Off Topic Messages

Why "Loving You" dvd so rare and expensive?

Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:34 am

Does anyone know why "Loving You" on DVD is so rare and expensive? I can't find many, regardless of where I look(Amazon, E-Bay, etc) and the ones there are $40-$50. There are some "Four-Packs" of other movies as low as $10.

Re: Why "Loving You" dvd so rare and expensive?

Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:37 am

showfan wrote:Does anyone know why "Loving You" on DVD is so rare and expensive? I can't find many, regardless of where I look(Amazon, E-Bay, etc) and the ones there are $40-$50. There are some "Four-Packs" of other movies as low as $10.

Maybe because it's out of print.

Re: Why "Loving You" dvd so rare and expensive?

Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:42 am

I'm not certain if this is a deleted title, but the price on Amazon.com via marketplace sellers is indicative of those who chance their luck on someone so eager to purchase this release (and others, besides) that they'll pay an exorbitant amount. Amazon.co.uk has Loving You on DVD for little more than £1.00. I haven't checked eBay, but surely it can be found for much less on there, too.

Re: Why "Loving You" dvd so rare and expensive?

Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:52 am

greystoke wrote:I'm not certain if this is a deleted title, but the price on Amazon.com via marketplace sellers is indicative of those who chance their luck on someone so eager to purchase this release (and others, besides) that they'll pay an exorbitant amount. Amazon.co.uk has Loving You on DVD for little more than £1.00. I haven't checked eBay, but surely it can be found for much less on there, too.


Thanks! I hadn't even thought of Amazon.uk. I see they have some much better prices!

Re: Why "Loving You" dvd so rare and expensive?

Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:59 am

showfan wrote:
greystoke wrote:I'm not certain if this is a deleted title, but the price on Amazon.com via marketplace sellers is indicative of those who chance their luck on someone so eager to purchase this release (and others, besides) that they'll pay an exorbitant amount. Amazon.co.uk has Loving You on DVD for little more than £1.00. I haven't checked eBay, but surely it can be found for much less on there, too.


Thanks! I hadn't even thought of Amazon.uk. I see they have some much better prices!


make sure you have a multiregion dvd player though if you're in the states!

Re: Why "Loving You" dvd so rare and expensive?

Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:13 am

I found one for you, showfan ...
$22.69 with free shipping and 10% back if you order today.
>> http://www.buy.com/prod/elvis-loving-you/40215610.html

Re: Why "Loving You" dvd so rare and expensive?

Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:33 am

Loving You has an unique owner....NBC... who bought the rights for restoration and screening many years ago.

NBC is not in the DVD business and have set the price too high for others to take up the rights

Re: Why "Loving You" dvd so rare and expensive?

Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:02 am

I'm pretty sure I got this movie free from a Daily Mail giveaway that the family forwarded to me.

Re: Why "Loving You" dvd so rare and expensive?

Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:03 am

Matthew wrote:I'm pretty sure I got this movie free from a Daily Mail giveaway that the family forwarded to me.


My copy is the same.

Re: Why "Loving You" dvd so rare and expensive?

Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:04 am

It's now owned by NBC Universal.

Re: Why "Loving You" dvd so rare and expensive?

Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:17 am

that's the only one I don't have of his movies on dvd,., :(

Re: Why "Loving You" dvd so rare and expensive?

Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:32 am

Greystoke is right. Very often on Amazon, because it's a worldwide brand name market, people take a flyer and just and try and see what they can get for an out of print item. I was looking a few years ago for a book on the Wild, Wild West TV show and the guy was charging $200 what you would pay for a first edition classic, not a little history of a TV show. I don't know who would fork the money for something like that, an item that you just want to read not mount on your wall.
Last edited by likethebike on Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Why "Loving You" dvd so rare and expensive?

Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:21 am

It is rare but the DVD is an excellent transfer well worth seeing.

Re: Why "Loving You" dvd so rare and expensive?

Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:36 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
Matthew wrote:I'm pretty sure I got this movie free from a Daily Mail giveaway that the family forwarded to me.


My copy is the same.


mine too

Re: Why "Loving You" dvd so rare and expensive?

Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:12 pm

It's easy to find it here in Chile, but only in fullscreen.

Re: Why "Loving You" dvd so rare and expensive?

Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:32 am

I found it a year or two ago on eBay for around $20 or less. I know it was out of print then as it is now, but it didn't seem too hard to find. Has it become even harder to get a hold of?

Whatever the case may be that thing is definitely due for a nice Blu-Ray release. IMO it's the best of Elvis' pre-army films. Very colorful as well.

Re: Why "Loving You" dvd so rare and expensive?

Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:44 am

I used to see all the Elvis movies regularly at JB Hi Fi and KMart in Australia for sale from $5 - $10, they are regularly on during Christmas too, here it is for $7:

http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/dvd/dvd- ... ley/229379

Don't know whether they necessarily have it always in stock though.

Re: Why "Loving You" dvd so rare and expensive?

Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:19 am

Why is this in the "Off Topic" section? :|

Re: Why "Loving You" dvd so rare and expensive?

Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:41 am

I seem to recall back in August, 2002, NBC screened "Loving You" on network television. Later that fall, NBC aired the television special "Elvis Lives" to promote "ELV1S 30 #1 Hits." When they aired it, they ran a commercial for www.shopnbc.com and that website sold copies of the "Loving You" DVD along with a copy of "ELV1S 30 #1 Hits." I seriously doubt they still carry "Loving You," but it probably wouldn't hurt to call them up and ask or contact them via their website / e-mail.

Daryl

Re: Why "Loving You" dvd so rare and expensive?

Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:32 pm

ECC83 wrote:I used to see all the Elvis movies regularly at JB Hi Fi and KMart in Australia for sale from $5 - $10, they are regularly on during Christmas too, here it is for $7:
http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/dvd/dvd- ... ley/229379
Don't know whether they necessarily have it always in stock though.

Great price, but I wonder what the shipping cost from Australia to the U.S. is and if it's a Region 1 disc?

Re: Why "Loving You" dvd so rare and expensive?

Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:12 pm

Try getting the 16:9 anamorphic version of the movie....its much better than the standard 4:3 version.
Mine is a german copy with english audio track.

Re: Why "Loving You" dvd so rare and expensive?

Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:41 am

While I certainly do not recommend such actions...the last official U.S. release that included guest interviews with Martin Sheen among others had no copy guard protection whatsoever. So if you can find someone with the DVD...oh, never mind.