Off Topic Messages

Singer Andy Williams Dead at 84

Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:21 pm

BRANSON, Mo. -- Legendary crooner Andy Williams, has died, his publicist confirmed this morning. Williams had been battling bladder cancer.

Williams' publicist, Paul Shefrin, told KOLR10 News Williams passed away at his home in Branson at the age of 84.

Williams was perhaps known best for his song "Moon River". He had 18 gold, and three platinum albums in his 75-year career.

He was also was a television host in the 1960's and 70's. He brought his show to Branson in 1992, building the Moon River Theatre,

and was known nationally for his live Christmas shows, which were reminiscent of his Christmas shows on television in the 60's.

Last November, Williams told his theater audience he was diagnosed with bladder cancer.

He is survived by his wife and three children.

Paul Shefrin issued this statement:

Legendary singer Andy Williams passed away last night (Tuesday) at home in Branson, Missouri following a year long battle with bladder cancer, it was announced by his family. Williams, 84, who also had a residence in La Quinta, California, is survived by his wife Debbie and his three children, Robert, Noelle and Christian. In lieu of flowers, the family asks that donations be made to the Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network. For information go to http://www.bcan.org
Last edited by TCB-FAN on Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Singer Andy Williams Dead at 84

Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:36 pm

Sad news. From what I've read Andy was a truly nice guy, and he sure had a beautiful voice. His Christmas album is a favorite of mine around the holiday. RIP

Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:50 pm

Total drag. Just read about this. Only in the last few years have I actually warmed up to Andy Williams' music. Great voice. I was just listening to one of his Cadence 45s the other day and thinking I should look for some more. Another one gone from the landscape of the great American past. What current personality can take his place?

Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:52 pm

I love that Christmas album. It's the most wonderful time of the year.........

Rest in peace, Andy.

Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:54 pm

R.I.P. As it's approaching the festive season I might just get that album.

Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:22 pm

Sad news :(
R.I.P Andy
Thank you for the music

Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:27 pm

R.I.P. Andy Williams! He is easily in my top 5 of best singers ever.

My favourite Christmas song is this one:

phpBB [video]

Almost perfection!

Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:39 pm

Sad new,RIP Andy

Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:54 pm

I am also sad at this news.
As a kid, it was law that i sit with my parents and watch Andy Williams variety show on tv back in the 1960's (that is when Andy launched the careers of the Osmond Brothers).Several years ago, Andy did a tour of the US, and i brought my mother to see the show. She enjoyed it tremendously. He was a great showman and a great person. He had that relaxed smooth style that is so lacking in any of todays music.....He was a classic!

:smt006 Adios Andy and thank you for the great show you put on the night my mom and i saw you in concert and for giving me some lasting childhood memories with your tv show.

Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:00 pm

Rob wrote:I love that Christmas album. It's the most wonderful time of the year.........

Rest in peace, Andy.

Agreed, in both instances.

Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:54 pm

Well that's certainly very sad.

Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:14 am

I arranged an interview for a guy called Andy Williams yesterday and I joked with the client that he was " an all-singing, all-dancing" chap. He laughed, then said that Andy Williams the singer had passed away a few months ago. I said I thought he was still around. Spooky timing.

Love his version of I Think I Love You.

Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:57 am

I Think I love You is a great song.

This is indeed a shame, another one of the greats leaves us.

Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:17 am

One of best male vocalist ever.... Only few days ago when I was playing some of his songs, I had a feeling that he will pass away, soon ;-( a pity that I missed his last show in Royal Albert Hall.

R.I.P.

Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:34 am

This is sad and incredible. I was just playing his music yesterday, some 20 hours ago and now I hear he's died.

Here's a couple of gems. R.I.P Andy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1p_H704lQY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7CAiNVC ... re=related

Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:37 am

Renan wrote:R.I.P. Andy Williams! He is easily in my top 5 of best singers ever.

Me too. After Dino, he's the best crooner there ever was. This was expected for a few months now, but it doesn't make it any less sad. He has left countless hours of beautiful music behind so he will be remembered and enjoyed for years to come. R.I.P. Andy.

Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:28 am

Mister Mike wrote:
Renan wrote:R.I.P. Andy Williams! He is easily in my top 5 of best singers ever.

Me too. After Dino, he's the best crooner there ever was. This was expected for a few months now, but it doesn't make it any less sad. He has left countless hours of beautiful music behind so he will be remembered and enjoyed for years to come. R.I.P. Andy.

Agreed, one of the best crooners of all time.
I feel his voice is under valued ... he had a tremendous upper range with a very smooth
delivery.
I really wish I'd had the chance to see Andy in concert, just once.

Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:19 am

I liked his version of "Can't Get Used to Losing You" (although not as much as Bobby Darin's) and I did like that Christmas stuff a lot. Another institution gone. RIP

Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:09 am

Sad loss. I put up an obituary:
Andy Williams obituary

Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:15 am

There was another thread, but this seems like the one.

Really nice fellow, and a fine singer.

He lived a full, rich life, and cancer got him at 84. :(

RIP, Andy Williams.

rjm

Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:20 am

Andy figured out how to go on and grow old gracefully.

I'm grateful to him for all of the many hours of pleasure his recordings and shows have given me -- and so many others.

Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:51 am

Rest In Peace
Thank you for the music and for making every Christmas magic.

phpBB [video]

Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:54 am

It slipped my mind: his most magnificent moment. Every life should have a moment like this.

God bless him.

WilliamsRFKFuneral.jpg

phpBB [video]

rjm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:24 pm

Very sad news -- he was a supremely talented vocalist, whose range was among the best of any popular singer. He will be remembered very fondly.

Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:16 pm

I never get tired of watching this clip:

phpBB [video]

I even posted in facebook yesterday. Talent in three times dose! We don't have artists of such magnitude nowadays.