Off Topic Messages

Inside The Studio: Detailing The Recording of Rick Nelson

Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:09 pm

Great 4 page article detailing the recording techniques used over 50 years ago to
capture the clean, punchy rockabilly sound of Rick Nelson.

A must read for anyone who is interested in the technical side of the business.

http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/insi ... ck_nelson/

Image

Re: Inside The Studio: Detailing The Recording of Rick Nelso

Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:07 am

Thanks for that.

Very interesting to note that all the Jordanaires material were overdubs without Ricky in the studio.

Re: Inside The Studio: Detailing The Recording of Rick Nelso

Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:27 pm

Very Interesting. I liked that. Thanks. :)

Re: Inside The Studio: Detailing The Recording of Rick Nelso

Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:06 pm

Interesting. In listening to Rick's Imperial classics, one would never know that the various layers were pieced together in the fashion described in the article. I highly recommend the "American Dream" boxset. A personal favorite is "Restless Kid", written by Johnny Cash.

Re: Inside The Studio: Detailing The Recording of Rick Nelso

Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:32 pm

TCB TED wrote:Great 4 page article detailing the recording techniques used over 50 years ago to
capture the clean, punchy rockabilly sound of Rick Nelson.

A must read for anyone who is interested in the technical side of the business.

http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/inside_the_techniques_used_to_record_rick_nelson/

Image


Although a bit technical, it's a great read regardless. Thank you for posting the link. It's interesting the author compares Elvis' April 1957 drum miking set-up at Radio Recorders to what was done at Nelson's sessions at Master Recorders.

He also highly recommends the 2001 Bear Family box set, Ricky Nelson: The American Dream. Do you have it?

Re: Inside The Studio: Detailing The Recording of Rick Nelso

Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:59 pm

Thanks!

Re: Inside The Studio: Detailing The Recording of Rick Nelso

Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:47 pm

See why artists back then didn't do track overdubs unless they needed to.Artists today i don't think would do it live in the studio without pre recording the tracks.Need to get back to the way it was done in the 50s instead of pre recording tracks first.All artists back in that era used the u47 mics.I don't think rap will stand the test of time like music recorded by EP or Rick or any artist of that era.
No one will remember Gaga,Bieber etc.50 ys from now.

Re: Inside The Studio: Detailing The Recording of Rick Nelso

Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:33 am

ritchie valens wrote:See why artists back then didn't do track overdubs unless they needed to.Artists today i don't think would do it live in the studio without pre recording the tracks.Need to get back to the way it was done in the 50s instead of pre recording tracks first.All artists back in that era used the u47 mics.I don't think rap will stand the test of time like music recorded by EP or Rick or any artist of that era.
No one will remember Gaga,Bieber etc.50 ys from now.


Thanks.

Re: Inside The Studio: Detailing The Recording of Rick Nelso

Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:33 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
TCB TED wrote:Great 4 page article detailing the recording techniques used over 50 years ago to
capture the clean, punchy rockabilly sound of Rick Nelson.

A must read for anyone who is interested in the technical side of the business.

http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/inside_the_techniques_used_to_record_rick_nelson/

Image


Although a bit technical, it's a great read regardless. Thank you for posting the link. It's interesting the author compares Elvis' April 1957 drum miking set-up at Radio Recorders to what was done at Nelson's sessions at Master Recorders.

He also highly recommends the 2001 Bear Family box set, Ricky Nelson: The American Dream. Do you have it?

That box was mastered by the late Bob Jones with Mike Brown and sounds great. Indeed highly recommended!

Re: Inside The Studio: Detailing The Recording of Rick Nelso

Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:28 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
TCB TED wrote:Great 4 page article detailing the recording techniques used over 50 years ago to
capture the clean, punchy rockabilly sound of Rick Nelson.

A must read for anyone who is interested in the technical side of the business.

http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/inside_the_techniques_used_to_record_rick_nelson/

Image


Although a bit technical, it's a great read regardless. Thank you for posting the link. It's interesting the author compares Elvis' April 1957 drum miking set-up at Radio Recorders to what was done at Nelson's sessions at Master Recorders.

He also highly recommends the 2001 Bear Family box set, Ricky Nelson: The American Dream. Do you have it?


That box was mastered by the late Bob Jones with Mike Brown and sounds great. Indeed highly recommended!


That's cool. I wonder if TCB TED has the set?