Off Topic Messages

Re: Interesting encounters with Elvis LP finds this weekend

Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:21 am

A record dealer friend of mine said that interest in vinyl LPs is waning rapidly....especially Elvis records as they are just so plentiful. He said that not a week goes by that he doesn't have at least 10 folks in his shop wanting to sell their ordinary, everyday EP records for ridiculously high amounts.
His favorite of late was the guy that wanted $15,000 for his incredibly rare and one of a kind record that was mistakenly printed on the wrong color vinyl. He even had a handwritten and signed COA from an "RCA Exec" to prove it. The record was, you guessed it, the blue version of Moody Blue. The guy said he had seen these selling for "well over $10,000 on ebay" and would just sell it there. Good luck!

T

Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:41 am

Tom in North Carolina wrote:A record dealer friend of mine said that interest in vinyl LPs is waning rapidly....especially Elvis records as they are just so plentiful. He said that not a week goes by that he doesn't have at least 10 folks in his shop wanting to sell their ordinary, everyday EP records for ridiculously high amounts.
His favorite of late was the guy that wanted $15,000 for his incredibly rare and one of a kind record that was mistakenly printed on the wrong color vinyl. He even had a handwritten and signed COA from an "RCA Exec" to prove it. The record was, you guessed it, the blue version of Moody Blue. The guy said he had seen these selling for "well over $10,000 on ebay" and would just sell it there. Good luck!

T

I have always heard the printed a few on black Vinyl(Moody blue lp) and that is the one worth more $$$ but only a couple of hundred not thousands

SNG ::rocks

Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:26 am

Yes that is true about Moody Blue on black vinyl, I bought one at a record show last year but I would say the vinyl is in fair condition and the cover and inserts are near perfect. If anyone ever comes across a copy beware that in the late 80's they printed it again on black vinyl but the number on the cover and record are different than the 1977 release and really shouldn't cost very much.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:07 am

isn't that '80's black vinyl of Moody Blue even rarer than the '77 one? I have the '80's one and an "Elvis expert/collector" told me is was worth more because fewer of the '80's pressings sold.Mine has the AQL prefix followed by the catalog number and is still in the shrink wrap, opened but never played. I bought it in 1981 if memory serves me right.