Off Topic Messages

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
eapjs

Elizabeth Taylor R.I.P.

Post by eapjs »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12833100

Screen icon Elizabeth Taylor dies
Dame Elizabeth had heart surgery in 2009 Dame Elizabeth Taylor, one of the 20th Century's biggest movie stars, has died in Los Angeles at the age of 79.

The double Oscar-winning actress had a long history of ill health and was being treated for symptoms of congestive heart failure.

Dame Elizabeth's most famous films included National Velvet, Cleopatra and Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

She was equally well-known for her glamour and film partnership with Richard Burton, one of seven husbands.

In her prime, she was arguably one of the world's greatest actresses and most beautiful women.

Her colourful private life, screen success and Aids charity work ensured she was never far from the spotlight since finding fame at the age of 12.

The peak of her film career came in the 1950s and 1960s, with four Oscar nominations in a row from 1958 to 1961.

She lost out in her first three attempts - for Raintree County, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof and Suddenly, Last Summer - but triumphed at her fourth attempt with Butterfield 8.

Her second Oscar came in 1967 for Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, one of 12 films with Burton.

She met the actor while filming 1963's Cleopatra - which became notorious as one of the most expensive films of all time, but which also sparked one of Hollywood's greatest romances.

Health problems

Taylor had already been married four times - to Conrad Hilton, Michael Wilding, Michael Todd and Eddie Fisher - before she wed Burton in 1964.

Their tempestuous relationship saw them divorce and remarry in 1975 before she moved on to further marriages with John W Warner and Larry Fortensky.

Her health problems began with a fall while filming her first hit film, National Velvet, which led to a lifetime of back problems.

A rare strain of pneumonia almost killed her in 1961 and she also battled addictions to alcohol and painkillers.

In the 1990s, she endured two hip replacement operations and another near-fatal bout of pneumonia and survived surgery for a benign brain tumour in 1997.

In 2004, it was revealed that she was suffering from congestive heart failure, with symptoms including fatigue and shortness of breath, and scoliosis, which twisted her spine.

But she continued to campaign for her Aids charity, which she set up in 1991 after the death of her friend and co-star Rock Hudson.

Topic author
Delboy

Re: Elizabeth Taylor R.I.P.

Post by Delboy »

A true film legend. R.I.P.

thefunkyangel

Post by thefunkyangel »

RIP Liz!

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Very Sad to hear that she has passed away. Loved her roles in such films as "A Place in the Sun", "Cat on a hot tin roof", "Virginia Woolf" and "Suddenly last Summer".

Bodie

Post by Bodie »

Very sad to hear, she was so beautiful back in her day.

R.I.P. Liz

EPA4368

Post by EPA4368 »

R.I.P. Liz

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man

Post by Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man »

Best looking actress of all time.

Take a bow ma'am.

TELL IT LIKE IT IS, SON!!! Excusez-moi monsieur ?
Image Image

TCB-FAN

Post by TCB-FAN »

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:Best looking actress of all time.

Take a bow ma'am.

I would say she's right up there with Ann Margret.....yes...a godess indeed....beautiful beyond description.
R.I.P. Liz

"If The Songs Don't Go Over With The Crowd, We Can Always Do A Medley Of Costumes."

Elvis A. Presley, 1970

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

RIP Elizabeth Taylor... a true legend of the cinema... and hot as hell in her younger years...

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man

Post by Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man »

elvis-fan wrote:RIP Elizabeth Taylor... a true legend of the cinema... and hot as hell in her younger years...

Jesus! Wouldn't you just!!!???

TELL IT LIKE IT IS, SON!!! Excusez-moi monsieur ?
Image Image

sylvain

Post by sylvain »

RIP

Little Darlin
Location: Being Entertained By Grammy Nominated Artist Adam Lambert.

Post by Little Darlin »

R.I.P Dame Elizabeth. Hope you'll be reunited with your true love Richard.

I saw Elvis live in concert the year before he died. Even then, he was bigger than life, and had amazing charisma. Haven't seen anything like it since, ....until Adam.........Nocturnal 2010
No matter how old you are, no matter who you sleep with, no matter what color your skin is, we can all party together.” - Adam Lambert 2010

tcb4

Post by tcb4 »

R.I.P Dame Elizabeth

likethebike

Post by likethebike »

I say this with all sincerity, what will we do without her? She was such an icon of our times. Whatever was going on in the past 60 odd years there always seemed to be something going on with Elizabeth Taylor whether it was one of her movies, the continual scares about her health, one of her causes, or one of her scandals. It was like a backdrop of our times, a reflection of them and at her best an inspiration in them. In the latter I speak not just of her passionate advocacy of AIDS awareness and activism, but also in those moments in her movies when she seemed almost too good to actually exist, that made us feel as if we were in the presence of some kind of divine royalty just seconds after a moment in her performance or after reading some of embarrassing scandal in her personal life had just underlined her humanity.

She was a good actress who gave us a series of memorable performances, among them A Place in the Sun, Butterfield 8 (an actually underrated Oscar winner, the agonized and sensuous Kathy in Suddenly Last Summer, her wonderfully trashy Leonora in Reflections in Golden Eye which took her tabloid reputation as a man-stealing vixen to its furthest, funniest, darkest and sexiest extreme, and of course her mannered but funny and ultimately moving turn as Martha in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf. However, there was and are a lot of better actresses in Hollywood history from Stanwyck to Streep. What she had was actually something more special. It was the combination of that almost unearthly beauty, her talent, her presence, her sexuality, that almost supernal sense of self, and her underlying humanity that made her the true definition of a movie star, a figure who stands out from and above the fray. She may have been the last great movie star, It was a privilege to share part on era with her.

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

R.I.P. Elizabeth Taylor

Was there ever a woman more beautiful ?

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

TONY

Post by TONY »

She's gone for a burton!

Marko

Post by Marko »

The last great movie star. Very talented, very beautiful and very charismatic lady. RIP

"I've learned very early in life, without a song, the day would never end. Without a song, a man ain't got a friend. Without a song, the road would never bend, without a song. So I'll keep on singing the song."

houndog

Post by houndog »

i love her in Giant with James Dean, Rock Hudson and Dennis Hopper all sadly gone but there memories will stay forever

R.I.P.

HOUNDOG

you aint nuthin butta.......

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

RIP. A true Hollywood legend if ever there was one.

Topic author
greystoke

Post by greystoke »

Sad news, indeed - Elizabeth Taylor was a true cinematic great, a Hollywood legend and a fine actress. I am a fan of many of her films and have always enjoyed watching her on screen. With Jane Russell recently passing away, too, that's two of Hollywood's most beautiful leading ladies of their era gone. And there are so few greats still living who were around during Hollywood's Golden Era and glory years of the '50s and '60s . . . Kirk Douglas, Ernie Borgnine, Joan Fontaine, Olivia de Havilland, Doris Day, Kim Novak and Angela Landsbury are still with us in 2011 and I wish them well!

colonel snow

Post by colonel snow »

sylvain wrote:RIP

this a fake photo

colonel snow
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.