Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Question on Elvis 1953 Sun acetates

Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:54 pm

Hello Everybody...

Has it been established what month in 1953 that the very first single was recorded ?

If it was for his mama's birthday then it would be sometime in April 1953. But I read it may have been July.

Also we know , Elvis re-recorded "Heartaches Begin " for RCA four years later. I would like to know why he chose not to re- do "My Happiness", "I'll Never Stand in your way" or "Without You".

Anyone has a theory on this ?

Re: Question on Elvis 1953 Sun acetates

Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:35 pm

Robt wrote:Hello Everybody...

Has it been established what month in 1953 that the very first single was recorded ?

If it was for his mama's birthday then it would be sometime in April 1953. But I read it may have been July.

Also we know , Elvis re-recorded "Heartaches Begin " for RCA four years later. I would like to know why he chose not to re- do "My Happiness", "I'll Never Stand in your way" or "Without You".

The accepted date for My Happiness seems to be 'July 1953' !

He mentions at the Million Dollar Quartet session that he thinks the song That's When Your Heartaches Begin had potential, so maybe that's why he did it again on RCA.........

Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:03 am

Robt wrote:Has it been established what month in 1953 that the very first single was recorded ?

It was not a single. It was a two-sided, take-home acetate.

Saturday, July 18, 1953, about six weeks after Elvis graduated from Humes High, is the conventional wisdom for the day he walked into 706 Union.

Robt wrote:Also we know , Elvis re-recorded "Heartaches Begin " for RCA four years later. I would like to know why he chose not to re- do "My Happiness", "I'll Never Stand in your way" or "Without You".

The song was professionally recorded almost exactly three and a half years later, on Sunday, January 13, 1957, in West Hollywood.

There is no mystery about his decision. The other selections did not have the commercial potential Elvis correctly saw in "That's When Your Heartaches Begin."

Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:10 am

Well he was quite wrong about the commercial potential of That's When Your Heartaches Begin.

A real downer on the back of All Shook Up at the time.

Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:10 am

KiwiAlan wrote:Well he was quite wrong about the commercial potential of That's When Your Heartaches Begin.

Not according to those who bought the single in the millions, took it to #1 and kept it on the charts for 22 weeks.

It was Elvis' first released ballad with narrative, and his delivery is magnicicent.

There's no doubt it received a ton of airplay as the B-side of such a massive hit.

Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:41 am

LOL, "Heartaches Begin" should have been released as a single first before ASU.

I Love it !!!

Now My Friends, Who was the original artists of "Heartaches Begin", "My Happiness", "It Wouldn't Be The Same Without You" and can these be downloaded anywhere ?
Last edited by Robt on Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:07 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
KiwiAlan wrote:Well he was quite wrong about the commercial potential of That's When Your Heartaches Begin.

Not according to those who bought the single in the millions, took it to #1 and kept it on the charts for 22 weeks.

I reckon the 'A' side had a lot to do with that...............

Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:17 pm

yaaaahhhh I found one !!!!

Here now is "Heartaches Begin" by an outfit called the "Ink Spots" ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NA332r73As

What do others think of the original?
Last edited by Robt on Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:20 pm

I am going to look for the other three. Be cool to hear them back to back !
Last edited by Robt on Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:22 pm

Hey I'm on a roll here.

Another utube search and I found the original "I'll never stand in your way" by Joni James...

She sounds sweet, lol....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyTgoqos ... 1&index=30

Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:25 pm

Robt wrote:yaaaahhhh I found one !!!!
Here now is "Heartaches Begin" by an outfit called the "Ink Spots" ....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NA332r73As
I am going to look for the other three.
Be cool to hear them back to back !

Well spotted !

Recorded on 23rd December, 1940, the Ink Spots version was actually a cover of the original, recorded on 3rd June, 1937:

That's When Your Heartaches Begin.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:32 pm

Oh I see and Thanks . So did EP based his version on the "Ink Spots" ?

You know what will be fun to do ? ! ? As EP Sun years records were mostly covers of other artists he grew up listening to. It would be nice to download 'em from utube, convert to mp3's and transfer onto CD or cassette, in the same chronological sequence that EP recorded these at Sun records. Hopefully there's more of these on utube....

Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:25 pm

July 18th is the date - as that was the only date in July Sam Phillips went to a DJ convention in Nashville and therefore wasn't in attendance

Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:24 am

ColinB wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

I reckon that's what the "#1" reference in my post is all about...............

Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:56 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ColinB wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
I reckon that's what the "#1" reference in my post is all about...............

Well then, KiwiAlan is right about the lack of commercial potential of the 'B' side, isn't he ?

It was All Shook Up that went to No.1 & lasted 22 weeks in the chart..........................

Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:51 am

ColinB wrote:Well then, KiwiAlan is right about the lack of commercial potential of the 'B' side, isn't he ?

No. You are confused. The B-side does not get pushed by the record companies. It is the A-side which receives the promotion, in the hope of great success at radio and retail. "That's When Your Heartaches Begin" was not issued as an A-side

The song in question had enough potential to reach the charts on its own, and certainly sold a significant amount for a B-side. It likely got plenty of spins as a jukebox favorite as well.

And for those who hear the live version from Vancouver in 1957, when Elvis breaks into the opening verse, the crowd goes bananas. That sounds pretty commercial to my ears.

Hope this helps !

Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:53 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ColinB wrote:Well then, KiwiAlan is right about the lack of commercial potential of the 'B' side, isn't he ?

No.
You are confused.
The B-side does not get pushed by the record companies.
It is the A-side which receives the promotion, in the hope of great success at radio and retail.
"That's When Your Heartaches Begin" was not issued as an A-side
The song in question had enough potential to reach the charts on its own, and certainly sold a significant amount for a B-side.
It likely got plenty of spins as a jukebox favorite as well.
And for those who hear the live version from Vancouver in 1957, when Elvis breaks into the opening verse, the crowd goes bananas.
That sounds pretty commercial to my ears.
Hope this helps !

Not much, you're just stating the obvious.

Yes, the 'B' side made the charts on its own.

It stormed up to No.58 !

How it would have fared if promoted as the 'A' side, we'll never know.................

Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:16 pm

ColinB wrote:[

It stormed up to No.58 !

How it would have fared if promoted as the 'A' side, we'll never know.................

"Heartaches begin", "Old Shep" and "Lonesome cowboy" are the 3 WORST 50's Elvis songs, IMO.

Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:52 pm

TONY wrote:

It stormed up to No.58 !

"Heartaches begin", "Old Shep" and "Lonesome cowboy" are the 3 WORST 50's Elvis songs, IMO.

Old Shep is a classic and heartaches is dated but very well performed.

Lonesome Cowboy is pretty naff, as are How Do You Think I Feel, Playing For Keeps, My Wish Came True and Your A Heartbreaker (which is my least favourite SUN side). Other than that, the 50s recorded output is incredibly solid.

Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:03 pm

I love Lonesome Cowboy. And You're A Heartbreaker. Not a fan of Heartaches, How Do You Think I Feel or Playing For Keeps, but those are better than Let Me and Poor Boy.

Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:36 pm

ColinB wrote:Not much, you're just stating the obvious.

Anything to help you out, old chap !

Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:37 pm

I wonder why this in the off-topic section?

Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:19 am

"According to the 'Memphis Recording Service Volume 1' the date of this demo session is August 22 1953, whereas the 'Legacy' release 'Elvis 75 - Good Rockin' Tonight' lists the date as being July 18 1953."
Source: You know, K.F.

midnightx wrote:I wonder why this in the off-topic section?

Yeah

Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:52 pm

JimmyCool wrote:"According to the 'Memphis Recording Service Volume 1' the date of this demo session is August 22 1953, whereas the 'Legacy' release 'Elvis 75 - Good Rockin' Tonight' lists the date as being July 18 1953."

You need to find better sources.

As it is, I already answered the question on page 1 of this topic.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:24 am

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:
TONY wrote:

It stormed up to No.58 !

Old Shep is a classic and heartaches is dated but very well performed.

Lonesome Cowboy is pretty naff, as are How Do You Think I Feel, Playing For Keeps, My Wish Came True and Your A Heartbreaker (which is my least favourite SUN side). Other than that, the 50s recorded output is incredibly solid.

"True Love" isn't so hot either.