Off Topic Messages

Sony Does It Again! New Doris Day boxed set

Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:11 pm

Well, Sony have gone down the weird route again.

It's nice to see them adding some new titles to their Original Album Classics series, which presents (normally) 5 albums in card sleeves in a slipcase (occasionally only 3). The new Doris Day release is her first entry in the series, and, rather strangely, they have chosen five early soundtracks for the collection - each one with just 8 tracks as they were originally 10 inch LPs, and with each CD lasting around twenty minutes!

While I realise the point of the series is that each original album is on a separate disc, surely someone at Sony could have picked five albums that were better suited to this kind of format? There are a number of 12 inch albums by Day that aren't currently available on shiny discs and some (though not all) are quite expensive to pick up used (Wonderful Day, With a Smile and Song, You'll Never Walk Alone, I Have Dreamed, Listen To-Day etc, Cuttin Capers, Bright and Shiny). There are also longer soundtrack albums that could have been used (Young Man with a Horn, Love Me Or Leave Me, Pajama Game). Don't get me wrong, this is a cute little set, but these are albums that would be much better served in a different format on CD. It seems that common sense is sometimes in short supply at Sony.

download.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Sony Does It Again! New Doris Day boxed set

Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:39 pm

There's certainly scope for a more thoughtful Doris Day release of this nature, or something similar. Especially with regards to some of the soundtracks you've mentioned, Shane. Which are very good.

Re: Sony Does It Again! New Doris Day boxed set

Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:52 am

Greystoke on Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:39 pm wrote:There's certainly scope for a more thoughtful Doris Day release of this nature, or something similar. Especially with regards to some of the soundtracks you've mentioned, Shane. Which are very good.

It certainly is a strange choice of discs - it's not even like they are the first five soundtracks, as they miss out Tea for Two, which was the first soundtrack album. I like these releases very much in general - they are cheap and save space - but some odd decisions have been made, including with the Elvis entries. Oddly, they released a volume of the Dean Martin reprise albums quite a while ago now, but didn't continue with a volume 2, despite the Reprise albums being out of print. I though they had finished releasing new volumes, but the Doris Day one is new, as is another Miles Davis entry, albeit Davis of an era I'm not interested in. It's worth adding that the slipcases of got considerably more flimsy than they used to be for the series. The ones I have for Willie Nelson, The Monkees and The Loving Spoonful are quite sturdy. The new ones are very thin.