Off Topic Messages

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:41 pm

bquick wrote:On chance...it is hard to fathom liking rock and roll and not liking Hendrix.

But you are also dealing with a faction of fans that like things mostly associated with Elvis. They'll rank James Burton and Jerry Reed among the greatest guitarists of all time; even though neither are remotely in that class of guitarist. They'll embrace Tony Joe White (because Elvis covered one of his big tracks), listen to Johnny Cash (a fellow SUN artist), listen to Charlie Rich because Elvis was into him during the 70s, listen to Rick Nelson because of the Burton association, etc. You can often see the pattern. They also dismiss anyone else that has a huge, universal reputation not associated with Elvis because one, they have never really explored the other artist, and two, because everything is a competition with Elvis - and Elvis has to be number one.

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:56 pm

A talented left handed guitarist without a doubt who influenced his generation. That I can appreciate, but he means absolutely nothing to me and I never give him a second thought.

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:10 pm

Hendrix was a musical genius and a brilliant talent, whose influence and legacy remains as broad as it is long. His skill as a guitarist comes with the greatest of renown, and he was not only a fabulous performer, but a great vocalist. As a blues singer, he was, arguably, the best of his generation and, perhaps, the finest among contemporary popular artists of the era. Had he lived, Hendrix's body of work would surely have been extraordinary -- more so than it most certainly is.

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:23 pm

midnightx wrote:
bquick wrote:On chance...it is hard to fathom liking rock and roll and not liking Hendrix.

But you are also dealing with a faction of fans that like things mostly associated with Elvis. They'll rank James Burton and Jerry Reed among the greatest guitarists of all time; even though neither are remotely in that class of guitarist. They'll embrace Tony Joe White (because Elvis covered one of his big tracks), listen to Johnny Cash (a fellow SUN artist), listen to Charlie Rich because Elvis was into him during the 70s, listen to Rick Nelson because of the Burton association, etc. You can often see the pattern. They also dismiss anyone else that has a huge, universal reputation not associated with Elvis because one, they have never really explored the other artist, and two, because everything is a competition with Elvis - and Elvis has to be number one.

I get it...but for a fanbase who often exclaims that Elvis' popularity after being dead 35 years is astonishing, they should at least recognize Hendrix has been dead longer and was on the national stage only about 15 percent as long as Elvis, and he is still hugely popular today. In fact, more guitarists try to sound like Hendrix than vocalists try to sound like Elvis nowadays. Elvis can be your number one...he would be mine if was so inclined to rank them all...but why not just see music as a great web of entertainment, interconnected between various styles and eras.

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:01 am

midnightx wrote:
bquick wrote:On chance...it is hard to fathom liking rock and roll and not liking Hendrix.

But you are also dealing with a faction of fans that like things mostly associated with Elvis. They'll rank James Burton and Jerry Reed among the greatest guitarists of all time; even though neither are remotely in that class of guitarist. They'll embrace Tony Joe White (because Elvis covered one of his big tracks), listen to Johnny Cash (a fellow SUN artist), listen to Charlie Rich because Elvis was into him during the 70s, listen to Rick Nelson because of the Burton association, etc. You can often see the pattern. They also dismiss anyone else that has a huge, universal reputation not associated with Elvis because one, they have never really explored the other artist, and two, because everything is a competition with Elvis - and Elvis has to be number one.

Round of applause!

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:13 am

midnightx wrote:
bquick wrote:On chance...it is hard to fathom liking rock and roll and not liking Hendrix.

But you are also dealing with a faction of fans that like things mostly associated with Elvis. They'll rank James Burton and Jerry Reed among the greatest guitarists of all time; even though neither are remotely in that class of guitarist. They'll embrace Tony Joe White (because Elvis covered one of his big tracks), listen to Johnny Cash (a fellow SUN artist), listen to Charlie Rich because Elvis was into him during the 70s, listen to Rick Nelson because of the Burton association, etc. You can often see the pattern. They also dismiss anyone else that has a huge, universal reputation not associated with Elvis because one, they have never really explored the other artist, and two, because everything is a competition with Elvis - and Elvis has to be number one.


So says the meme around here. It's a little tiresome and sad that so many fans have to build their self-esteem by proclaiming their superiority to other fans.

Despite the prevalence of the meme, it really has no basis in this argument as the original essay, referencing figures Joe Satriani and Yngwie Malmsteen, was obviously written by a metal fan, a tradition with marginal ties at best to Elvis.

As for the original post, I don't think Hendrix is overrated. I've always thought the wide of sounds that he was able to get out of a guitar kind of pushed him ahead of other players. As an artist I've always appreciated his individuality and his interest in white rock n' roll at a time when the white and black traditions were pulling further and further away from one another. I don't necessarily think of him as guitarist first, that was just the best skill he had in his overall artistic package.

I always get a little upset when people dismiss things like showmanship as if it were nothing. It's actually very important and in pop music it is a huge thing that separates from other performers particularly when so much of pop music is consumed in live concerts.

Is he the greatest guitarist ever? That's all subjective. I know a lot of jazz fans who might pick Django Rheinhardt.

I do understand the complaint many fans would have with these Rolling Stone polls. It's always Dylan, the Beatles, the Rolling Stones no matter what the poll unless it's an extremely specialized poll like this one when it's Hendrix, of course an artist who peaked between the only truly worthy years in pop history in R&S's estimation 1966-1976.

On the over hyped front, as opposed to overrated, I think Led Zeppelin is due to get knocked down a few pegs. They were a great group but I remember a VH1 Poll that ranked them as #3 all time behind the Beatles and Bob Dylan. I was thinking you've gotta be kidding me. That's kind of the modern view of them but to me, they're a cut or two below the Elvis, Dylan, Chuck Berry, Beatles level. I thought Time Life's 50 something ranking was fair. Argue on.

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:53 am

You know what's overhyped? Rolling Stone 'Best Of' polls. Aren't they the same publication that has done cover stories on Britney Spears and Justin Bieber? 'Nuff said.

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:50 am

midnightx wrote:
bquick wrote:On chance...it is hard to fathom liking rock and roll and not liking Hendrix.

But you are also dealing with a faction of fans that like things mostly associated with Elvis. They'll rank James Burton and Jerry Reed among the greatest guitarists of all time; even though neither are remotely in that class of guitarist. They'll embrace Tony Joe White (because Elvis covered one of his big tracks), listen to Johnny Cash (a fellow SUN artist), listen to Charlie Rich because Elvis was into him during the 70s, listen to Rick Nelson because of the Burton association, etc. You can often see the pattern. They also dismiss anyone else that has a huge, universal reputation not associated with Elvis because one, they have never really explored the other artist, and two, because everything is a competition with Elvis - and Elvis has to be number one.



Well maybe Elvis has exposed fans and myself to other good music, but in my case that has had a continued domino efffect that goes on from each new artist I discover. In other words when I hear music of any sort I either like it or I don't. What Elvis thought of it or it's connection to him doesn't matter.

I happen to like all the Sun artists you mentioned better than Jimi, but I like Jimi a lot too. I know he was more innovative in some ways than Rick Nelson, (certainly he released far less filler) but I happen to like Rick's style a tad better and this goes for the post Burton tracks too. Again this is just my personal taste, and again it doesn't mean I don't like Hendrix because he was great himself.

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:57 pm

intheghetto wrote:You know what's overhyped? Rolling Stone 'Best Of' polls. Aren't they the same publication that has done cover stories on Britney Spears and Justin Bieber? 'Nuff said.

And? Those are contemporary artists, should they still be doing Elvis covers?

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:24 pm

bquick wrote:
intheghetto wrote:You know what's overhyped? Rolling Stone 'Best Of' polls. Aren't they the same publication that has done cover stories on Britney Spears and Justin Bieber? 'Nuff said.

And? Those are contemporary artists, should they still be doing Elvis covers?


They're artists? The word 'artist' gets alot of abuse these days. Seems like anybody that has a record deal and alot of hype is an 'artist'. Maybe the word 'performer' or 'celebrity' are better labels.

So your saying that publications that devote alot of attention to what you call 'artists', who are probably better known as celebrity performers, have the authority to differentiate the accomplishments of actual legends and throw it into a trivial count down list? Um...okay.

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:36 pm

intheghetto wrote:
bquick wrote:
intheghetto wrote:You know what's overhyped? Rolling Stone 'Best Of' polls. Aren't they the same publication that has done cover stories on Britney Spears and Justin Bieber? 'Nuff said.

And? Those are contemporary artists, should they still be doing Elvis covers?


They're artists? The word 'artist' gets alot of abuse these days. Seems like anybody that has a record deal and alot of hype is an 'artist'. Maybe the word 'performer' or 'celebrity' are better labels.

So your saying that publications that devote alot of attention to what you call 'artists', who are probably better known as celebrity performers, have the authority to differentiate the accomplishments of actual legends and throw it into a trivial count down list? Um...okay.

I can't stand either. But they have both sold millions of albums, Britney has been around 10+ years for crying out loud! Bieber writes songs and plays instruments. Your attitude to the "music of today's kids" seems quite in line with how Sinatra fans felt about a certain swivel hips "performer who couldn't sing" about 55 years ago. Just saying.

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:38 pm

And p.s. their list doesn't mean it is the be all end all. I could care less where they rank anyone...and they did give Elvis a high ranking on their singers list.

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:41 pm

Mike Eder wrote:I happen to like all the Sun artists you mentioned better than Jimi, but I like Jimi a lot too. I know he was more innovative in some ways than Rick Nelson, (certainly he released far less filler) but I happen to like Rick's style a tad better and this goes for the post Burton tracks too. Again this is just my personal taste, and again it doesn't mean I don't like Hendrix because he was great himself.

I don't see how Rick Nelson is an artist that one can attempt to draw a parallel comparison to Hendrix. Nelson is a noteworthy talent for the obvious reasons, but Hendrix was on another level completely. For example, nothing Nelson ever did comes close to Little Wing. And again, nothing personal against James Burton (who obviously was influential and did some fine work over the course of his career), but he was not in the same league as Hendrix on any artistic or creative level. The Nelson/Hendrix comparison falls flat. And clearly there is nothing wrong with digging the SUN artists or Rick Nelson more than Hendrix.

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:17 pm

At the risk of redundancy, to answer the question simply, No, I don't believe Jimi Hendrix is overated. Overhyped is definitely debatable, exploited even maybe more, but not so much that it should diminish his achievements or ability. To judge him by the live recordings is not fair because no show ever really captured the complexity of his innovations in the studio, the equipment wasn't always the best and he often played to the crowd (in that if they responded to the playing behind the back or with his teeth or belt buckle then he did that).
To answer in the context of the recent "list" referred to, keep in mind that the list is called "the Greatest Guitarists" not necessarily the best, and the endeavor was to poll a blue ribbon panel of (noted) guitarists and (presumed) "experts" for their picks. I know because I was contacted by them on behalf of Scotty. Each were instructed to choose their top 25 candidates of all time, ranked in order of preference. They attached a list of potential candidates for reference but were not limited in anyway as to who they could choose. Naturally, the sampling of participants are likely to be heavily weighed by musicians still current and active and mostly inspired by, and limited to, people from the defining era of Rock, which would be '50s and later. Jimi, in this case, not surprisingly topped that list but "best", at best, is a subjective term.
There are many great players, but only few that are/were innovators. Being first counts for a lot.


PS. I'm amused at the concept of this topic on a forum that regularly seeks to justify and sing the praises of Elvis' ability as a guitarist.

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:01 am

bquick wrote:I can't stand either. But they have both sold millions of albums, Britney has been around 10+ years for crying out loud! Bieber writes songs and plays instruments. Your attitude to the "music of today's kids" seems quite in line with how Sinatra fans felt about a certain swivel hips "performer who couldn't sing" about 55 years ago. Just saying.


Let's clear something up once and for all. This very tired comparison of how previous generations looked down upon the music and culture of the younger generation and how that theory still applies to 'older' people now. It's an argument that no longer has any relevance. Why? Because when Frank Sinatra was criticizing Elvis and rock and roll it was a style and a form of music that had not previously existed. For several reasons that can be discussed here, Sinatra's generation didn't get it and didn't like it. With that said, it's safe to say that most people here on FECC grew up during a time when rock and roll, in it's various forms, existed. I'm in my mid-40s, I don't have to tell you what kind of music was around while I grew up. If you do the math, it's pretty clear. The music that is produced today is in one form or another derivative of pop and rock music that has existed since the begining. As far as Britney and Bieber are concerned, if you want to actually 'examine' their music, you can see that it owes much to dance music, some hip hop, and of course teen pop. We've all heard and seen this stuff in the past. It's nothing new and certainly nothing shocking. The people in Sinatra's generation could not claim the same point of view.

I think the criticism that comes from alot of people now is usually concerned with the fact that alot of the mediocre, gimmicky performers of today are treated with the same kind of praise that was once heaped on legends like Elvis, Hendrix, and Sinatra just to name a few. It's mediocre transparent stuff but yet you have writers and critics discussing the fine points of the music and it's relevancy to pop culture. The bar obviously lowered.

The long and the short of it is most of today's 'older people', those that grew up with everything from Elvis to Nirvana and beyond, are much more savvy, educated, and cultured and have the ability to listen to pop music with a critical ear. This whole nonsense of "you're too old to understand" died with the 'Greatest Generation'. The reason why older people don't like crappy teen pop music is because it's crappy teen pop music. Who cares if it sells millions.

Just saying.

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:16 am

If Jimi Hendrix is overrated he's not by much.

I never hear people go on about how Hendrix is the greatest thing since slice bread or anything like that.
(If they did he would definately be overrated.)

I just hear his fans say he's the greatest rock guitarist of all time and that he was hugely influential and talented.

Jimi Hendrix doesn't make my extensive list of people who are overrated.

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:29 am

intheghetto wrote:
bquick wrote:
intheghetto wrote:You know what's overhyped? Rolling Stone 'Best Of' polls. Aren't they the same publication that has done cover stories on Britney Spears and Justin Bieber? 'Nuff said.

And? Those are contemporary artists, should they still be doing Elvis covers?


They're artists? The word 'artist' gets alot of abuse these days. Seems like anybody that has a record deal and alot of hype is an 'artist'. Maybe the word 'performer' or 'celebrity' are better labels.


You are right.

I think the word artist has always been a bad term to call singers or musicians.

When people use the word artist i think of Pablo Picasso, Vincent Van Gogh, Leonardo Da Vinci etc.

Unless these singers are painters or drawers they shouldn't be called artists.

Calling them a performer, celebrity, musician or just singer is a more accurate term for them.

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:58 am

intheghetto wrote:I think the criticism that comes from alot of people now is usually concerned with the fact that alot of the mediocre, gimmicky performers of today are treated with the same kind of praise that was once heaped on legends like Elvis, Hendrix, and Sinatra just to name a few. It's mediocre transparent stuff but yet you have writers and critics discussing the fine points of the music and it's relevancy to pop culture. The bar obviously lowered.

The long and the short of it is most of today's 'older people', those that grew up with everything from Elvis to Nirvana and beyond, are much more savvy, educated, and cultured and have the ability to listen to pop music with a critical ear. This whole nonsense of "you're too old to understand" died with the 'Greatest Generation'. The reason why older people don't like crappy teen pop music is because it's crappy teen pop music. Who cares if it sells millions.

Just saying.


Agree 100%!!! A lot of the points that midnightx has come up with on this thread, I certainly agree with that too! To claim or even think that Hendrix is overrated is so foolish that I can´t find the right words to express it. Ask Clapton, Blackmore, Gilmour, Beck, Alvin Lee, Page, Townsend or anyone with a reputation what are their thoughts on Hendrix and you will perhaps understand a thing or two. Hendrix almost singelhandedly changed the sounds and possibilities of the guitar during his 3,5 years in the light. And he had a beautiful voice too! In the golden era (1966-76) quality was the aim, and you had to work hard with your ideas to make it. Now it has to do with quantity. Young, snutnosed kids are put on a stage in shows like "Idol" an s-h-i-t-e and told they are the new vine, that they sing or perfom better that the old greats (Elvis, Aretha, Sinatra, Bassey, Jones to name a few) and then they are hurried into the studio to put some vocals on some new, hip songs and then the albums or singles are rushreleased after some serious rounds with the mixing and voice machines to a public that believe all the stuff that the marketing companies tell them. People don´t seem to make up their own minds anymore...they have no critical mind...and so they will buy whatever fish is thrown to them. Massproduction, choreography and all is rushreleased because tomorrow or next week it´s old fashioned.


Sincerely MB280E

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:03 am

It remains an enduring misconception in Elvis fandom that Frank Sinatra criticised Elvis, when he done no such thing. He made no bones about disliking rock 'n' roll on the whole, whilst one can hardly have expected teenage Sinatra fans of the early/mid '40s to embrace youth orientated music of a later generation. Likewise, I'm sure Elvis's core fanbase from 1956 weren't lapping up Hendrix at Woodstock.

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:44 am

I don't know Greystoke. Some of Sinatra's comments had a personal ring even if he didn't single out Elvis individually. "Sung and performed for the most part by cretinous goons." As Elvis was the most prominent performer in the style at that time, you can see how many could include Elvis in that criticism. And while it's true part of Elvis' fan base at the time was certainly aghast at something like Woodstock, part of like Jimi Hendrix himself was leading the way.

In the ghetto, I half get your point. The fact that the media was so wrong on Elvis and wrong as well on the early Beatles has kind of paralyzed critics and many fans from making true critical judgments. However, I can't condemn Rolling Stone for covering Justin Bieber and Britney Spears because they are a magazine largely devoted to youth culture and like it or not, a lot of kids care about Britney Spears and Justin Bieber. And we never know what's really going to last. In their time, Creedence Clearwater Revival were considered merely a hits band. They were respected for their professionalism and way with a hook but nothing more. I remember reading a vintage article written in 1969 by Jon Landau, the great rock writer who later became Springsteen's manager. And in the article Landau commented about how sad it was that the "best group in rock n' roll" at the moment was a group of such modest ambition and ability as Creedence. Today we think they're about the greatest there was. At the time, there was rock and roll, and yet they still missed Creedence. Sometimes you get distracted by sidelights and other ideas of what's important.

M28OE makes a good point about today's cookie cutter stars. However, it is important to note that Bieber, and I'm not defending him as an artist, was discovered in a grass roots way. His videos of him singing his favorite tunes on You Tube became a mass sensation. Maybe it's because of his looks. I don't know. But he wasn't some factory created artist.

I do have trouble with writers etc. who list a Bieber by an Elvis or a Hendrix as some sort of equal. However, I'm reluctant to bring the hammer down either. And I do think is an important fact, while you are certainly right that today's older music audience is much more sophisticated in terms of pop musical experience than its predecessors, I don't think it's going out on a limb to say that the central aesthetic in pop music today is as far from Elvis/the Beatles/Chuck Berry/Bruce Springsteen as Elvis was from Sinatra or Bing Crosby at that time. I don't mean that the music is unrecognizable. I mean that if you're 40-45 you grew up with a certain definition of good pop music. That definition has altered considerably based upon things that have happened in your lifetime, but still different. For example a person in their 40s or 50s might recognize a lot of Whitney Houston in today's singing styles. However, when they were growing up that wasn't ground zero. Now it is. Same with hip hop. A lot of people in their 40s and 50s experienced hip hop while it was brand new, an alternative to rock n' roll and pop. However, today's audience uses hip hop as a starting point not as an alternative. This is where I think we can sometimes get a little lost because someone our age can recognize what's going on in a piece in the new tradition, it's often a little bit more of an effort for someone our age to enjoy it. I remember watching a show they used to have on VH1 called "Four on the Floor." It was kind of a rock critic's type forum. Usually, there'd be four critics every week and they would discuss with a guest anything what was happening at the moment. Anyway on one show they interviewed a young African-American woman about hip hop and its ancestors. She noted in the interview that although she liked an artist like Marvin Gaye, it was mostly an intellectual response as opposed to the more natural heartfelt pull that she heard in rap. This amazed because it was exactly how I felt but in reverse.

Listening to an artist like Elvis or the Beatles, or Sinatra or James Brown, or Prince or Michael Jackson just comes naturally to me. With a rap artist or some of the newer styles of metal etc. I have to make a little more of an effort. And I think that's true for a lot of people our age. And that's why I think it's a mistake to just flat out dismiss a lot of the younger performers because what comes naturally to you isn't what comes naturally to your kids, nephews, nieces etc. I also distrust the condemnation of the mainstream that has become sort of reflex with rock oriented fans. What were Elvis, the Beatles, Chuck Berry, Fats Domino but "hit" artists?

That all being said, a lot of what is missing from today's criticism is the critical part. It's assumed that if so and so has X sales so and so must be a giant.

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:50 am

Let's get a few things straight...1, I made it clear I am no fan of Britney/Bieber etc. 2, I never said Sinatra dissed Elvis, but more his fans did. 3, Bieber etc aren't only derivative of older pop artists, but also hip hop and its beats...so there is some connection to something other than older pop music. While I am no fan of their artistic merits, they are a generation that culls from MJ more than EP...and the "kids" today certainly find artistc merit in their music, as well as meaning in them (that I don't see, but hey, what can you do?). Elvis didn't write his own songs either...some have (incorrectly) said he isn't as pure an artist as say the Beatles for that very reason. The argument has validity to it.

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:23 am

midnightx wrote:
Mike Eder wrote:I happen to like all the Sun artists you mentioned better than Jimi, but I like Jimi a lot too. I know he was more innovative in some ways than Rick Nelson, (certainly he released far less filler) but I happen to like Rick's style a tad better and this goes for the post Burton tracks too. Again this is just my personal taste, and again it doesn't mean I don't like Hendrix because he was great himself.

I don't see how Rick Nelson is an artist that one can attempt to draw a parallel comparison to Hendrix. Nelson is a noteworthy talent for the obvious reasons, but Hendrix was on another level completely. For example, nothing Nelson ever did comes close to Little Wing. And again, nothing personal against James Burton (who obviously was influential and did some fine work over the course of his career), but he was not in the same league as Hendrix on any artistic or creative level. The Nelson/Hendrix comparison falls flat. And clearly there is nothing wrong with digging the SUN artists or Rick Nelson more than Hendrix.

Understand what you are saying. Hendrix was far more unique, but I got to admire Rick for working so hard to make great records. With his promotion and looks he didn't need to worry about the music at all, yet he did keep pushing to get good songs and work with good people. I suppose it's apples and oranges.

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:23 pm

Sinatra's "comments" about rock 'n' roll actually stem from a 1957 article about American music that he wrote for a French magazine called Western World. If one has read the original article, in comparison to what published on the back of it in the likes of the LA Times, it can be appreciated that a few alterations in Sinatra's prose was made for effect, and that has certainly lingered -- especially with regards to Elvis, as the context in which Sinatra was discussing American music at large was ignored in favour of cultivating a slant against Elvis.

Of Elvis directly - his singing in particular - Sinatra actually said in 1957, in an interview for Variety, that: "Only time will tell. They said I was a freak when I first hit, but I’m still around. Presley has no training at all. When he goes into something serious, a bigger kind of singing, we’ll find out if he is a singer. He has a natural, animalistic talent.”

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:39 am

Important, yes. Talented, yes, Groundbreaking, yes. But my personal taste runs more to B.B. King, Chuck Berry, Carl Perkins and James Burton.

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:10 am

...And Scotty Moore !!!!

Check out these
scorcher.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAkEYKd6 ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HkHwKxsb8s

Let's be honest he was fifty percent the reason for ELVIS PRESLEY -1950's ROCK N ROLL ICON on the basis of his unique guitar riffs just like these and also "Hound Dog" . Hell, Scotty Moore is 50 percent the reason why we are here at all. Jimi Hendrix as good and theatrical as he was, IMHO does not come within a bull's roar of either Scotty or James Burton's skill and variety. Good short concise geetar pickin like these are a gem to hear. If I were in Scotty's position I'd be pissed off with polls such as Rolling Stone that rank Hendrix above him. Same with James and Duane Eddy.