Off Topic Messages

When will Adam West's "Batman" ever be out on DVD?

Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:04 am

As a kid growing up in the 70s I loved this show:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman_(TV_series)

Yes I know it was a "campy" version of Batman & yes I know it's shown on various cable channels around the country, but I still wish they'd release the whole series on DVD. However I don't see it happening anytime soon:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman_(TV_series)#Nonrelease_on_home_video

Re: When will Adam West's "Batman" ever be out on DVD?

Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:57 am

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Batman ... rted/10573

Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:00 am

You actually mean William Dozier and Howie Horwitz's "Batman."

It is a shame it is not on official DVD. Luckily, when TVLand aired the entire 1966-1968 ABC-TV series, a friend of mine archived it and gave me DVD-R copies.

You can find full episodes up on YouTube.

Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:18 am

The multi-generation transfers with washed out color on TV Land and You Tube are a far cry from just how good Adam West's BATMAN can look in HD.

Having seen some of the shows in brand new 35mm prints off the original camera negatives, the quality is stunning.

Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:32 pm

if you want a rough idea of how good the BATMAN tv show would look on DVD...just check out the BATMAN movie with Adam West that is currently available on DVD. The quality is stunning. The tv episodes would look just as sharp and colorful as that.
When i met Adam West in person, i asked him about this very subject concerning availability of the show on home video.
He told me that It all has to do with the twisted royalties BS involving 1960's tv shows. Too complicated for me to remember all the details but to actually get the show out on DVD or BD, it would involve many many contract negotiations on royalty payment. Adam said that Fox would probably spend more money to get the show out on home video than what it would actually make.
Fox doesn't take risks like that...especially not in this economy.

Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:57 pm

Holy moley and flaming fender benders... Batman and Robin Meeting Green Hornet and Kato was one of my favorite episodes...

Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:01 pm

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:The multi-generation transfers with washed out color on TV Land and You Tube are a far cry from just how good Adam West's BATMAN can look in HD.

Having seen some of the shows in brand new 35mm prints off the original camera negatives, the quality is stunning.

No argument there, but I'm happy to have something (DVD-Rs from my friend) rather than nothing.

Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:23 am

I have the movie on DVD which is great fun and have been enjoying the TV series on Pay-TV recently. I have three of the lobby cards, the US half-sheet, one-sheet and Australian daybill, along with a signed photo of Adam West in my collection, but would love a DVD box set of the series.

Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:14 am

Holy Molasses, Batman! I hadnt realized this great ( for many of us) show hadn't hit DVD.

I have the '66 movie on DVD (and saw it rerun in a local theater in the '80s) , having grown up with it in reruns
In the '70s - with brothers who saw and love iit first-run in the '60s!

I 'd buy the set. Doc- you lucked out again! Having the DVD-R's is a nice alternative .

Do the Batusi!

P.S. I recently shelled out some clams for the now-relatively rare 2004 "Spider-Man" cartoon DVD set from 1967.... The kids love it.... And so do I , repetitive scenes and all!

Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:25 am

It's been said that both Adam West and Burt Ward have already taped their commentaries for many (if not all) episodes of the show, should the DVD ever come out. In the meantime, Adam West has put out his own behind-the-scenes DVD: "Adam West Naked." It's a must-buy for any fan of the show! It's hilarious.

http://shop.adamwest.com/collections/fr ... dvd-signed

A brand new 2-Disc DVD produced by and starring Adam West. It contains over 3 hours of footage in which Adam goes episode by episode, recounting his personal memories and telling never-before-heard stories about his experience creating the iconic 1960’s Batman TV series. Amusing and intimate, this DVD immerses fans in the world of the classic Batman series in unparalleled depth. The classic Batman speaks alone to you, the viewer, in a variety of amusing settings, whispering in the attic, or astride an imaginary horse at his home. This DVD is a must for any true Batman fan.

For anyone who can't wait...there are several DVD-R copies of the entire TV series found online:

http://www.ioffer.com/search/items/batman%20tv%20se

Your lobby card looks familiar, Rick..here's mine!

Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:34 am

EPA4368 wrote:Holy moley and flaming fender benders... Batman and Robin Meeting Green Hornet and Kato was one of my favorite episodes...

My favorite ep, because it involved my 2 favorite crime fighting duos - although the styles of the shows were very different.

Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:18 am

The poster I photographed is actually a half-sheet (22x28 inches), bigger than an 11x14 lobby card. It's a great image!
Cool signatures - did you get them personally?

Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:21 pm

Just watching repeats of this on satellite TV:

"Why are you not cold?"
"Because I'm an Icelander you frost bitten baffoon!"
:smt003

Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:29 am

Loved this show as a kid...I have always been a huge "Batman" fan...the villains in this series were phenomenal...love some Gorshin in particular...still the definitive Riddler.

Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:06 am

Adam West is Batman.

Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:24 am

iplayastrat wrote:Adam West is Batman.

+1

I would love to see this series on DVD! I hope that the royalty negotiations can be worked out by 2015-2016, the 50th anniversary of the show. I would imagine that the demand for this series would be high enough that potential buyers would not be scared away by an extra $10.00 to $20.00 US for each set.

I hope that Adam West and Burt Ward have recorded commentaries on the episodes. Their commentary on the "Batman" feature movie DVD is hilarious and entirely worth the cost of the DVD!

See you soon, same BAT-time, same BAT-channel!

Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:28 pm

I taped all the episodes circa 1990-92 when a local station was airing them, but sure would like having them in better quality. The syndicated versions always had a couple minutes chopped out to make time for more commercials, so seeing them complete on dvd would be like seeing them for thefirst time.....again.

Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:10 pm

I'm still waiting for 'Last Precinct' to be on DVD, I have several episodes but that's it. BTW there were only 8 episodes.

Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:29 pm

What is 'Last Precinct'? Is that the one where Adam plays Bannigan?

Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:22 pm

It was an 1986 comedy show where Adam West was the leader of a precinct of wacky cops including an Elvis impersonator (Peter Wilcox who did Elvis' voice on Happy Days and [i]Laverne and Shirley/i]) and some other oddballs. Ernie Hudson from Ghostbusters was also on it. It wasn't a traditional comedy, it was an hour long and on film, and more a deadpan thing, not quite camp. Every episode I believe ended in a faux Elvis song including a version of Bobby Fuller's classic "I Fought the Law" in the pilot. (Strangely enough although it sounds nothing like Elvis, I do occasionally meet the fan who thinks this was an Elvis song. Maybe this show spread that misconception.)

Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:17 am

Are any of the eps on youtube?

Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:35 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRvF5VABOAo

Burt Ward was totally ga ga over her when they did that show......who can blame him :smt007 8)

Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:03 am

Tang Lungs side kick wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRvF5VABOAo

Burt Ward was totally ga ga over her when they did that show......who can blame him :smt007 8)

Although, as it turns out, Lesley was not interested in Burt. Or Adam, for that matter. I do think Adam was quite fond of Julie Newmar, though...although a good crimefighter never gives away his secrets 8)

Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:43 am

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2 ... d/4496197/

'Batman' TV show to receive complete-series set in 2014

Brian Truitt, USA TODAY 5:17 p.m. EST January 15, 2014

Bat-fan Conan O'Brien broke the news on Twitter Wednesday.

Holy nostalgia, Caped Crusader! The original 1960s Batman show is finally getting a home-video release, and Conan O'Brien couldn't be happier.

USA TODAY confirmed the news that the late-night talk-show host tweeted to his 9.75 million followers Wednesday: https://twitter.com/ConanOBrien/status/ ... 4197318656 Warner Bros. Entertainment will be releasing the complete series this year in a box set. He also added a picture of himself and the classic Batmobile with the quip, "The seat smells like Adam West."

The original series, which ran 1966-68 on ABC and in later years in syndication, was many people's introduction to the superhero outside of comics, especially before the Tim Burton Batman movie was released in 1989. And compared to the "Dark Knight" era that began in the 1980s with comics icon Frank Miller and others, the TV show was a lighthearted, campy affair starring West as the earnest Batman and his alter ego Bruce Wayne, Burt Ward as Robin and Yvonne Craig as Batgirl.

However, the many colorful villains they faced on a weekly basis were arguably more of a draw, with a stable of mainstays including the Joker (Cesar Romero), the Penguin (Burgess Meredith), the Riddler (Frank Gorshin) and three different women to wear the tight leather of Catwoman (Lee Meriwether, Eartha Kitt and Julie Newmar). Celebrities of the day were regular guest stars, including film director Otto Preminger as Mr. Freeze, Milton Berle as Louie the Lilac, Vincent Price as Egghead, Liberace as Chandell and his twin brother Harry, and Zsa Zsa Gabor as Minerva.

Details will be announced later on specific platforms and pricing.

Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:10 am

To hell with all the gothic, dark Batman Movies of the last couple of decades.

Adam West IS Batman to me!! I LOVED this series and it's the only version I've ever loved (in much the same way as the Chris Reeve Superman movies).

How insane that there is no box set already!! That's just crazy!