Off Topic Messages

New IPods Do NOT include "Classic" -- A Solution!

Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:11 pm

Seems like Apple has run out of ideas for the IPod classic, but I have a solution!

The main thing with it is space. It now has 160 Gigs. If it is possible to have more, that would be great. They should push "lossless" a lot more, and offer lossless downloads. If many computers are now going without CD drives, that's a problem for the Classic, and for those of us who want lossless music! And a lot of it.

So, I have some solutions.

1) WiFi. Get rid of the cables, and allow users to sync via WiFi. It's a lot faster via USB, and that should be an option, but a WiFi option would be welcomed by those who don't have the ports, and are serious about music. Or for those who just don't want to bother with cables.

2) Lossless. They should offer Lossless songs and albums on both ITunes and Amazon (which works seemlessly with ITunes).

2) Better software for ripping vinyl collections, that could even work with WiFi. Say, a turntable, made by Apple, with WiFi, and sophisticated ripping software, so your entire collection can go on your IPod in a breeze!

4) If they're going with Lossless, in any way, which they have now, they should up the Gigs. Double it. For now. Double it, but keep the device small. I don't think people care if it's a click wheel thing or touch screen. The wheel is more durable, and doesn't encourage a bunch of needless junk on a music player.

Hello, APPLE! Are you guys awake over there? Or are you going to make another almost identical IPhone again, with new dock jacks, and a weird little size adjustment that doesn't fit everyone's existing cases??? Or maybe get busy with something that EVERYONE, everyone who loves music, CARES ABOUT!???!!!???

rjm (I am getting a new phone, and it will not be an IPhone. It will be the Note II. Which is not 4 inches of frustration.)

Re: New IPods Do NOT include "Classic" -- A Solution!

Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:21 pm

Would be nice yes, but it's unlikely to happen.

Also, a lot of what you describe is available online, especially Wi-Fi syncing. Ripping from vinyls can be done with plugins for Audacity and other software. Definitely irritating having to run a million things to get it done, I agree.

Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:22 pm

Which is not 4 inches of frustration.

:smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003

Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:23 am

ECC83 wrote:
Which is not 4 inches of frustration.

:smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003

I saw it, and I had second thoughts, but I said "aw, heck! Go for it!" :smt005

Meanwhile, WiFi syncing without cables, TO the Classic, is available "on-line"? You mean there's a WiFi attachment to the IPod, because it's not built-in. I would think it'd be easy to just put that in.

Whereabouts would I look for that? It's no big deal doing it with a cord, but it would be easier - and it would go to all devices, automatically, even if you don't have other Apple devices, if the IPod had wireless cloud access. (I wonder if the Amazon Cloud can put their stuff from their cloud on to an Apple device? Shouldn't be a big deal. I have playlists on that cloud - that's my music cloud.)

"Hey, hey, you, you, get offa my cloud!" LOL!

UPDATE: I heard this the other day, but was distracted by all the storm news. Two major execs got axed! Big shake-up. No wonder.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/29/apples-mobile-software-and-retail-chiefs-to-depart/

rjm