Off Topic Messages

Clint Eastwood's Greatest Hits -

Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:09 am

What films do you reckon are amongst Clint's best either as actor or director. You can pick no more than five -

Personally speaking here are my fave's -

THE GOOD THE BAD THE UGLY
IN THE LINE OF FIRE
HANG 'EM HIGH
DIRTY HARRY
A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS

Re: Clint Eastwood's Greatest Hits -

Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:17 am

As a baseball fan, I hope his latest one coming out in September is a good one!

Trailer for Trouble With The Curve >> http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/tr ... ve/trailer

Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:41 am

Unforgiven
Gran Torino

Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:20 pm

I recently watched "J. Edgar", which I though was pretty good. Don't forget "Million Dollar Baby" and of course, "Gran Torino".

He's now back in the acting business:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2083383/

Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:51 pm

Hang 'em high doesn't deserve to be in his top five.
Gran Torino and Million Dollar Baby must come close, plus the first two of the `Dollars' trilogy.

Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:55 pm

My favorite Eastwood films:
1.) The Outlaw Josey Wales
2.) Dirty Harry
3.) Unforgiven
4.) Million Dollar Baby
5.) Grand Torino

Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:26 pm

I'm a big fan of Clint -- as a producer, director and actor, but also as one of the finest composers in modern cinema. His is surely one of the great long careers in Hollywood, and with much yet to give, I hope.

It's difficult to narrow down five of Clint's best films as an actor and director -- ten could be chosen quite easily. But here's my five:

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly: A seminal entry in the Spaghetti Western genre and Eastwood's culmination in a defining series of roles that helped reshape - and refresh - the entire western genre. Sergio Leone's direction is superb, with excellent plotting, great action and plenty of quirks and humour. Ennio Morricone's score is outstanding, as are the film's other main players, Eli Wallach and Lee Van Cleef.

Dirty Harry: An iconic and landmark picture that remains among the very best of its kind. Don Siegel's brilliant direction and first-rate location shooting adds considerably, as does Lalo Schifrin's terrific, jazz-tinged score. Eastwood is captivating in the lead and, from beginning to end, this thrilling picture delivers in spades.

Unforgiven: An exemplary western that examines many potent themes, such as morality, hypocrisy and justice. The script is first-rate and Eastwood's direction is most assured, both in directing himself and a fabulous cast -- Gene Hackman, especially. Clint, himself, is superb here and gives one of his better performances within the genre, and of his career.

Mystic River: A deep and powerful chronicle of friendship and ghosts of the past that boasts excellence in every capacity. Sean Penn and Tim Robbins won Oscars here, but Kevin Bacon is their equal -- whilst Clint's direction of difficult material is wholly assured. This is compelling cinema. Nice cameo from Eli Wallach to watch out for. 

Changeling: A true masterwork from Eastwood, who not only directed but composed a marvellous, atmospheric score that's resonates strongly throughout a deeply emotional, and involving, story about a mother's quest to find her missing son. Angelina Jolie is outstanding here, with the feeling for the period (1928, Los Angeles) fully realised via stunning set design and a feeling of genuine authenticity.

Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:01 pm

1. Hang e'm high
2. Dirty Harry
3. High plains drifter
4. Unforgiven

As a director Clint's best films are

1. Changeling
2. A Perfect world
3. Mystic river
4. Gran Torino
5. Million dollar baby

Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:30 am

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly was the first film I remember watching from Clint Eastwood's spaghetti western movies and it's still my favorite. I used to watch it with my father and he use to whistle to the theme song brilliantly, he still can, I tried it myself probably thousands of times but just can't do it. :)

Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:12 am

OK I was a bit harsh on High Plains Drifter. I'm omitting it from the sh*t thread and replace it with Anywhich way You Can :mrgreen:

Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:46 am

I rate High Plains Drifter very highly and consider it to be amongst Clint's most compelling pictures. It's surreal, ethereal and ghostly -- bold in style, with confidenct execution and great acting. The screenplay is really outstanding here, thanks to Ernest Tidyman. And despite being uncompromising, there is a subtlety and underlying depth to Eastwood's phantom stranger, who resonates strongly with previous incarnations of similar characters. This, a post-spaghetti western that was contemporary, yet unique, and with one foot firmly in its roots. Not merely Leone, but also Kurosawa.

This is actually beyond revisionist, leaning heavily towards something new, treading ground still rarely touched on within the genre -- Seraphim Falls warrants attention for anyone who likes High Plains Drifter. As does Pale Rider, which aims more towards being mythical, as opposed to spectral, but is a fine update of Shane and Arthurian knight errant themes. High Plains Drifter is more malevolent, certainly darker; balancing economy of plotting with vivid imagery and a narrative that's self-aware, but unwilling to compromise to audience expectations.