Off Topic Messages

Elvis impersonators

Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:52 pm

I have always hated these guys for all of the obvious reasons. In the last few weeks I have watched some videos from last years Memphis Ultimate Contest and observed that some of these guys are amazingly talented. So much so that it is unfortunate that they don't have careers as themselves. I watched Elvis Week and Ben Portsmouth performing American Trilogy blew me away! Cody Slaughter is wonderful as part of Million Dollar Quartet. I can't help but think that these guys are good for Elvis' image. Thoughts?

Re: Elvis impersonators

Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:06 pm

There are a few that do a respectable tribute to Elvis like Cody Slaughter.

But there are some, like Shawn Klush, who are completely mad.

The vast majority of them, only do 'tribute' acts cause they like the attention they get dressing up in a tacky homemade jumpsuit, knowing fall well that no matter how bad their vocals are they will always get an audience to watch them, mainly middle-aged women who think that they are great.

If a person wants to do an Elvis tribute then they should do it just on the music, there is no need to try and look like Elvis.

Sad thing is that a lot of people who go and see 'tribute' acts like the acts to dress up in jumpsuits.

Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:36 am

There are so many threads about this subject. Take a look. There are many answers. :smt006

Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:37 pm

Elvis impersonators = smt172

Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:07 pm

I'm new to this forum and I don't know where to look for the threads you mentioned.

Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:31 pm

Why settle for an impersonator when there is the real thing to enjoy on record/CD and movies and TV-shows?

Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:09 pm

Ben Portsmouth singing "An American Trilogy" gives me headache.....not good.

Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:42 pm

LAURAW wrote:I'm new to this forum and I don't know where to look for the threads you mentioned.

No need to look in the All-Elvis section.

Try Off-Topic.

You won't find many positive comments. :lol:

Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:45 pm

LAURAW wrote:I have always hated these guys for all of the obvious reasons. In the last few weeks I have watched some videos from last years Memphis Ultimate Contest and observed that some of these guys are amazingly talented. So much so that it is unfortunate that they don't have careers as themselves. I watched Elvis Week and Ben Portsmouth performing American Trilogy blew me away! Cody Slaughter is wonderful as part of Million Dollar Quartet. I can't help but think that these guys are good for Elvis' image. Thoughts?

If they:

(1) Were few in number
(2) Were capable of all eras
(3) Never wore sunglasses on stage
(4) Had not already become a media cliche

Then maybe it would be OK.

Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:38 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
LAURAW wrote:I have always hated these guys for all of the obvious reasons. In the last few weeks I have watched some videos from last years Memphis Ultimate Contest and observed that some of these guys are amazingly talented. So much so that it is unfortunate that they don't have careers as themselves. I watched Elvis Week and Ben Portsmouth performing American Trilogy blew me away! Cody Slaughter is wonderful as part of Million Dollar Quartet. I can't help but think that these guys are good for Elvis' image. Thoughts?

If they:

(1) Were few in number
(2) Were capable of all eras
(3) Never wore sunglasses on stage
(4) Had not already become a media cliche

Then maybe it would be OK.

I would only like ETA's if :

1) They become extinct like the do-do bird and therefore no longer exist.

2) There aren't any.

Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:57 pm

They will not go away. Oddly enough, EPE ignored them for years hoping they would, but that didn't work so they started the contest to make a little money off of them (I read somewhere). It has become a huge event, the winners become stars (well, mostly In ElvisWorld) are pronounced the World's Best ETA, and play around the world and become rich. These guys are really good. It can't be a bad thing.