Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:28 pm

Without a Song -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzwnH9Dx ... re=related

Come Fly With Me-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFmYRWAS ... re=related

Witchcraft-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xsjON6N ... re=related

What do others think?

It would be even more interesting if someone could upload ANY PERFORMANCES from the 1974 tour...

Re: Frank Sinatra - Sydney 1961

Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:36 pm

Splendid performances from a fine series of concerts, held between November 29th and December 2nd, 1961, that represent just a handful of the shows Sinatra gave in Australia from 1955 to 1991. And, on this tour, Sinatra was on ace form, giving top-notch performances; although, for my money, his concerts there in April 1959, with Red Norvo, were not only some of the best he ever gave in the country, but are highlights of Sinatra's career as a most prolific, enduring and exceptional live act. The 1974 shows were also very good, with the infamy of the tour itself not reflected in the quality of Frank's performances, who was there for the fans, not bow to the whims and demands of the press. A fascinating episode all the same . . . Later shows, as Sinatra's career was coming to an end, were also good, with his final concert there, at Melbourne's National Tennis Arena - now the Rod Laver Arena - being a real gem of a show that capped a three date tour in 1991.

Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:48 am

Thanks. Let's hope someone that taped the televised July 16 1974 Sydney concert will upload it. You heard the bootleg CD ?

Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:43 am

I think there are two concerts from that tour in circulation: Sydney and Melbourne. The semi-legal JRR records released the former in the UK briefly about 15 years ago. The sound is good, but I have to say that Sinatra in 1974 is probably the least interesting year for me - he comes over as big-headed and the performances are very hit and miss. Compare the 74 concerts with the Jerusalem one from the following year and you will find the latter is a far better show. I think the melbourne show is only audience recording - but its tucked away on an external hard drive so cant check it right now. No chance of them going up on youtube sadly, as they will just be taken down by WB.

Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:41 am

It's so cool to play the Sinatra Sydney 1974 back to back with the Elvis Closing Night Vegas 2-9-74.

Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:33 pm

There was a boot called "December Down Under" of Sinatra's December 2, 1961 concert at Sydney Stadium. The tracklist is:

Intro by: Tommy Hanlin Jr.
I've Got The World On A String
I Concentrate On You
Night And Day
Moonlight In Vermont
In The Still Of The Night
I'll Be Seeing You
Day In, Day Out
The Moon Was Yellow
You're Nobody Till Somebody Loves You
Monologue
Come Fly With Me
April In Paris
A Foggy Day
Without A Song
Imagination
The Second Time Around
Young At Heart
Witchcraft
Embraceble You
The One I Love Belongs To Somebody Else
My Funny Valentine
My Blue Heaven
One For My Baby
The Lady Is A Tramp

Since I can't sleep I think I'll play this CD now.