Off Topic Messages

Violent Playground

Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:11 pm

This 1958 British 'juvenile delinquency' film, set in Liverpool, has recently been released on DVD.

It stars Stanley Baker and David McCallum and even features a very young Freddie Star. I had long wanted to obtain this film and finally got it on DVD a couple of years ago, albeit a transfer, I think, from VHS. The title song 'Play Rough' by Johnny Luck, a Fontana recording artist, had for about 30 years been my 'holy grail' and I managed to get that, too, on CD, in 2005. ("That British Sound Vol 3").

Worth getting the DVD, Colin, if you want to relive your youth !

Steve Morse

Re: Violent Playground

Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:17 pm

Steve Morse wrote:This 1958 British 'juvenile delinquency' film, set in Liverpool, has recently been released on DVD.

...Worth getting the DVD, Colin, if you want to relive your youth !

I'm reliving my youth all the time !

I saw the film on TV years ago.

I remember Peter Cushing as a vicar, trying to climb a ladder which is toppled over.

Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:27 pm

Correct, Colin, and not a vampire in sight. The film naturally has its cliched moments, but is not at all bad.

Oh for a time-machine !

Steve Morse

Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:11 pm

Here it is:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006 ... B006L3YML8

Only been out a couple of weeks.

David McCallum dancing to the Johnny Luck tune :)

phpBB [video]

Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:34 pm

Also features a young Freddie Starr

Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:00 am

keninlincs wrote:Also features a young Freddie Starr

Check my original posting, Ken !

Steve Morse

Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:16 am

TJ wrote:Here it is:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006 ... B006L3YML8

Only been out a couple of weeks.

David McCallum dancing to the Johnny Luck tune :)

phpBB [video]

This appears to be of the same quality as on my unofficial DVD. From reviews on Amazon, the new official release must have a much better picture quality. I may well invest !

Steve Morse

Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:56 pm

Yes that's an old clip Steve. There is a "remastered" boast for the new release, so I guess it will be a significant improvement.

Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:28 pm

Steve Morse wrote:
keninlincs wrote:Also features a young Freddie Starr

Check my original posting, Ken !

Steve Morse

Partially sighted Steve,apologies for my error

Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:29 am

Steve Morse wrote:This 1958 British 'juvenile delinquency' film, set in Liverpool, has recently been released on DVD.

It stars Stanley Baker and David McCallum and even features a very young Freddie Star. I had long wanted to obtain this film and finally got it on DVD a couple of years ago, albeit a transfer, I think, from VHS. The title song 'Play Rough' by Johnny Luck, a Fontana recording artist, had for about 30 years been my 'holy grail' and I managed to get that, too, on CD, in 2005. ("That British Sound Vol 3").

Worth getting the DVD, Colin, if you want to relive your youth !

Steve Morse

Does anyone know what became of Johnny Luck? He was a lad from Leith who after the Movie came out did a week at the Edinburgh Empire to thousands of screaming girl fans. I did not hear of him again after that.
Why is this appearing on an Elvis site?

Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:46 am

I bought it on DVD quite recently, but haven't got around to watching it as yet.