Off Topic Messages

Poorly regarded Films you love?

Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:20 pm

Yeah. So we have a thread for classics that you don't like, and this discussion has revealed that some of our friends don't rate the likes of Casablanca, Gone With The Wind, Star Wars and the like.

So what poorly regarded films do you unashamedly enjoy?

I'll start with Godzilla - the 90s Hollywood flop. Always did enjoy it!

Re: Poorly regarded Films you love?

Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:22 pm

Peter Rabbit Goes To Town.

Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:39 pm

"walk hard the dewy cox story" one of my favorites from the last few years...original transformers movie from the 80's that flopped at the time and Weird Al Yankovics movie "UHF",another one that flopped at the time..also the Monkees "head"..

Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:50 pm

joshferrell wrote:"walk hard the dewy cox story" one of my favorites from the last few years...original transformers movie from the 80's that flopped at the time and Weird Al Yankovics movie "UHF",another one that flopped at the time..also the Monkees "head"..

HEAD is a cult classic now though, but I agree, it's brilliant from start to finish.

I also like Walk Hard.

I thought Body Of Evidence was all right too despite been smashed to pieces by critics.

Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:40 am

Bob Dylan's 4 hour epic Renaldo and Clara. The concert footage is incredible, never seen Bob as energized as he is here, plus all through the film there are great rehearsal versions of his classics playing underneath the action on screen. Yeah, it goes on far too long at 4 hours, and there's no discernable plotline, but if you think this is bad, watch his 1987 flop Hearts of Fire.

Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:04 am

The Man in the Iron mask (Leonardo Dicaprio version)
Last Action hero
Radio Flyer
Multiplicity

Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:14 am

brian wrote:The Man in the Iron mask (Leonardo Dicaprio version)

DiCaprio is a fine actor. Deserves more credit.

Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:17 am

Roger Corman's Gas-s-s-s : Or it Became Necessary to Destroy the World in Order to Save It.
It's the definitive statement on the baby boom generation.

Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:16 pm

Planet of the Apes (2001 film) by tim burton love this movie and its stunning in blu-ray.

phpBB [video]

weekend at bernies 2 nowhere near a good as the first one but i still enjoy it.

phpBB [video]

Frequency why this movie was not a hit at the time is beyond me fantatic movie from start to finish and the main characters dad is even an elvis fan.

phpBB [video]

Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:25 pm

Somewhere In Time
A 1980 film with Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour, was very well written movie that seems to loop itself in a Twilight Zone way.
Always been one of my favorates of underrated movies .
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somewhere_in_Time_(film)

Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:17 pm

The Postman with Kevin Costner
and Soldier with Kurt Russell

Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:49 pm

rocknroller wrote:Planet of the Apes (2001 film) by tim burton love this movie....

I love it more than the original!
keninlincs wrote:The Postman with Kevin Costner

Yep - another good film!
promiseland wrote:Somewhere In Time
A 1980 film with Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour, was very well written movie that seems to loop itself in a Twilight Zone way.
Always been one of my favorates of underrated movies .

Excellent film. I pretty much love anything with Chris Reeve in. He was such an endearing fella.

Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:54 pm

I like Superman III and the later Three Stooges movies.

Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:01 pm

Mike Eder wrote:I like Superman III and the later Three Stooges movies.

I'm not a fan of "snow white" but the other later three stooges movies aren't as bad as what people make them out to be the same with the New 3 stooges cartoon series sure there is no violence in them but i think they did a good job doing the characters in spite of it..

Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:28 pm

There is no way in hell someone could make me watch Superman III or IV again.

Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:40 pm

KingOfTheJungle wrote:

There is no way in hell someone could make me watch Superman III or IV again.

I can understand not liking "Superman IV" but at least "Superman III" had Richard Pryor,, :mrgreen:

Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:41 pm

I like all the Reeve Superman films, unashamedly!

Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:01 am

The 13th Warrior

Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:04 am

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:I like all the Reeve Superman films, unashamedly!

The Richard Donner version of "Superman II" is pretty interesting although it's not finished and there are some scenes missing..in fact "superman returns" makes more sense if you watch it with the Richard Donner "SM II" than it it does with the released "SM II" that everyone knows and love that's why alot of people don't like "SM Returns" because they assume it comes after the "SM II" that everyone is used to watching but yet it contradicts it and it REALLY goes after the original Richard Donner script/movie version which most people haven't seen,no wonder "SM Returns" flopped because it ws too darn confusing... "SM III" I found funny in parts because of Richard Pryor and I kind of like it when Superman goes crazy .. but SM "IV" was pretty bad IMO..

Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:24 am

joshferrell wrote:

I'm not a fan of "snow white" but the other later three stooges movies aren't as bad as what people make them out to be the same with the New 3 stooges cartoon series sure there is no violence in them but i think they did a good job doing the characters in spite of it..

Yeah Snow White is the only one I cannot watch. I don't love the cartoons but some of them were decent. I like Shemp, Besser, and Derita in general though. Became a fan of them by watching their solo work and then I could figure out what they brought to the group a lot better.

Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:27 am

Superman IV I can't get into but I like III because it's more about his earth adventures. Pryor was funny as was Reeve as Clark. Evil Superman is pretty cool too. Annette O Toole was really pretty and likeable as well.

Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:28 am

Mike Eder wrote:
joshferrell wrote:

Yeah Snow White is the only one I cannot watch. I don't love the cartoons but some of them were decent. I like Shemp, Besser, and Derita in general though. Became a fan of them by watching their solo work and then I could figure out what they brought to the group a lot better.

Shemp is VERY underrated..no doubt about it

Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:56 am

Lonely Summer wrote:Bob Dylan's 4 hour epic Renaldo and Clara. The concert footage is incredible, never seen Bob as energized as he is here, plus all through the film there are great rehearsal versions of his classics playing underneath the action on screen. Yeah, it goes on far too long at 4 hours, and there's no discernable plotline, but if you think this is bad, watch his 1987 flop Hearts of Fire.

The live footage is great. Bob's voice never sounded the same from 1978 on. The movie stuff is very bad but the scene on Rubin Carter is very interesting. I love the short rehersal snippit of I Want You. Has that ever been booted?

Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:33 am

Mike Eder wrote:
Lonely Summer wrote:Bob Dylan's 4 hour epic Renaldo and Clara. The concert footage is incredible, never seen Bob as energized as he is here, plus all through the film there are great rehearsal versions of his classics playing underneath the action on screen. Yeah, it goes on far too long at 4 hours, and there's no discernable plotline, but if you think this is bad, watch his 1987 flop Hearts of Fire.

The live footage is great. Bob's voice never sounded the same from 1978 on. The movie stuff is very bad but the scene on Rubin Carter is very interesting. I love the short rehersal snippit of I Want You. Has that ever been booted?

IIRC, that version of I Want You plays under a scene of Bob driving the tour bus - which was possibly the biggest surprise to me out of the whole film. "Bob Dylan can drive a bus?" :shock: Bob's voice was at its best in the mid 70's, and its just amazing how many different ways he can reinvent his songs. BTW, the entire film was uploaded to youtube just a few days ago - much better quality than the copy i have. not that that's gonna convince many people to sit through this 4 hour muddle!

Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:09 am

As I mentioned on another thread I love 17 Again as I'm sucker for that type story. Zac Efron is a very capable young leading man with oodles of charisma, Lesley Mann is terrific as the wife, and the screenplay makes up for what it lacks in originality (and it is a retread of at least dozen other movies in this regard) in characterization and humorous details.

The Joan Crawford film The Damned Don't Cry definitely deserves a better rep. Written off as just another Crawford soap opera this is an actually an attempt to tell the Bugsy Siegel/Virginia Hill story with great characterizations. Crawford gives one of her best performances and her character is kind of an early feminist type protagonist who takes control of her own life and of those around her. Being that it's the time that it is, she needs help from the men, but is she who is in control. This is a very tight, very exciting and moving story nearly up to the more celebrated Mildred Pierce.

I think Elvis' Follow That Dream is another flick that deserves a bump up. Simply dismissed as hillbilly vehicle for Elvis, there's some fine humor but more importantly three dimensional characterizations and like few other Elvis films, an opinion about people, the world, and life and culture in the United States. The screenplay was written by Charles Lederer who was one of the best at that job of all time. And the director was Gordon Douglas, one of the models of 1960s expert Hollywood efficiency.

There are others, but those are the three that come to me right off the bat.

Somewhere in Time has acquired a very strong cult over the years particularly among women. My mother is among those who love it.

I think Richard Pryor is a part of the problem of Superman III. He placed the emphasis too heavily on comedy. The original movies had a more even balance between laughs and thrills. Admittedly, the Smallville stuff has a lot of charm.

I don't know how anyone could prefer the new Planet of the Apes to the original. Mark Wahlberg does not even express surprise that Apes can speak and rule the planet. Perhaps he saw the 1968 film. But to each his own.

I liked Frequency as well. See opening about being a sucker for time travel type things. Maybe it seemed too familiar for audiences, or perhaps by 2000 audiences were disappointed at its lack of explosion every 30 seconds violence. It did get a nice little affectionate reference on an episode of Reno 911 though.