Off Topic Messages

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:53 pm

FVH wrote:He is - and will always be - overrated.
There's apparently no limits as to what death can do for your career.

There's no denying that he was first - he paved the way for others - although he had some very good contemporaries, who easily could have taken his place as the guitarsaint.
Clapton and Blackmore to name two. Problem is they didn't die. Blackers to me, in particular, was technically way above Hendrix - and wrote better riffs as well.

Just because he was first doesn't mean he was/is best.

But then, polls of this kind are useless. Some like this, and some like that.
Hendrix always winds up on top anyway, as if we're bad people if we don't vote him up there.

To me, Jimi Hendrix is HIGHLY overrated.
It takes more than dying to be raved about in the manner we see.

Please, render me an impromptu version of Fire that's vastly different from the studio version and then we can have a serious chat about what's overrated or not. It's no great big secret that anyone's death suddenly has a positive effect on ratings, sales and everything else.

I don't think anyone is rating Jimi Hendrix No.1 because he was technically the greatest to the modern day (though as of the late 60's/early 70's he probably was), but it's due to multiple reasons. Being the first to do something has a HUGE bearing, it's similar to Elvis. Elvis isn't necessarily the greatest at anything specifically, he just had a massive reach in everything he did, he we was well rounded musically in so many departments that many arists even now have absolutely no grasp of.

Clapton was definitely NOT better than Hendrix technically, please cite several pieces from that era prior to his death that demonstrates this? Also, whilst you're at it, please give me a Blackmore example as well. Anything after 1970 is debatable, anything before definitely is NOT. Also, like I said before, this argument of who is/was the greatest is not all about technicality. Yngwie Malmsteen is probably more technically apt 500 times more than Clapton and Blackmore put together, yet you don't see him hounding top 10 lists constantly. What about Shawn Lane? Almost forgotten now after his death, yet he was more gifted than Malmsteen and your friend Blackmore, let's not forget Frank Gambale who's known for his pioneering work on sweep picking, this can go on all day and it would be an insult to have even brought Clapton or Blackmore in to a guitar discussion regarding "technicality". Whilst I'm there, I'm going to throw in Michelangelo for shits and giggles, please let me know when Blackmore gets there.

Conclusion: This is not purely about about technicality, and any instances of it must be evaluated purely at the point in time it's relevant to, therefore for Hendrix up to September 1970, or whenever it was that he died.

Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:07 pm

Insert Bruce Springsteen's name into the subject title. 8)

Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:45 pm

ian wrote:Insert Bruce Springsteen's name into the subject title. 8)

He's not dead yet :smt006

Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:21 am

Jimi Hendrix, over-rated? No.

Was John Lennon over-rated and over hyped? Most certainly. Was he a great talent? Yes but Lennon was an angry, bitter man, who caused the breakup of the Beatles but blamed Paul McCartney for many years.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:22 am

memfisking wrote:Was John Lennon over-rated ...

Nope.

Hope this helps. ;-)

Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:44 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
memfisking wrote:Was John Lennon over-rated ...

Nope.

Hope this helps. ;-)

Seems like you ignored the rest of my post so you must agree with me about the angry and bitter part. Hard to deny, when the evidence is there for all to see. ::rocks

Back on topic. IMO Hendrix wasn't the best guitarist but what he did with it was sublime. Technically, Vai, Satriani and some others are far superior to Hendrix but knowing every scale in the book does not make a a great guitarist.

Look at the Edge for instance, technically he is a very average guitarist but the sounds he creates in his music is legendary.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:20 am

Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?...no more than Elvis was and is !! :lol:

Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:46 am

Elvis overrated? The singer of such classics as Song of the Shrimp, My Boy, Heart of Rome and Love Song of the Year overrated? WTF?

Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:45 am

memfisking wrote:... you must agree with me about the angry and bitter part ...

Nope.

Most would agree your entire statement is poppycock.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:14 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
memfisking wrote:... you must agree with me about the angry and bitter part ...

Nope.

Most would agree your entire statement is poppycock.

I would say that these two posts are poppycock! 8)

by jinjoe » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:20 pm

Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?...no more than Elvis was and is !!

jinjoe

by Lonely Summer » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:46 pm

Elvis overrated? The singer of such classics as Song of the Shrimp, My Boy, Heart of Rome and Love Song of the Year overrated? WTF?
"Here's another dime for you, Mr. Songman"

Lonely Summer

Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:57 am

memfisking wrote:Jimi Hendrix, over-rated? No.

Was John Lennon over-rated and over hyped? Most certainly. Was he a great talent? Yes but Lennon was an angry, bitter man, who caused the breakup of the Beatles but blamed Paul McCartney for many years.

That's a fact.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:00 pm

None of these folks are overrated anymore than many people think Elvis is overrated. All of them contributed to music and changed the landscape greatly. I know many people who think Elvis, Sinatra and Bruce are very overrated. Some I know don't like the Beatles or Dylan. Its all a matter of taste, but no one denies that fact that each were important. Some were more talented than others in certain areas obviously. Try googling Elvis overrated one day. You will be surprised at what pops up.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:43 am

jinjoe wrote:Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?...no more than Elvis was and is !! :lol:
come off it, we all know Elvis was the best guitarist! :P

Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:13 am

Don't know if he's overrated and overhyped... I don't like him too much, so I just don't care.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:58 am

r&b wrote:None of these folks are overrated anymore than many people think Elvis is overrated. All of them contributed to music and changed the landscape greatly. I know many people who think Elvis, Sinatra and Bruce are very overrated. Some I know don't like the Beatles or Dylan. Its all a matter of taste, but no one denies that fact that each were important. Some were more talented than others in certain areas obviously. Try googling Elvis overrated one day. You will be surprised at what pops up.

Jeeze thanks Ian for Bumping up this topic which I thought lost gas over a year ago :D Now r&b the point of this topic is that I believe most deceased pop stars become ridiculously overrated and overhyped, especially Mr Hendrix. Bruce as far as I'm concerned desrerves all the accolades and respect for his enduring gift and energy to put on a show and give the audiences their monies worth. You care to comment on that ?

Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:53 pm

Robt wrote:
r&b wrote:None of these folks are overrated anymore than many people think Elvis is overrated. All of them contributed to music and changed the landscape greatly. I know many people who think Elvis, Sinatra and Bruce are very overrated. Some I know don't like the Beatles or Dylan. Its all a matter of taste, but no one denies that fact that each were important. Some were more talented than others in certain areas obviously. Try googling Elvis overrated one day. You will be surprised at what pops up.

Jeeze thanks Ian for Bumping up this topic which I thought lost gas over a year ago :D Now r&b the point of this topic is that I believe most deceased pop stars become ridiculously overrated and overhyped, especially Mr Hendrix. Bruce as far as I'm concerned desrerves all the accolades and respect for his enduring gift and energy to put on a show and give the audiences their monies worth. You care to comment on that ?

I agree with you on Bruce and I agree with you that death overrates stars, especially ones that die before their time, like Hendrix, Janis, James Dean, Lennon, and yes, even Elvis. Elvis changed the world 20 years before his death but really was not at his career best when he died. Janis, Jimi , Dean were at their height when they died and Lennon was shot which was different from all the others. All of these people excelled in their field, or did something to change the way we think about a certain genre. When Elvis died, he hadn't had a top 10 hit in 5 years, was the subject of mockery in tabloids, and was in general , in a career tailspin since 1973, so a person can look at all that and say yes he was overrated, especially a teenager at the time who was not around pre-Beatles.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:14 pm

I wouldn't say Jimi was overrated - even if he's not my favorite performer; Elvis is not overrated; Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Bo Diddley and Fats Domino are wayyy underrated, though.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:07 am

EP is overrated. But Hendrix, Morrison, Joplin and Nirvana lead singer are overrated and overhyped a lot more.