Off Topic Messages

Re: When will Adam West's "Batman" ever be out on DVD?

Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:06 am

elvis4life wrote:http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2014/01/15/batman-tv-show-complete-series-dvd/4496197/

'Batman' TV show to receive complete-series set in 2014

Brian Truitt, USA TODAY 5:17 p.m. EST January 15, 2014

Bat-fan Conan O'Brien broke the news on Twitter Wednesday.

Holy nostalgia, Caped Crusader! The original 1960s Batman show is finally getting a home-video release, and Conan O'Brien couldn't be happier.

USA TODAY confirmed the news that the late-night talk-show host tweeted to his 9.75 million followers Wednesday: https://twitter.com/ConanOBrien/status/ ... 4197318656 Warner Bros. Entertainment will be releasing the complete series this year in a box set. He also added a picture of himself and the classic Batmobile with the quip, "The seat smells like Adam West."

The original series, which ran 1966-68 on ABC and in later years in syndication, was many people's introduction to the superhero outside of comics, especially before the Tim Burton Batman movie was released in 1989. And compared to the "Dark Knight" era that began in the 1980s with comics icon Frank Miller and others, the TV show was a lighthearted, campy affair starring West as the earnest Batman and his alter ego Bruce Wayne, Burt Ward as Robin and Yvonne Craig as Batgirl.

However, the many colorful villains they faced on a weekly basis were arguably more of a draw, with a stable of mainstays including the Joker (Cesar Romero), the Penguin (Burgess Meredith), the Riddler (Frank Gorshin) and three different women to wear the tight leather of Catwoman (Lee Meriwether, Eartha Kitt and Julie Newmar). Celebrities of the day were regular guest stars, including film director Otto Preminger as Mr. Freeze, Milton Berle as Louie the Lilac, Vincent Price as Egghead, Liberace as Chandell and his twin brother Harry, and Zsa Zsa Gabor as Minerva.

Details will be announced later on specific platforms and pricing.

Man, how did I miss this? It deserves its own topic ... if you don't mind, I'll whip it up now!

Thanks.

See:
HOLY 48th ANNIVERSARY, BATMAN !!
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=81633

Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:21 am

Oh, how I loved the old Batman series and original movie. Classic! I have never bothered with the subsequent films through the years....

Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:02 am

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:To hell with all the gothic, dark Batman Movies of the last couple of decades.

Adam West IS Batman to me!! I LOVED this series and it's the only version I've ever loved (in much the same way as the Chris Reeve Superman movies).

How insane that there is no box set already!! That's just crazy!

Count me in. This was one of those rare shows that was just perfectly cast, everyone from Adam and Burt to Neil Hamilton and Stafford Repp, and the rogues gallery of villains. Hoping we might also get the Green Hornet series on dvd. There are some easy to find dvd's of a Green Hornet movie compiled from episodes, poorly edited to capitalize on Bruce Lee's death. Would be nice to have the original episodes instead.

Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:47 am

I don't think watching it now, in any form, can possibly compare to the wonder and excitement of experiencing it as a child when it first aired. And there is a special reason!

It was the only show I know that had a "To Be Continued" on a Wednesday, and the follow-up on Thursday. Next day, as I remember it. It seemed like waiting FOREVER! You could think of little else! There is no way to reproduce that.

In a local store, they had "Batman" there, and you sat on his lap like Santa Claus. I still have some memorabilia.

It wasn't really Adam West, but to me . . .

rjm

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4

Re: When will Adam West's

Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:39 pm

rjm wrote:I don't think watching it now, in any form, can possibly compare to the wonder and excitement of experiencing it as a child when it first aired. And there is a special reason!

It was the only show I know that had a "To Be Continued" on a Wednesday, and the follow-up on Thursday. Next day, as I remember it. It seemed like waiting FOREVER! You could think of little else! There is no way to reproduce that.

In a local store, they had "Batman" there, and you sat on his lap like Santa Claus. I still have some memorabilia.

rjm

Great pic ,thanks for sharing

Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:26 am

Lonely Summer wrote:
Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:To hell with all the gothic, dark Batman Movies of the last couple of decades.

Adam West IS Batman to me!! I LOVED this series and it's the only version I've ever loved (in much the same way as the Chris Reeve Superman movies).

Count me in. This was one of those rare shows that was just perfectly cast, everyone from Adam and Burt to Neil Hamilton and Stafford Repp, and the rogues gallery of villains. Hoping we might also get the Green Hornet series on dvd. There are some easy to find dvd's of a Green Hornet movie compiled from episodes, poorly edited to capitalize on Bruce Lee's death. Would be nice to have the original episodes instead.

See:
HOLY 48th ANNIVERSARY, BATMAN !!
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=81633

Re: When will Adam West's

Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:22 am

rjm wrote:I don't think watching it now, in any form, can possibly compare to the wonder and excitement of experiencing it as a child when it first aired. And there is a special reason!

rjm

Great memories you have there, rjm. I remember watching the show as a kid, and enjoying it for the good guys vs. bad guys element, and the colorful costumes, but my dad would be in the room laughing at various things that were over my head. Now I watch it the way he did.

Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:39 am

Lonely Summer wrote:

rjm

Great memories you have there, rjm. I remember watching the show as a kid, and enjoying it for the good guys vs. bad guys element, and the colorful costumes, but my dad would be in the room laughing at various things that were over my head. Now I watch it the way he did.

That's spot-on! I cajoled my folks into watching it one time (only once), and they were both laughing hysterically! Not with it; AT it. They thought it was ridiculous. I was kind of insulted. LOL.

But then I saw reruns later in the 70s, when I was about 11 or 12. Not sure. But it looked completely different! I understood what they were laughing at.

And then I caught a few episodes as an adult, in a more knowing time, and I thought it worked as terrific camp. I still think so!

Funny how that happens.

Thanks.

rjm

Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:24 am

Here's the latest on this:

http://comicbook.com/blog/2014/04/07/ba ... burt-ward/

Batman TV Series DVD Set To Include New Bonus Material From Adam West & Burt Ward

By: Joe Comicbook on April 7, 2014

Earlier this year, it was announced that the Batman TV series, which ran from 1966 to 1968 on ABC, would be released later this year on DVD. In the initial announcement, not many details were revealed beyond that the home video release would include the entire series.

In an appearance at the Wizard World St. Louis Comic Con, Batman TV stars Adam West and Burt Ward revealed some additional details about the Batman TV series home video release, along with a release date for the collection.

“Finally, after an innumerable number of years, our series is going to be coming out, all 120 episodes,” said Ward. “I understand it’s right at the end of November this year in time for Christmas.”

Ward added, “I know this last week, both Adam and I at separate times, we went in and we filmed some additional bonus material for Warner Bros. that’s going to be included with the programs. And I also understand that they’ve really done a tremendous job digitally remastering our series so that it’s really going to be just absolutely gorgeous on DVD. So I think you can look forward to a very, very high class product.”

“Warner Bros. had a very fine director/producer they hired,” said West. “And he asked us the most profound questions. And Burt agrees that he asked us things that people have never asked before. And it was tough to answer, but I think we were both very honest and straightforward and told him what he wanted to know.”

“And as a result you folks with the new DVD can see us naked,” joked West.

West added, “We answer questions and tell you things that we’ve never said before. They were so tricky.”

Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:42 am

George Reeves Superman TV series.

Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:47 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

George Reeves Superman TV series.

Yes George Reeves IS Superman, just as Adam will always be Batman.

Thu May 01, 2014 1:57 am

The last season could've been so much better though :

BW : "The show sank in uncreative quick sand"

Maybe they could've made another movie instead & have BG guest star (there were actually plans for a series of films , it never happened though)

Thu May 01, 2014 6:25 pm

Tang Lungs side kick wrote:The last season could've been so much better though :

BW : "The show sank in uncreative quick sand"

Maybe they could've made another movie instead & have BG guest star (there were actually plans for a series of films , it never happened though)

The third season was very poor - trying to cram the gags, props, traps PLUS Batgirl into half an hour. I don't watch those episodes very much.

Thu May 01, 2014 8:33 pm

Christopher reeve IS superman to me not george reeve.
I like Adam west thou, Altough i really like the Movie: Batman (With Jack Nicholson as the Joker!)
Adam west does the voice for ''Mayor Adam West'' in Family Guy, love it :D
phpBB [video]

Fri May 02, 2014 8:17 am

Johnny2523 wrote:Christopher reeve IS superman to me not george reeve.
I like Adam west thou, Altough i really like the Movie: Batman (With Jack Nicholson as the Joker!)
Adam west does the voice for ''Mayor Adam West'' in Family Guy, love it :D
phpBB [video]

Pure West!

Sun May 04, 2014 8:03 am

Christopher Reeves , i think you are leaving off the s , but yes he will always be the real superman and his movies on superman is 2nd to none . i only like 1-3 superman movies as the latter are a little chessy . but chris made superman who he was suppsoed to be . the best no doubt .

Sun May 04, 2014 10:02 pm

elviscollector101 wrote:Christopher Reeves , i think you are leaving off the s , but yes he will always be the real superman and his movies on superman is 2nd to none . i only like 1-3 superman movies as the latter are a little chessy . but chris made superman who he was suppsoed to be . the best no doubt .
It's Christopher Reeve; George Reeves.

Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:36 am

Here's the official release trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTGAXBeYDcM

Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:37 pm

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... ote-716428

Adam West, Burt Ward to Promote 'Batman' at San Diego Comic-Con 2:23 PM PDT 7/2/2014 by Graeme McMillan

The 1960s Batman and Robin (as well as Julie Newmar, AKA Catwoman) will appear on a Thursday evening panel to promote the Blu-ray and DVD release of the classic television version of the Caped Crusader

Holy long-awaited announcement!

Following a tease at the start of the year, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment has finally revealed that the remastered Batman: The Complete Television Series will be released on Blu-ray, DVD and digital HD this November, but that’s not all — to promote the launch, Adam West, Burt Ward and Julie Newmar will appear on a panel together at this year’s San Diego Comic-Con.

According to a release, the actors will “give fans their first inside sneak peak at the most anticipated home entertainment release in fanboy history” at the panel, to be held Thursday, July 24 at 6pm in Hall H. Details to be revealed at the panel include glimpses of exclusive content, footage from the newly remastered series and a look at the limited edition packaging for the series.

Warner Bros. and DC Entertainment has been promoting content related to the television show for some time under the title Batman ‘66, with a critically-acclaimed comic book series by Jeff Parker, Jonathan Case and others, as well as a toy line featuring characters and concepts from the show having been released over the last year. The Adam West visual for the character also appears on material related to DCE’s 75th anniversary celebrations for Batman this year.

Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:45 pm

Holy Batman Original Cast Reunion HD Adam West, Robin, Catwoman, Phoenix Comicon 2014

phpBB [video]

Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:41 am

Persoanlly I don't care if it does or not. I have the whole series on a external hard drive that is just for TV Series. Batman is on it. Maybe the same quality as Doc's. Not sure. But my copy comes from TV Land when it first came on that channel. I also don't care since I met Adam West himself. So both I cherish alot in my life. So yea.....Don't care. It would be nice though. lol

Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:49 am

Rich_TCB wrote:Holy Batman Original Cast Reunion HD Adam West, Robin, Catwoman, Phoenix Comicon 2014

phpBB [video]

That was so cool thanks for sharing! :smt006

Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:24 am

On Amazon now you can preorder either the regular:

http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Complete-D ... %282014%29

Or Blu-Ray:

http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Complete-L ... _mov_img_y

And just like you DJC, I too will be VERY, VERY HAPPY when this is officially out 11/11

Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:46 am

Why is this being released by Warner Brothers?

The TV series was financed and produced by 20th Century Fox. The backlot was the Fox backlot.

How did Warner Brothers get it away from them?