Off Topic Messages

New 2 CD SET--RICK NELSON

Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:19 am

Pick It Up.
DSCN0693.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: New 2 CD SET--RICK NELSON

Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:19 am

Rick
DSCN0683.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:52 pm

It is a nice expanded edition of the Troubadour release, which has been out of print for quite some time.

Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:08 am

That one's been on my want list since I heard of its release. Will surely pick it up next month.

Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:54 am

I looked for it at the only worthwhile cd stores in Seattle, didn't see it. I like to support the local businesses, but for this one I guess I'll just have to order from amazon.

Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:33 am

Nice. Thanks for the info. Have been looking for the original album for some time.

Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:24 am

Thanks for the heads up on this one Barry! ::rocks
I wore out my album edition of Troubador amd was waiting for this expanded version to come out...good stuff from Rick and the S.C.Band in L.A.

Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:13 pm

Great release!
How much stuff here was not included in the Bear Family boxed set?

Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:10 pm

I seen that on Amazon a couple weeks ago and plan on buying a copy of this cd for sure.
Rick is my favorite artist after Elvis.

Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:12 pm

SuspiciousMinds wrote:I seen that on Amazon a couple weeks ago and plan on buying a copy of this cd for sure.
Rick is my favorite artist after Elvis.

+ 1

Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:35 am

Here's the Goldmine review, by Kent McCombs.

"Culled from Rick Nelson’s 1969 Troubadour sessions, these songs were recorded live and selected tracks were released on the Decca gatefold LP 75162 early the following year. Rick and his Stone Canyon Band had worked up about 24 songs for the concert event and Decca recorded each of the sets (up to three performances a night during the week long engagement) which provided Rick a good sampling for his successful LP Rick Nelson In Concert. And obviously, left many songs in the Decca vaults yet to be discovered and enjoyed once again.
Fortunately for us, Ace Records has done just that, and sometime in early February 2011 will release a deluxe 2-CD edition with unique artwork, pictures and liner notes included.
CD 1 begins with the re-mastering of the original 1970 12-track LP in original format. From there, Ace Records has included newly heard variations of these same songs as well as some of the remaining tracks that Rick had prepared for the event, such as “Travelin’ Man,” “Tonight I’ll Be Staying Here With You,” “Lady Came From Baltimore” and “Poor Little Fool.”
CD 2 picks up where CD 1 leaves off — with two more newly heard sets. Unique introduction by Doug Weston, original owner and founder of the Troubadour, followed by Rick’s varied arrangements of his selected musical repertoire including “My Bucket’s Got A Hole In It,” “I Think It’s Going To Rain Today” and “It’s Late.”
R
ick’s playful banter between songs on this second CD is a pleasant surprise and sheer delight to the spirit — a must for his present fans and music lovers everywhere.
And we’ve not heard the last from Ricky’s extensive catalog, as there is still much yet to be released. We’ll leave that task to Ace Records’ crackerjack sleuthing skills and ability to release some of the finest music ever presented."

Read more: 50s Rock | Goldmine Magazine http://www.goldminemag.com/tag/50s-rock#ixzz1FfmjF3eK

Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:56 am

I bought this on Thursday from the HMV in Oxford Street (thanks TCB Ted for turning me onto Rick Nelson!), but when I got home realised some bugger had made it off with disc two!

Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:46 am

londonflash wrote:I bought this on Thursday from the HMV in Oxford Street (thanks TCB Ted for turning me onto Rick Nelson!), but when I got home realised some bugger had made it off with disc two!

Was your copy not sealed?

Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:12 pm

midnightx wrote:
londonflash wrote:I bought this on Thursday from the HMV in Oxford Street (thanks TCB Ted for turning me onto Rick Nelson!), but when I got home realised some bugger had made it off with disc two!

Was your copy not sealed?

I'm pretty sure it was I remember the Dylan CD I bought was in plastic because I had to peel off the sticker to put on the front itself. They're happy to exchange, as long as I keep the receipt and return it within 28 days, so I'll have the whole thing next week.

Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:52 pm

Got this last week. Great release! (as expected from Ace) Rick's version of «I Shall Be Release» (we get to hear three versions) is worth the price on its own.

Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:34 pm

Yes, very nice, and makes me wonder what else has been hiding in the vaults all these years. I thought Bear had scraped those vaults clean, but obviously not!

Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:30 pm

I'm gonna get this some day.