Off Topic Messages

Re: Obama's Foreign Policy.

Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:48 pm

paulsweeney wrote:Now, you have a President trying to seek cooperation...

LOL!

Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:54 pm

Now, you have a President trying to seek cooperation, but even that is met with the middle finger from the right...

Paul,
The Republicans are not stopping anything.

President Obama has super majorities in both the House and Senate. The Democrats can pass any legislation they want to. They don't need any Republican votes.

Obama's problems are within his own party.

RKS

Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:04 pm

RKSNASHVILLE wrote:
Now, you have a President trying to seek cooperation, but even that is met with the middle finger from the right...

Paul,
The Republicans are not stopping anything.

President Obama has super majorities in both the House and Senate. The Democrats can pass any legislation they want to. They don't need any Republican votes.

Obama's problems are within his own party.

RKS

They must be the "bad liberals."

Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:30 am

Jack and Coke wrote:

LOL!

This is what I mean about politics in America - I give up - elect Sarah Palin in 2012 :smt006

Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:44 am

paulsweeney wrote:
Jack and Coke wrote:

LOL!

This is what I mean about politics in America - I give up - elect Sarah Palin in 2012 :smt006

Hey! I thought you had our best interests at heart! At least it would provide Saturday Night Live with a few years of decent material.

Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:58 am

paulsweeney wrote:Please forgive this Canadian for my two cents again, but there used to be "good conservatives", unfortunately not anymore. Both parties used to cooperate and get along, make compromises and achieve greatness for the American people...but that has not been the case for years in Washington..Now, you have a President trying to seek cooperation, but even that is met with the middle finger from the right...

Paul, your comments are spot-on.

What rankles the conservatives so much now is they are out of power, and all the arrogance, deceit and chicanery of the previous eight years is being put to bed by President Obama.

Don't be discouraged by what you see here. There are good, fair-minded Americans, both conservative and liberal, who are much more agreeable in such discussions.

God willing, America will be a better country when the great man finishes his second term in January 2017.

Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:22 am

KingOfTheJungle wrote:
Were it the case, the losers would be the American people!

So if we follow the U.S.Constitution, the American people lose?

How can that be? The U.S. Constitution empowers the people - not the Government.

If you ignore the Constitution, as has been the case for the last several decades, the Federal Government is empowered.

Actually, the American people win when we follow the Constitution and reduce and limit the size of the Federal Government.

Remember, the U.S. Constitution begins with "We the people" not we the government.

The people form/establish and empower the government as was intended.

Are you for all powerful government or power to the people?

If you are for the people then you are for the U.S. Constitution.

If you are for big powerful government then you are against the U.S. Constitution.

It's your choice.

RKS

Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:04 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:There are good, fair-minded Americans, both conservative and liberal, who are much more agreeable in such discussions.

This coming from one of the few who in this thread who has only thrown blanket insults deriding those he disagrees with and offered nothing substantive. The same person will soon condemn someone for being offensive, but always hopes this helps.
Last edited by Jack and Coke on Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:08 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
paulsweeney wrote:Please forgive this Canadian for my two cents again, but there used to be "good conservatives", unfortunately not anymore. Both parties used to cooperate and get along, make compromises and achieve greatness for the American people...but that has not been the case for years in Washington..Now, you have a President trying to seek cooperation, but even that is met with the middle finger from the right...

Paul, your comments are spot-on.

What rankles the conservatives so much now is they are out of power, and all the arrogance, deceit and chicanery of the previous eight years is being put to bed by President Obama.

Don't be discouraged by what you see here. There are good, fair-minded Americans, both conservative and liberal, who are much more agreeable in such discussions.

God willing, America will be a better country when the great man finishes his second term in January 2017.

I know there are Doc - I'll keep the faith 8)

Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:09 am

THEMEMPHISFAN wrote:paulsweeney wrote: ".... I give up ...."

drjohncarpenter wrote: "Paul, your comments are spot-on."

Now that's the kind of cooperation I like to see from you clowns! Yes!!

THEMEMPHISFAN - The American U.S. Male!

You forgot the word conservative :wink:

Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:12 am

Jack and Coke wrote:
paulsweeney wrote:
Jack and Coke wrote:

LOL!

Hey! I thought you had our best interests at heart! At least it would provide Saturday Night Live with a few years of decent material.

Yes it would. I hope Doc is right, and the material is only used from 2017 on 8)

Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:26 am

THEMEMPHISFAN wrote:RKSNASHVILLE and Jack and Coke, Like the title of Glenn Beck's book reads - You are "arguing with idiots". They don't give a damn about the U.S. Constitution. They just want their cancerous way at any cost. They have much more respect and admiration for the likes of michael moore, ted kennedy, obama, pelosi, marx, etc. than they do for George Washington, James Madison, Thomas Jefferson, etc.

THEMEMPHISFAN - The American Conservative U.S. Male

Hope this helps

Thanks for your support, but I have not and will not refer to them as idiots. I'll leave it to Doc to throw out insults while calling others disagreeable.

Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:09 am

RKSNASHVILLE wrote:KingOfTheJungle wrote:
Were it the case, the losers would be the American people!

So if we follow the U.S.Constitution, the American people lose?

How can that be? The U.S. Constitution empowers the people - not the Government.

You are misconstruing my words, and you show little understanding for what the Constitution is. Firstly, the constitution is the very foundation of the United States Government, which is--by definition--a Government of the people, therefore it empowers the People and the Government.

Now let's revisit what what originally said.
THEMEMPHISFAN wrote:Sadly, it seems that a revolutionary war stills rages-on concerning the true meaning of the U.S. Constitution!

And the winners are................. RKSNASHVILLE, Jack and Coke, THEMEMPHISFAN, and all the good Conservatives in the United States Of America!!!!

:smt006

THEMEMPHISFAN wrote:RKSNASHVILLE and Jack and Coke, Like the title of Glenn Beck's book reads - You are "arguing with idiots". They don't give a damn about the U.S. Constitution. They just want their cancerous way at any cost. They have much more respect and admiration for the likes of michael moore, ted kennedy, obama, pelosi, marx, etc. than they do for George Washington, James Madison, Thomas Jefferson, etc.

THEMEMPHISFAN - The American Conservative U.S. Male!

Hope this helps.

"TheMemphisFan" has been arguing that if one doesn't buy a conservative reading of the Constitution, that they "don't care" about it. It's a silly and juvenile argument, but one he seems to believe nonetheless. It was modern conservatives that came up with "Constitutional" arguments such as this:
http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/declassified/archive/2010/02/19/report-bush-lawyer-said-president-could-order-civilians-to-be-massacred.aspx

Would any of you proud Constitutionalists care to tell me in which section these specific powers were enumerated?

Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:14 am

THEMEMPHISFAN - The American Conservative U.S. Male!

Hope this helps.

It doesn't

Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:17 am

THEMEMPHISFAN wrote:Glenn Beck was just calling it like he truthfully saw/sees it. Hey, I'm just sayin'.

To protect my freedom by way of the U.S. Constitution, I'll throw out ANYTHING at 'em! They're just cockroaches. Nothing more. Nothing less.
The terrorists are more trust worthy! At least they're up-front and straight-forward about being enemies of The United States Of America. Fact.

You are one of the prime reasons American politics is full of poison and you and your fellow conservatives cannot be reasoned with...it's a shame. Your comments above defy logic.
Last edited by paulsweeney on Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:12 am

paulsweeney wrote:
THEMEMPHISFAN wrote:Glenn Beck was just calling it like he truthfully saw/sees it. Hey, I'm just sayin'.

To protect my freedom by way of the U.S. Constitution, I'll throw out ANYTHING at 'em! They're just cockroaches. Nothing more. Nothing less.
The terrorists are more trust worthy! At least they're up-front and straight-forward about being enemies of The United States Of America. Fact.

You are one of prime reasons American politics is full of poison and you and your fellow conservatives cannot be reasoned with...it's a shame. Your comments above defy logic.

Amen, brother.

Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:30 pm

Excuse me gentlemen while I get a little something off my chest:

The debate here is a microcosm of the polarisation of society at large. It's worrying and certainly a fact of life here in New Zealand (albeit not as vicious as in the U.S - yet!)

I study history and propaganda in particular. Contrary to popular belief, propaganda (or it's more respectable modern term - public relations) is not about repeating a lie until it's believed, but to find a little selective piece of the 'truth' that resonates with its intended audience. That's what the Ron Paul's and the Glenn Beck's and the 'Huffington Posts' all do. None of these sources challenge the views of their intended audience, rather they seek to reinforce a pre-existing belief system.

Just my 5 cents...
Last edited by Bella on Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:32 pm

THEMEMPHISFAN wrote:paulsweeney, I love your new avatar, man. You must have taken the original photo yourself! Notice Johnny's reaction to you?
Hey, I'm just sayin'. :smt003

It was my dedication to elvisallc. glad paul liked it :smt002

Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:33 pm

KingOfTheJungle wrote: It was modern conservatives that came up with "Constitutional" arguments such as this:
http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/declassified/archive/2010/02/19/report-bush-lawyer-said-president-could-order-civilians-to-be-massacred.aspx

Would any of you proud Constitutionalists care to tell me in which section these specific powers were enumerated?

It was neo-conservatives that took over the Bush administration, and the phrase neo-conservative may sound like it means "modern conservative," but it does not. It is a misnomer, as they are not "conservative" at all, but radical. I've already stated that I didn't vote for Bush and often disagreed with him. I'm still dumbfounded how people come to the conclusion that, because someone disagrees with Obama, they must want Bush back in office. It is yet another example of using rhetoric and anecdotes to support your argument, whereas I have repeatedly used the founders' own words to support mine.

Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:14 pm

THEMEMPHISFAN wrote:Bella, Thank you so much for straightening me out! I'm ready to roll over and play dead now. Heck, who needs freedom? It's so overrated!

I hope RKSNASHVILLE reads your eye-opening post. He needs to lay his sword and shield down, also. He certainly doesn't know what's best for himself and his family, but the ungodly people in Obamaton, D.C. will lead him in the right direction.
All the propaganda talk about Jesus Christ being the Saviour of mankind needs to come to an end. It might offend someone and cause people to feel uncomfortable. We can't have that!

Freedom shmeedom.... who needs it? Nobody.
All I really need to do is have dependence on bigger government so politicians can tell me what's best for me. Hopefully I can quit my job now and depend on a monthly check from Obamaton, D.C.
I'm looking forward to the spreading of the wealth! Just think, somehow I'll be making the same amount of money (thanks to D.C.) by not working hard! I love it!
It doesn't matter that our country is getting deeper and deeper in debt everyday. Our government will just continue to print more money. Presto! Problem solved!

Thank you, Bella for putting me in my place. Please send Glenn Beck and Ron Paul an e-mail so they can wake up and see things your way. How will they know unless you tell them? They're depending on you and they don't even know it, yet!
It only makes sense that wise people from outside the U.S. borders know what's best for America!

thelittleolmemphisfan

That's it, THEMEMPHISFAN. The goal is to be agreeable, i.e. surrender. You are now a "good conservative."

Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:34 pm

THEMEMPHISFAN wrote:paulsweeney, I love your new avatar, man. You must have taken the original photo yourself! Notice Johnny's reaction to you?
Hey, I'm just sayin'. :smt003

Yes, I actually did, just after I told Mr. Cash that Richard Nixon had been elected 8)

Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:01 pm

THEMEMPHISFAN wrote:paulsweeney, Speaking of Tricky Dicky, is the movie "Elvis Meets Nixon" available on DVD in Canada? It's not available here and that's too bad because it's a funny movie. Have you ever watched it?
THEMEMPHISFAN

No it isn't, and yes I've seen it.

Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:02 pm

THEMEMPHISFAN wrote:paulsweeney, Speaking of Tricky Dicky, is the movie "Elvis Meets Nixon" available on DVD in Canada? It's not available here and that's too bad because it's a funny movie. Have you ever watched it?

Uh oh. Sorry to stray off the thread's original topic. Let's get on track -
Obama's foreign policy: Running around the world apologizing and telling everybody how bad the U.S. is.

Now we're gettin' back to the truth of the matter! :smt023

THEMEMPHISFAN

I have "Elvis Meets Nixon" on tape somewhere. Nixon did a lot of harm to the Executive branch, but he also did a lot of good, which history will recognize. He, like Elvis, had tragic personal shortcomings which led to his downfall. He was something of a "big government" Republican, and some of the issues he championed are close to the heart of today's democrats:

From Wikipedia:

Nixon believed in using government wisely to benefit all and supported the idea of practical liberalism.[87] During the Nixon administration, the United States established many government agencies, among them the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).[88] Nixon authorized the Clean Air Act of 1970, which was noted as one of the most significant pieces of environmental legislation ever signed.[89] He established the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)[75]

In 1971, Nixon proposed the creation of four new government departments superseding the current structure: departments organized for the goal of efficient and effective public service as opposed to the thematic bases of Commerce, Labor, Transportation, Agriculture, et al. Departments including the State, Treasury, Defense, and Justice would remain under this proposal.[90] He reorganized the Post Office Department from a cabinet department to a government-owned corporation: the U.S. Postal Service.

Nixon cut billions of dollars in federal spending and expanded the power of the Office of Management and Budget.[91] He established the Consumer Product Safety Commission in 1972[88] and supported the Legacy of parks program, which transferred ownership of federally owned land to the states, resulting in the establishment of state parks and beaches, recreational areas, and environmental education centers.

Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:31 pm

Jack and Coke wrote:
THEMEMPHISFAN wrote:Bella, Thank you so much for straightening me out! I'm ready to roll over and play dead now. Heck, who needs freedom? It's so overrated!

I hope RKSNASHVILLE reads your eye-opening post. He needs to lay his sword and shield down, also. He certainly doesn't know what's best for himself and his family, but the ungodly people in Obamaton, D.C. will lead him in the right direction.
All the propaganda talk about Jesus Christ being the Saviour of mankind needs to come to an end. It might offend someone and cause people to feel uncomfortable. We can't have that!

All I really need to do is have dependence on bigger government so politicians can tell me what's best for me. Hopefully I can quit my job now and depend on a monthly check from Obamaton, D.C.
I'm looking forward to the spreading of the wealth! Just think, somehow I'll be making the same amount of money (thanks to D.C.) by not working hard! I love it!
It doesn't matter that our country is getting deeper and deeper in debt everyday. Our government will just continue to print more money. Presto! Problem solved!

Thank you, Bella for putting me in my place. Please send Glenn Beck and Ron Paul an e-mail so they can wake up and see things your way. How will they know unless you tell them? They're depending on you and they don't even know it, yet!
It only makes sense that wise people from outside the U.S. borders know what's best for America!

thelittleolmemphisfan

That's it, THEMEMPHISFAN. The goal is to be agreeable, i.e. surrender. You are now a "good conservative."

Putting you in your place? Hey I was trying to provide a little perspective on the debate by questioning the source material quoted by both sides, but I realise that someone like you who is so entrenched in dogma is way beyond trying to engage in any kind of logical conversation. You obviously wait for Glenn Beck or Ron Paul to tell you what to think. They really don't give a damn, they're just trying to sell you their books and tell you what they know you want to hear.

Oh and by the way, I worked in the U.S for some time and paid my share of taxes, so I believe I've earned the 'freedom' (that word you're so quick to appropriate for yourself) to voice my opinion here in this forum thanks very much. :cheers:

Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:41 pm

Bella wrote:
Jack and Coke wrote:

thelittleolmemphisfan

Putting you in your place? Hey I was trying to provide a little perspective on the debate by questioning the source material quoted by both sides, but I realise that someone like you who is so entrenched in dogma is way beyond trying to engage in any kind of logical conversation. You obviously wait for Glenn Beck or Ron Paul to tell you what to think. They really don't give a damn, they're just trying to sell you their books and tell you what they know you want to hear.

Oh and by the way, I worked in the U.S for some time and paid my share of taxes, so I believe I've earned the 'freedom' (that word you're so quick to appropriate for yourself) to voice my opinion here in this forum thanks very much. :cheers:

Well stated Bella - but don't hold your breath - logical conversation does not seem possible on this post... 8)