Off Topic Messages

Re: I Hates Widescreen !!!!

Tue May 17, 2011 8:18 pm

Claus wrote:Did some more research and it turns out that Jailhouse Rock isn't a real cinemascope film. It was either shot at a 1.33:1 or 2:00:1 aspect ratio and matted to 2.35:1 for theatrical release. This explains why there is more picture on the top and bottom of the frame in the colorized version than the current dvd.

The dvd/bd presents the film as shown in theaters.

Sometimes we do see a bit more at the top & bottom when viewing on TV.

Unfortunately, this can include things the director never wanted us to, like boom mics & the like !

Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:21 pm

ColinB wrote:
ColinB wrote:...One day, maybe, we'll have a TV screen that is flexible & 'adapts' to the ratio of the picture being watched !

I just thought of something.

Maybe the above isn't so far-fetched !

Remember the old days at the cinema, when, after watching the first feature, adverts, cartoons, & news on a screen apparently 4:3, the curtains would then draw further back, revealing that it was actually a huge widescreen, all ready to watch the main film on !

I am sure that will happen. I for one dislike having to flip back and forth, and really hate when people don't set the TV for the correct ratio. A squished picture is horrible. I think if something is meant to be seen in widescreen that's fantastic that we now have the option to see it right, but the black bar thing on 4:3 footage is also awful.

Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:10 pm

Have you ever thought about hitting the "Screen Format" button on your remote and go to "Zoom 1" and just fit it to screen with out any distortion to the image? :roll:

Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:16 pm

promiseland wrote:Have you ever thought about hitting the "Screen Format" button on your remote and go to "Zoom 1" and just fit it to screen with out any distortion to the image? :roll:

You'd still be missing parts of the picture.

Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:25 pm

ColinB wrote:
promiseland wrote:Have you ever thought about hitting the "Screen Format" button on your remote and go to "Zoom 1" and just fit it to screen with out any distortion to the image? :roll:

..as compared to how much would be missing if it was converted to 4:3 aspect ratio, to not have widescreen as the original poster prefers?

The zoom 1 method will zoom the image to 1.78:1 to correctly fill the HD screen on the plasma set from a black bar top and bottom 2.40:1 aspect .

Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:51 pm

promiseland wrote:
ColinB wrote:

..as compared to how much would be missing if it was converted to 4:3 aspect ratio, to not have widescreen as the original poster prefers?

The zoom 1 method will zoom the image to 1.78:1 to correctly fill the HD screen on the plasma set from a black bar top and bottom 2.40:1 aspect .

I want to see all the picture.

If this means black bars to left & right, or top & bottom, then so be it.

If the TV screen is big enough, it shouldn't spoil the viewing pleasure.

Cutting part of the picture can !

I remember in one of the Jesus films, shown full-screen on 4:3, when the drama of the re-appearance of Lazarus, at the mouth of his tomb, was somewhat diluted by the fact that he was 'off-screen' & we were left guessing what all the fuss with his relatives was !

Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:31 pm

The most annoying thing is when certain cable channels (particularly the Horror channel, I find) shows widescreen films in widescreen but with the letterbox within the 4:3 picture. So you literally land up with a little tiny picture with black bars top, bottom, left and right. TCM do this occasionally too (in the UK). very annoying. The DVD of the 1963 film House of the Damned also does the same, as does the UK DVD of the Icelandic film Eleven Men Out. Very strange and unnecessary.

Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:25 am

Hey Pete, Does the Horror channel plays any of the Hammer productions of the 1950's and 1960's. ? Especially want to mention THe Brides of Frankenstein (1960). Shame Foxtell can't set up a Horror channel here.

Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:16 am

They have been playing some of the British horrors of the 1970s of late - can't remember if they are hammers or not. Certainly not Brides of Frankenstein though.

Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:54 pm

Mitch wrote:I don't mind the Widescreen versions but I'm kind of old school and prefer the Full Screen versions.

::rocks :smt006

Same here. When I watch "TTWII - SE" on my old TV, 2/3 of the image are black bars...