Off Topic Messages

Napoleon Complex/Short Man Syndrome

Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:05 am

(from Wikipaedia):

Napoleon complex is an informal term describing an alleged type of inferiority complex which is said to affect some people, especially men, who are short in stature. The term is also used more generally to describe people who are driven by a perceived handicap to overcompensate in other aspects of their lives. Other names for the term include Napoleon syndrome[1] and Short Man syndrome.[2] It does not appear in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM)[3]

The Napoleon complex is named after French Emperor Napoleon Bonaparte. The conventional wisdom is that Napoleon compensated for his short height by seeking power, war and conquest. However, Napoleon was actually of average height for his time period and misconceptions may have been due to an incorrect conversion of his height. Historians have now suggested Napoleon was 5'6" (1.68 m) tall.[4] Napoleon was often seen with his Imperial Guard, which contributed to the perception of him being short because the Imperial Guards were above average height. In psychology, the Napoleon complex is regarded as a derogatory social stereotype.[5]

Short man syndrome:
(from urban dictionary)

An angry male of below average height who feels it necessary to act out in an attempt to gain respect and recognition from others and compensate for his abnormally short stature.

So, what do you reckon - do these syndromes exist? Are they widespread?

There seem to be some cases which would indicate they do exist, although I don't say that as a blanket statement (one of my best friends is a foot shorter than me and has no hangs-ups about his height).

I have an unfortunate example in my extended family of a man of short stature who brags to an embarrassing extent, is obsessed with being a high achiever and always has to have the final say on things. He brags about being highly intelligent, and technically he is, but he is one of the most stupid people I've ever met because of the self-important things he says and his put downs of anyone he perceives to be beneath his level of excellence.

By the way, no problem here, I'm over six foot in the old scale!

Re: Napoleon Complex/Short Man Syndrome

Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:31 am

There's perhaps some truth in it with certain individuals, as some will react more than others to things they feel insecure about, whether that be height, weight, intelligence or whatever. I don't think it's fair to automatically assume that a feisty/overconfident/egomaniacal short guy is only like that because of his height though. There's plenty of tall guys exhibiting the same personality traits after all.

Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:22 pm

Did charlie Hodge suffer with it? He insisted he put btogether the TCB band, he arranged songs such as How Great thou Art, he was the stage director etc. And of course, he was only three feet high.

Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:53 pm

THIS IS NOTHING BUT DAMNABLE LIES AND B.S.! ANYBODY WHO BELIEVES THIS CAN GO TO HELL!

Did I mention I'm 5'6"?

Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:14 pm

:D Short-Arse !

Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:45 am

Does this explain Charlie Hodge.

Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:09 am

Short people who are said to have a "napoleon complex" are generally people who have some authority and act no different than anyone else in the same position but because they are short it's a way for people to try and keep them down usually born out of unfair resentment that they are in a position above them.

norrie

and yes,i'm a short arse!

Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:27 am

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:Did charlie Hodge suffer with it? He insisted he put btogether the TCB band, he arranged songs such as How Great thou Art, he was the stage director etc. And of course, he was only three feet high.

And if he did embellish a little, there's no reason to believe it had anything to do with his height. Most people in the Elvis world are known to stray from the truth to some degree.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:48 am

Hey, it's not easy being 6' 2'' either. ;-)

Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:24 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Hey, it's not easy being 6' 2'' either. ;-)

It's all starting to add up Doc:

- San Francisco
- 6' 2 "
A little more info and I'll find you..., and be coming to meet ya!
:lol:

Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:56 pm

It's simply that some short people try harder...

Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:00 am

promiseland wrote:

It's all starting to add up Doc:

- San Francisco
- 6' 2 "
A little more info and I'll find you..., and be coming to meet ya!
:lol:

Whooo!

Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:42 am

I couldn't agree more ... and I'm the short one in my family.

Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:54 am

Well...I understand being a short man can cause personal troubles.....but as can being a tall girl(I am)......It`s not easy to be human if you are not as you are supposed to be, but who put the norm?......we all do...right?
We can`t do anything about the way god made us, so just try to make the best of it all........If you win...that`s good for you, if not......you just have to deal with it.....welcome to that`s life.

Some are too tall, some are too short....some are pretty, some are not....some are too fat, some are too skinny .....you can go on, but ind the end.....what does it all matter as long as you are human, loving and caring ......(And loves Elvis music.....all that matters :lol: )

Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:58 pm

Just two more lousy inches, and I'd have saved a lot of money on hems.

5'3". Female. (Those great J. Peterman slacks cost enough as it is!)

rjm

Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:15 pm

Im a short arse and im fine !!!

Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:14 am

No problem here....6'6' !! :D

Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:27 pm

They don't make diamonds as big as bricks....