Off Topic Messages

Re: Poorly regarded Films you love?

Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:53 am

rocknroller wrote:
Frequency why this movie was not a hit at the time is beyond me fantatic movie from start to finish and the main characters dad is even an elvis fan.

phpBB [video]

promiseland wrote:Somewhere In Time
A 1980 film with Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour, was very well written movie that seems to loop itself in a Twilight Zone way.
Always been one of my favorates of underrated movies .

I love both of these films !

Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:20 am

likethebike wrote:As I mentioned on another thread I love 17 Again as I'm sucker for that type story. Zac Efron is a very capable young leading man with oodles of charisma, Lesley Mann is terrific as the wife, and the screenplay makes up for what it lacks in originality (and it is a retread of at least dozen other movies in this regard) in characterization and humorous details.

The Joan Crawford film The Damned Don't Cry definitely deserves a better rep. Written off as just another Crawford soap opera this is an actually an attempt to tell the Bugsy Siegel/Virginia Hill story with great characterizations. Crawford gives one of her best performances and her character is kind of an early feminist type protagonist who takes control of her own life and of those around her. Being that it's the time that it is, she needs help from the men, but is she who is in control. This is a very tight, very exciting and moving story nearly up to the more celebrated Mildred Pierce.

I think Elvis' Follow That Dream is another flick that deserves a bump up. Simply dismissed as hillbilly vehicle for Elvis, there's some fine humor but more importantly three dimensional characterizations and like few other Elvis films, an opinion about people, the world, and life and culture in the United States. The screenplay was written by Charles Lederer who was one of the best at that job of all time. And the director was Gordon Douglas, one of the models of 1960s expert Hollywood efficiency.

There are others, but those are the three that come to me right off the bat.

Somewhere in Time has acquired a very strong cult over the years particularly among women. My mother is among those who love it.

I think Richard Pryor is a part of the problem of Superman III. He placed the emphasis too heavily on comedy. The original movies had a more even balance between laughs and thrills. Admittedly, the Smallville stuff has a lot of charm.

I don't know how anyone could prefer the new Planet of the Apes to the original. Mark Wahlberg does not even express surprise that Apes can speak and rule the planet. Perhaps he saw the 1968 film. But to each his own.

I liked Frequency as well. See opening about being a sucker for time travel type things. Maybe it seemed too familiar for audiences, or perhaps by 2000 audiences were disappointed at its lack of explosion every 30 seconds violence. It did get a nice little affectionate reference on an episode of Reno 911 though.

Nany of the early 80's Superman comics were funny and those are what I read first along with watching the George Reeves series which frequently used humor. I guess because of that the idea of comedy never bothered me in a Superman film. Actually I think it went too far now as the heroes are so dark especally on film. I liked a good story (and there were many from the 30's to mid 80's) as much as anyone, but pre Crisis the comics were just so much better to me because it remained fun for the most part.

Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:57 am

No disagreement on that Mike. My problem was that the thrills were pretty much thrown off the map in Part III. Part IV I thought mostly suffered from budget issues.

Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:55 pm

Captain Ron
She's out of control
Demolition man
Premonition
The Lovely Bones

Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:01 pm

Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:57 pm

likethebike wrote:No disagreement on that Mike. My problem was that the thrills were pretty much thrown off the map in Part III. Part IV I thought mostly suffered from budget issues.

I think the instablity shown by Superman in III was pretty thrilling, IV's budget was slashed no doubt, but the script, acting, last minute edits that makes it choppy, and even the hair styles were all wrong. Even as a kid I thought it was the worst one by far.
Last edited by Mike Eder on Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:14 pm

CHR1S wrote:Image

As a big big fan of the first movie i have got to say this one was awful ! i saw it at the cinema when it came out and tryed again a few years later still awful !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:59 pm

rocknroller wrote:

As a big big fan of the first movie i have got to say this one was awful ! i saw it at the cinema when it came out and tryed again a few years later still awful !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Massive fan of the original myself but this movie is so cheesy that you cant help but love it. First time i saw it I was 11 and I loved it right on the spot.

Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:51 pm

CHR1S wrote:
rocknroller wrote:

Massive fan of the original myself but this movie is so cheesy that you cant help but love it. First time i saw it I was 11 and I loved it right on the spot.

Good for you mate.i was 14 when i saw it ! still havin nightmares :lol:

Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:58 pm

another "bad" film that I really enjoy !!!!

Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:38 pm

Mommie Dearest & Plan 9 from Outer Space, come to mind!

JEFF d
EP fan

Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:17 pm

Anything Ed Wood is great by me!

Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:56 pm

There is a film that i think is very underrated and that's 'Hider In The House' with Gary Busey and Mimi Rogers.

Gary Busey is a complete nutter in it but you do feel for his character in the film.

Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:15 pm

Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:49 pm

Grease 2..i actually like the music on that one better than the first one.."reproduction"

Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:19 am

How about "Jouney To The Far Side Of The Sun". In Europe it was called "DoppleGanger"

About a mirrored earth on the far side of the Sun. When they think they crashed back on earth , they really made it, because everything is reversed.

Released 1969
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:36 pm

Wyatt Earp with Kevin Cosner-an underrated film that was overshadowed by Tombstone (Kurt Russell).

Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:01 pm

Tickle me. I never tire of watching the scene where Elvis stares at Jocelyn Lane's buns as she's conducting an exercise session. Man I would kill just to have been Elvis at that very moment :smt007 .

Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:10 pm

Contact with Jodie Foster was a well made and very interesting movie.

Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:52 pm

I very much enjoy Frankie and Johnny whenever I take the time to watch it, and there are a number of poorly received or ignored horror film that I enjoy. I'm not saying that I "love" them, but they do what it says on the tin, and sometimes that's all you want.

Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:43 pm

Great casting! Especially... Val Kilmer as Doc. He has been in a lot of films but this goes into one of his best.

Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:33 pm

joshferrell wrote:"walk hard the dewy cox story" one of my favorites from the last few years...original transformers movie from the 80's that flopped at the time and Weird Al Yankovics movie "UHF",another one that flopped at the time..also the Monkees "head"..

Agree. I loved the "Walk Hard" movie and watch it regularly. I can't understand why it never caught the public's imagination.

Another box office flop that I consider to be a great movie and is critically aclaimed is "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford." A superb movie with a haunting soundtrack. I bought the DVD, read the book and got the soundtrack revisiting them all regularly. One of Brad Pitt's favourites of his own movies though virtually nobody saw it.

Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:04 pm

Dog Soldiers.

I don't know anyone that actually likes this film, except me but I think it's a classic.