Off Topic Messages

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:54 pm

If it's associated with Elvis - it has to be the best!

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:33 pm

Matthew wrote:If it's associated with Elvis - it has to be the best!


What about Voice ?

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:41 pm

midnightx wrote:FVH, we get it, you have an infatuation with Blackmore. Many of us also dig Blackmore, but you won't find many music enthusiasts rating him higher than Hendrix on any level.


Nice to see that you've done research in this field so that you know exactly what's what.
Regardless of everything, that statement of yours is just stupid. Just as the guys on here who seem to know "what EP would think or would have said to so and so".
What is "many"?
Most of the "music enthusiasts" I personally know rate RB higher than Hendrix.

But, if you'd cared to see the context in the quote in my post, you'd see that someone pointed out that "if we asked i.e. Blackmore, we might understand".
Well, someone asked him, and what he said can be read in my post.
Whether or not I have an infatuation with RB is not the issue. I just happen to share his views on Hendrix' ability on the guitar.
I'd take RB - and at least 20 other guitar players - before Hendrix any time.

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:50 pm

ColinB wrote:
Matthew wrote:If it's associated with Elvis - it has to be the best!


What about Voice ?

Voice kicked ass. What else is there to know?

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:41 pm

I'd have no problem with any of these embarrassing posts if people instead of adding "in my honest opinion" to their posts, they instead write"in my honest, prejudiced, narrow-minded opinion...." That would definitely clear up all this confusion.

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:03 pm

IMETJB wrote:I'd have no problem with any of these embarrassing posts if people instead of adding "in my honest opinion" to their posts, they instead write"in my honest, prejudiced, narrow-minded opinion...." That would definitely clear up all this confusion.

:lol:

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:42 pm

Matthew wrote:If it's associated with Elvis - it has to be the best!

James Burton doesn't need the Elvis connection to be rated among the best. Ever heard his playing on those Ricky Nelson records? How about "Susie Q"? And there are countless other sessions he's done with Merle Haggard, John Denver, Jerry Lee Lewis, even the other Elvis - Costello. There's a lot more to playing the guitar than just turning the amp up to 11, and setting it on fire. Sometimes restraint and short, concise solo's are what a song needs.

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:22 am

How is it that any time anyone expresses reservations or a negative artistic view of an artist other than Elvis, they're automatically a deranged, narrow minded, Elvis worshiping cultist? It's quite possible that some people may indeed feel that Jimi Hendrix is over hyped, and overrated. I don't happen to be one of them. However, what's proper to offer back is a defense of Hendrix's gift not ad-hominem attack.

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:31 am

elvislennon wrote:Jimi Hendrix defined the guitar more than any other musician. No other artist played in that style before and now there is only carbon copies of him. Jimi's woodstock performance is great. But I will stay that his performance at the 1970 Atlanta Pop Festival beats it and its sad they won't release that here in America. As for the list that Rolling Stone did I disagree with it but I don't disagree with #1. Jimi is plain and simple - THE BEST.


Hendrix´ Atlanta Festival performance of 1970 isn´t that great really. Ever heard Hey Baby from that show?? It is hoplessly out of tune. The guitar sound is a bit weird too imo. The Atlanta show isn´t anywhere near the Fillmore East shows from December ´69/January ´70 or The New York Pop Festival show at Randalls Island to name a few. And speaking about Hendrix live, any fan should check out the Winterland ´68 box set that was released earlier this year, it is fabulous! There is a beautiful version of Little Wing there that really showcases his more delicate, melodic sides.

Sincerely MB280E

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:45 am

IMETJB wrote:I'd have no problem with any of these embarrassing posts if people instead of adding "in my honest opinion" to their posts, they instead write"in my honest, prejudiced, narrow-minded opinion...." That would definitely clear up all this confusion.


Nah "in my honest opinion" is accurate enough :mrgreen:

A prejudiced, narrow-minded opinion ?!?? I'm a Hendrix fan since 1982 (admittedly not as huge as I once was) and the fact is there were other guitar pickers that were greater (some still going).
Sure he was innovative, theatrical and pushed the boundaries including with the blues and combined it with rock of that era to make his sound. which at the time while it was so unique, anyone could have done that. but he was the first that dared to do, but in techincal abilitty, IMHO he wasn't that great. Many guitarists around the same era were better including;.


Eric Clapton
Duane Allman
Jimmy Page
Jeff Beck
Carlos Santana

And that's just the contempories of Jimi

One last point, because he died young he has became such an iconic god like figure to many of his fans, almost beyond any sort of negative comment or review (not unlike Elvis and James Dean).

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:07 am

ColinB wrote:
Matthew wrote:If it's associated with Elvis - it has to be the best!


What about Voice ?

Elvis only worked with the best in the whole-wide world!

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:04 am

I'll add that I was not one of the fortunate few that got to see Hendrix live, but I have seen him on the big screen at Experience Music Project's JBM Theater, and it was great. Great footage, really brought out his command of the guitar, his instinctive feel for the music, stage presence...but he's not my favorite guitarist or performer. There are many, many I prefer to Jimi, but that doesn't mean I don't recognize him as an innovator or great performer. Just my personal preference. Obviously James Burton can't hold a candle to Jimi in terms of stage presence, but that wasn't his job. His job was to back up the star, and IMHO, nobody did a better job of that.And can you imagine Scotty cutting up behind Elvis, playing the guitar with his teeth, and setting his guitar on fire, maybe doing a duckwalk? No, that was not his job, Elvis was the star, but make no mistake, Scotty was an integral part of Elvis' early sound.

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:28 am

Wow that's great that you saw him Live. Did Jimi thrash his guitar too :mrgreen: What about any of the other guitar legends I mentioned previously such as Duane Eddy, SANTANA and Jeff Beck Band ? Any thoughts...

Also what do others think of this cool Hendrix instrumental-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOzfKdeTxvQ

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:12 am

midnightx wrote:
bquick wrote:On chance...it is hard to fathom liking rock and roll and not liking Hendrix.

But you are also dealing with a faction of fans that like things mostly associated with Elvis. They'll rank James Burton and Jerry Reed among the greatest guitarists of all time; even though neither are remotely in that class of guitarist. They'll embrace Tony Joe White (because Elvis covered one of his big tracks), listen to Johnny Cash (a fellow SUN artist), listen to Charlie Rich because Elvis was into him during the 70s, listen to Rick Nelson because of the Burton association, etc. You can often see the pattern. They also dismiss anyone else that has a huge, universal reputation not associated with Elvis because one, they have never really explored the other artist, and two, because everything is a competition with Elvis - and Elvis has to be number one.

Midnightx you couldn't have put it any better that this ! This should end any argument on this topic period! :smt023 :smt023 :smt023 :smt023 :smt023

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:19 am

midnightx wrote:
Robt wrote:Jimi Hendrix as good and theatrical as he was, IMHO does not come within a bull's roar of either Scotty or James Burton's skill and variety.

:smt003 :smt003 :smt003

OMG YOU GOT TO BE FU**KING KIDDING ME!!!!! LMFAO!!!!!

smt174 smt174 smt174 smt174 smt174 smt174
:smt005 :smt005 :smt005 :smt005
:smt003 :smt003 :smt003
:smt003 :smt003
smt174

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:27 am

Nope. I'm very serious. If you can't provide an reasonable answer or have a problem with that then do not come onto this topic. OMG to you too, Hendrix arsekisser :roll:

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:43 pm

Robt wrote:Nope. I'm very serious. If you can't provide an reasonable answer or have a problem with that then do not come onto this topic. OMG to you too, Hendrix arsekisser :roll:


Re - read midnightx's replies he has already provided you a reasonable answer --NOW ACCEPT THE FACTS! :smt006

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:50 pm

I have and even agree with some of midnightx comments. So what is the point of your previous arty farty post ? What a turkey!

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:53 pm

nothing personal it just shocked the hell out of me for a minute .. over it now my apolgies to you sir :wink:

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:20 pm

OK appology accepted. Let's move on, unless you have anything new to contribute.This subjected has had a long enough run.

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:53 pm

FVH wrote:He is - and will always be - overrated.
There's apparently no limits as to what death can do for your career.

There's no denying that he was first - he paved the way for others - although he had some very good contemporaries, who easily could have taken his place as the guitarsaint.
Clapton and Blackmore to name two. Problem is they didn't die. Blackers to me, in particular, was technically way above Hendrix - and wrote better riffs as well.

Just because he was first doesn't mean he was/is best.

But then, polls of this kind are useless. Some like this, and some like that.
Hendrix always winds up on top anyway, as if we're bad people if we don't vote him up there.

To me, Jimi Hendrix is HIGHLY overrated.
It takes more than dying to be raved about in the manner we see.


Please, render me an impromptu version of Fire that's vastly different from the studio version and then we can have a serious chat about what's overrated or not. It's no great big secret that anyone's death suddenly has a positive effect on ratings, sales and everything else.

I don't think anyone is rating Jimi Hendrix No.1 because he was technically the greatest to the modern day (though as of the late 60's/early 70's he probably was), but it's due to multiple reasons. Being the first to do something has a HUGE bearing, it's similar to Elvis. Elvis isn't necessarily the greatest at anything specifically, he just had a massive reach in everything he did, he we was well rounded musically in so many departments that many arists even now have absolutely no grasp of.

Clapton was definitely NOT better than Hendrix technically, please cite several pieces from that era prior to his death that demonstrates this? Also, whilst you're at it, please give me a Blackmore example as well. Anything after 1970 is debatable, anything before definitely is NOT. Also, like I said before, this argument of who is/was the greatest is not all about technicality. Yngwie Malmsteen is probably more technically apt 500 times more than Clapton and Blackmore put together, yet you don't see him hounding top 10 lists constantly. What about Shawn Lane? Almost forgotten now after his death, yet he was more gifted than Malmsteen and your friend Blackmore, let's not forget Frank Gambale who's known for his pioneering work on sweep picking, this can go on all day and it would be an insult to have even brought Clapton or Blackmore in to a guitar discussion regarding "technicality". Whilst I'm there, I'm going to throw in Michelangelo for shits and giggles, please let me know when Blackmore gets there.

Conclusion: This is not purely about about technicality, and any instances of it must be evaluated purely at the point in time it's relevant to, therefore for Hendrix up to September 1970, or whenever it was that he died.

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:07 pm

Insert Bruce Springsteen's name into the subject title. 8)

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:45 pm

ian wrote:Insert Bruce Springsteen's name into the subject title. 8)


He's not dead yet :smt006

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:21 am

Jimi Hendrix, over-rated? No.

Was John Lennon over-rated and over hyped? Most certainly. Was he a great talent? Yes but Lennon was an angry, bitter man, who caused the breakup of the Beatles but blamed Paul McCartney for many years.

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:22 am

memfisking wrote:Was John Lennon over-rated ...


Nope.

Hope this helps. ;-)