Off Topic Messages

Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:53 pm

Before I start, there's some wacker on another Elvis website (Yes that's it another EP website and not Hendrix , would you believe) that continually harassed me about this. So I'm taking the argument here :mrgreen:
Recently voted number 1 gutar player by Rolling Stone mag (no surprises as RS has long been biased toward JH, The Stones, The Doors and Led Zep.

Personally I have become fed up of his, what i call, elongated riffs and don't think i will be playing and listening to his boring Woodstock gig on videotape.

Yes he did great things with the guitar, and I used to personally love the man, but today I have no time for his music (other than for a few more concise studio cuts, ie his vocal and guitar work on the haunting "The Wind Cries Mary" ). It's the enlogated stuff such as "Wild Thing" that today sounds like CRAP to me.

So what do others think ? Is Hendrix overrated and overhyped ?

What follows is copy and pasted article - "Reasons why Jimi Hendrix shouldnt be #1 guitarist. not even top 50 probably."

First, to get anywhere in this argument we must define "best guitarist" or "musicianship".
Here is my definition of amazing musicianship: A musician who is technically proficient in his or her instrument in a musical way. One who varies his technical prowess. In other words, does not show off his full potential every single song or every second of the song, one who does not limit himself, one who has mastered there instrument and the art of music making, one who expresses his or her emotion through song. You get the point. Yes, most guitarists aren't technically amazing and express themselves amazingly, but is that amazing musicianship? Hell no. A musician is someone who creates or performs MUSIC. This is not showmanship we are talking about, this is musicianship. I do not give two s***s if Jimi Hendrix sways and jumps around more than John Petrucci, that has nothing to do with musicianship; that is showmanship, and are we talking about showman ship? No, we are talking about musicianship and playing the guitar. If I saw a person swaying back and forth and making "emotional" gestures with his mouth and not playing any music, I don't become emotionally attacted to it. The music is what stirs emotion, nothing more. And yes, showmanship does accompany musicianship really well adding an enhanced effect. And the negative connotation put on "shredders" is f***ing bulls***. I want you guys to search Steve Vai's "For the Love of God" on youtube and then you feed me your emotional bulls*** to me. He combines technial ability, feeling, emotion, and tells a story. In my mind that is amazing musicianship. This man has dedicated his life to music and guitar. He is a guitar player. Should Jimi Hendrix be the number 1 guitarist of all time in rolling stone? Hell no. The fact that Steve Vai, Petrucci, Gilbert, Satriani, etc are not on there is pathetic. And it is not opinion. This mean ARE better at playing guitar than Jimi Hendrix. That is a fact. And Half of them display the "showmanship" of Jimi Hendrix also. And by God Steve Vai and Satriani were just as innovative, particularly yngwie malmsteen, no one before him was shredding, and especially not with the classical style of his. Al Di Meola is a much better guitarist than hendrix too, listen to him and tell me hendrix influenced him, because there is not an ounce of hendrix influence in Di Meola. Am I saying I don't like Jimi's playing? No, he is a solid blues player who was innovative. But this is a new age, a time for new players to emmerge. Jimi Hendrix is overrated. When you ask some random person who is the best guitarist? The will most likely say Jimi Hendrix. That is completely wrong. I would understand if the question was "Who looked like he was having a good time on stage" But best guitarist" And people act like none of us "shredders" have heard Jimi's music or we don't know anything about him. Haha what a laugh. Ask your self this, have you heard full abulms of Vai?Petrucci?. Why don't you give them a chance before you spew out, "they just play fast" Give me a break. Our popular culture and media is the result of this. nothing more. Am I talking about the art in music? Am I talking about expressing yourseld through music? NO I AM TALKING ABOUT "BEST GUITARIST" GUITARIST=ONE WHO PLAYS GUITAR. HERE IS A TRANSLATION OF BEST GUITARIST. ONE WHO PLAYS GUITAR BEST, AND IS JIMI HENDRIX ONE OF THEM? NO.That is what I am sick of, Jimi Hendrix still being deemed as best guitarist. Music as a whole is an artform used to express yourself and that is all that matters, if you are "best guitarist" or not, if you are expressing yourself through music, you are a musician. Saying "Jimi Hendrix" is the best guitarist and "there is no best guitarist" ideal. All in all, artistic ability is opinion and has nothing to do with "good musicianship" But if you say someone is one of the "best guitarists" you better have some solid facts to back it up. Hendrix should not be number one on a "Best Guitarist" list.

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:51 pm

No he is not overrated or overhyped.
He was the best rock guitarist point blank.

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:24 pm

He was an incredible musician without a doubt. But I can't stand listening to him. That type of music bores me to death. That is of course a simple case of personal preference. There is no denying his talent.

As for WILD THING ... gimme the basic, somewhat amateurish Troggs version any day.

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:12 pm

I've tried getting into his music at various points in my life, via everything from studio releases, live releases and even bootlegs. His music just never connected with me in any way whatsoever.

Overrated? Well, "Best" is always going to be a matter of opinion. The best beer I've ever had is probably not going to be the best beer you've ever had. So if there are people out there who want to proclaim Jimi as "the best", I just don't really worry about it.

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:29 pm

Jimi Hendrix defined the guitar more than any other musician. No other artist played in that style before and now there is only carbon copies of him. Jimi's woodstock performance is great. But I will stay that his performance at the 1970 Atlanta Pop Festival beats it and its sad they won't release that here in America. As for the list that Rolling Stone did I disagree with it but I don't disagree with #1. Jimi is plain and simple - THE BEST.

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:50 pm

It's hard to take seriously an article littered with expletives.

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:40 pm

He is not overrated or overhyped as a guitarist, songwriter, and visionary.

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:07 pm

He is - and will always be - overrated.
There's apparently no limits as to what death can do for your career.

There's no denying that he was first - he paved the way for others - although he had some very good contemporaries, who easily could have taken his place as the guitarsaint.
Clapton and Blackmore to name two. Problem is they didn't die. Blackers to me, in particular, was technically way above Hendrix - and wrote better riffs as well.

Just because he was first doesn't mean he was/is best.

But then, polls of this kind are useless. Some like this, and some like that.
Hendrix always winds up on top anyway, as if we're bad people if we don't vote him up there.

To me, Jimi Hendrix is HIGHLY overrated.
It takes more than dying to be raved about in the manner we see.

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:50 pm

Anyone who can listen his cover of "All Along the Watchtower" and not know immediately that he is listening to one of the great talents of the rock era truly doesn't understand what has become the basic building blocks of the artform.

It's similar to hating Elvis and claiming to love rock 'n' roll. Elvis is such a force, he has so imbued so many with his power, that it's simply ridiculous to argue he's not one of the major creative forces of the 20th century.

The same must be said of Jimi Hendrix. LIke it or not, he played a huge role in defining rock music of his time and since, so it's pretty difficult to overrate him.

I'd add "Castles Made of Sand," "Crosstown Traffic," "Hey Joe," "If 6 Was 9," "Little Wing," "Machine Gun," "Red House," "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" and "The Wind Cries Mary" to the starter list to help reach that most basic of understandings.

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:17 pm

You don't have to like Jimi's music to realize what a groundbreaking and amazing guitar player he was.

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:32 pm

I've been viewing quite a number of clips of Jimi Hendrix and he is an incredibly talented guitarist and performer.

One of the greats.

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:50 pm

midnightx wrote:He is not overrated or overhyped as a guitarist, songwriter, and visionary.


Is So and has been since his tragic death in 1970.

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:01 am

Hendrix is one of the most important contemporary rock artists in the history of recorded music. Are You Experienced? is one of the pioneering albums that changed rock and roll. Hendrix, along with The Beatles, changed the way rock and roll albums were produced. Any artist that creates and produces the likes of Are You Experienced?, Axis: Bold As Love, Electric Ladyland, and Band Of Gypsys in a 3.5 year period is a genius. You can't overrate those results. One can lack the ability and intelligence to see obvious brilliance and lasting impact, but the genius of the artist cannot be denied.

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:11 am

Robt wrote:
midnightx wrote:He is not overrated or overhyped as a guitarist, songwriter, and visionary.


Is So and has been since his tragic death in 1970.


Robt,

How can you say that Hendrix was overrated?

Do some research on the 3 studio albums he did from 1967-68 with the Jimi Hendrix Experience, especially his last studio album Electric Ladyland and the work he put into it.

Hendrix was a genius.

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:26 am

I really suspect that people are mixing up Hendrix' importance and abilities here.

There's no denying that he was a groundbreaking pioneer, and thus is the most important guitarist in rock.
That's easy to agree on.
But the "best" at playing guitar ever?
Hell no.

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:27 am

Bodie wrote:
Robt wrote:
midnightx wrote:He is not overrated or overhyped as a guitarist, songwriter, and visionary.


Is So and has been since his tragic death in 1970.


Robt,

How can you say that Hendrix was overrated?

Do some research on the 3 studio albums he did from 1967-68 with the Jimi Hendrix Experience, especially his last studio album Electric Ladyland and the work he put into it.

Hendrix was a genius.


Because whenever Rolling Stone do these sort of polls it's all about Hendrix, Dylan, The Stones or Led Zeppelin. It is my opinion (again just mine) that there were/ are other guitar players who were greater talents, both before and after Jimi's era that were downgraded. Of course I have heard a lot of Hendrix music and those records(CD reissues) as highlighted by MidnightX which are absolute classics. Personally I just don't have the appreciation of his elongated stuff such as Hendrix at Woodstock anymore. I'll probably never play my video of it again.

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:55 am

I don't pay any attention to any polls and to say that Hendrix is the greatest guitarist of all time will always be debatable but he is certainly not overrated.

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:57 am

He is not overhyped or overrated, but I don't care for his stuff, nor do I ever listen to him.

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:32 am

FVH wrote:I really suspect that people are mixing up Hendrix' importance and abilities here.

There's no denying that he was a groundbreaking pioneer, and thus is the most important guitarist in rock.
That's easy to agree on.
But the "best" at playing guitar ever?
Hell no.

Define 'best'.

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:06 am

Jimi was very good, he's not overrated, but he is overhyped. I think he did some very nice things, but he isn't my overwhelming favorite of the era. Meaning to me he was part of what defined his era, yet he wasn't the only thing that made up that period.

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:35 pm

elvissessions wrote:Anyone who can listen his cover of "All Along the Watchtower" and not know immediately that he is listening to one of the great talents of the rock era truly doesn't understand what has become the basic building blocks of the artform.

It's similar to hating Elvis and claiming to love rock 'n' roll. Elvis is such a force, he has so imbued so many with his power, that it's simply ridiculous to argue he's not one of the major creative forces of the 20th century.

The same must be said of Jimi Hendrix. LIke it or not, he played a huge role in defining rock music of his time and since, so it's pretty difficult to overrate him.

I'd add "Castles Made of Sand," "Crosstown Traffic," "Hey Joe," "If 6 Was 9," "Little Wing," "Machine Gun," "Red House," "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" and "The Wind Cries Mary" to the starter list to help reach that most basic of understandings.

Outstanding!

Jimi Hendrix overrated? Ya dreamin' mate!

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:30 pm

.......................
Last edited by Juan Luis on Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:21 pm

On chance...it is hard to fathom liking rock and roll and not liking Hendrix.

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:41 pm

bquick wrote:On chance...it is hard to fathom liking rock and roll and not liking Hendrix.

But you are also dealing with a faction of fans that like things mostly associated with Elvis. They'll rank James Burton and Jerry Reed among the greatest guitarists of all time; even though neither are remotely in that class of guitarist. They'll embrace Tony Joe White (because Elvis covered one of his big tracks), listen to Johnny Cash (a fellow SUN artist), listen to Charlie Rich because Elvis was into him during the 70s, listen to Rick Nelson because of the Burton association, etc. You can often see the pattern. They also dismiss anyone else that has a huge, universal reputation not associated with Elvis because one, they have never really explored the other artist, and two, because everything is a competition with Elvis - and Elvis has to be number one.

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated and overhyped?

Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:56 pm

A talented left handed guitarist without a doubt who influenced his generation. That I can appreciate, but he means absolutely nothing to me and I never give him a second thought.