate essentially reversed his entire platform on a debate stage, and done so with a straight face. Romney drowned Obama in a mountain of bullsh.it, lies, and reversals of position so immense that the President was a bit confused about what to go after with the limited time the format offered. Was it an effective debate strategy? Yes. Was it the most blatant display of dishonesty and hypocrisy I've witnessed in American Presidential politics? Without a doubt.

Romney proved himself (as he has so many times in the past) to be a man of ZERO principle, of ZERO character -- he truly doesn't care what he does with the presidency, he just wants to possess it. But he also proved himself something I didn't give him credit for before - an able politician capable of delivering a skilled 'performance'.

Obama pretty much summed up the entire night when he said "He's been campaigning for 8 months...and all of a sudden his big idea is 'never mind'.

Obama, who spent most of Wednesday dealing with the Turkey-Syria border dispute, looked low on energy and a bit ticked off (he was trying very hard not to let his disdain for Romney show). It was a bit like Bush's first debate against Kerry in 2004 (though not quite as bad as that). It was much too cautious a debate performance, and the O campaign needs to get him ready for the second match-up in two weeks.

I do hope that the media will deal with the substance of what was said, and not just Romney exceeding abysmally low expectations -- Romney told enough lies to keep them busy until the next debate.

Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:17 pm

President Obama was clearly not up to his game. At times it was hard to watch how uncomfortable he was. Not a good night for the prez...

Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:51 pm

interesting because of Obama NOT attacking at all! Romney now clearly has a MUCH better chance :roll:

Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:13 pm

Not sure what other members on here think but IMO, Romney sounds like a man who could start World War 3.

If i was a US Citizen, i'd vote Obama.

Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:02 pm

YDKM wrote:Romney now clearly has a MUCH better chance :roll:

We'll see. It all depends on whether or not he can get voters to like him, the snap polling post debate shows that even though more people thought Romney "won" the debate, they found the President more empathetic and the favorable/unfavorable numbers for both candidates were relatively unchanged.

Winning debates doesn't always translate to movement in the polls - Winning all three debates in 2004 certainly didn't make John Kerry president.

My feeling is that Romney gets a 2-3% bump out of the debate, we'll see if it lasts long enough to matter.

This raises the stakes for the Biden/Ryan debate next week.

LIVE Tonight! Presidential Debates, Number One 2012

Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:13 pm

http://m.thestar.com/news/world/uselect ... -the-truth

Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:31 am

Obama had only spoken to adoring crowds and press gatherings infatuated by him. He was in his little fantasy land where his own politican spin was all he needed. Suddenly being challenged and faced with the reality of his failures and with cold hard facts was obviously something of a shock for him.

Some of the notes he scratched out on his writing pad were apparently:

"Come on Jim, give me a hand here..."

"He can't speak to me like that, I'm the president..."

"I don't like it here. I want to go home."

and

"I am SO screwed!"

Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:36 am

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2012/ ... has_fallen

Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:09 am

Thanks for posting that. The part the media plays in social engineering is indeed a worry.

Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:13 am

dannyboy1 wrote:Thanks for posting that. The part the media plays in social engineering is indeed a worry.

8) You're welcome, and you're absolutely right!! Let's go Mitt , I can't wait to see how he does tonight!!! 8) :smt006 8)

Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:15 am

My advice is to quit reading or listening to Rush Limbaugh. No matter what your political outlook is, his appalling, divisive BS is not to be taken seriously.

Incidentally, didn't we have a couple of other political threads on the go in off topic? What happened to them? And why do entire threads keep getting deleted on this board? It's getting seriously pathetic.

Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:23 am

TJ wrote:Incidentally, didn't we have a couple of other political threads on the go in off topic? What happened to them? And why do entire threads keep getting deleted on this board? It's getting seriously pathetic.

Which ones got deleted?

Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:30 am

Blue River wrote:
TJ wrote:Incidentally, didn't we have a couple of other political threads on the go in off topic? What happened to them? And why do entire threads keep getting deleted on this board? It's getting seriously pathetic.

Which ones got deleted?

I think there was one with a thread title about Obama's lead over Romney, and another which said something about Romney's TKO over Obama in the first debate. Neither seem to be here now. I don't understand why it keeps happening. Are we not all adult enough to cope with other people having different views to our own? If someone says something that is deemed highly offensive, maybe delete the post, but there's no need for entire threads to keep disappearing.

Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:53 am

TJ wrote:
Blue River wrote:

Which ones got deleted?

I think there was one with a thread title about Obama's lead over Romney, and another which said something about Romney's TKO over Obama in the first debate. Neither seem to be here now. I don't understand why it keeps happening. Are we not all adult enough to cope with other people having different views to our own? If someone says something that is deemed highly offensive, maybe delete the post, but there's no need for entire threads to keep disappearing.

smt179 Well, you know how it is, TJ.
Some whining liberal on here probably got their panties or bloomers in a wad and went running to the mods. Par for the course.

I'm watching & listening to the current debate right now as I type this and President (to be) Romney is
making little Barack look like a 4th grader. Obama continues to talk in circles as usual. What a worthless excuse of an American he is.